Jerky Timelapses
1577 7 2021-7-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
WonkyTripod
lvl.1
Ireland

Hi

I've tried creating several timelapses now with the RS2 and my Canon R5 and using a 300 shot range, theres nearly also some jerkiness ruining the shot.
It looks as if the camera is being moved too much during a handful of the shots, resulting in a jump in the rendered video which makes it unusuable.

From googling it, it looks like a commom issue on Ronin gimbals.

The gimbal was positioned rock steady last night with no wind, and yet there were some horrible jumps in the footage.

Anyone have any tips? Are there better gimbals out there for this purpose?

2021-7-6
Use props
WonkyTripod
lvl.1
Ireland

I did some tests here at home and its better with less photos in the range. Say 120 vs 300 over the same distance.
It's still not perfectly smooth but its pretty good.  Some more experimenting to be done with the optimum number of shots....
2021-7-6
Use props
BerlinFilm
lvl.1
Germany

Hi, were you able to solve the problem? It sounds like the problem I have with my Ronin RS2. The movement between to points in timelapse or in track mode is not smooth at all, if it is a diagonal movement
2021-11-8
Use props
WonkyTripod
lvl.1
Ireland

BerlinFilm Posted at 11-8 12:11
Hi, were you able to solve the problem? It sounds like the problem I have with my Ronin RS2. The movement between to points in timelapse or in track mode is not smooth at all, if it is a diagonal movement

I havent tried it in a long time and I haven't tried a motion timelapse where I just move the camera left and right. I always tried moving left to right and included some vertical motion also (diagonal). Maybe it would work better with a straight pan left and right. I'll try it sometime.

Not sure it'll be better though. The jerks when they happen are terrible.

There has been some firmware updates but I never saw a reference to improved motion timelapses.

Its an unusable feature basically and I can't see it being fixed.
2021-11-12
Use props
WonkyTripod
lvl.1
Ireland

BerlinFilm Posted at 11-8 12:11

Hi

I ran two tests here just in my house.
First test was a level left to right pan. And if you keep the overall distance covered small, I can get smooth but not totally smooth time-lapses.  I could probably get away with using them.

Then what I did was redo the test with the same left to right distance but increase the height of the start point. And thats where it goes wrong. It can't calculate diagonal motion properly. When you render out a video at the end of the process, you get a sort of "going down a stairs" effect where in each frame it goes down then across then down then across.  But it doesnt happen all the time. Theres parts of the clip that are smooth but then theres parts that are bad. Which seems to indicate the gimbal is capable of doing it physically but its buggy and doesnt calculate the transitions properly.

Which is annoying because it means DJI should be able to fix it via firmware if they were bothered.
2021-11-12
Use props
pawelPL
lvl.2
Flight distance : 773596 ft
Poland

SAme here ...
2021-11-23
Use props
ZAHA
lvl.2
Flight distance : 623 ft
  • >>>
Romania

Hi to all.
I owned the Ronin and now the RS2 since it got released. I can tell you that this problem goes back from the first Ronin. They can do a firmware bug fix but DJI does not want to do it! I emaild them 3 years ago when I was using the Ronin. They told me to send it to China to be repaired but I would had to pay for the repair and shipping even tho I had the Ronin for a few weeks back then so it was in warranty. I then returned it to the store here in Romania and tooked another one...same problem! Then a friend of mine returned 2 of them also with the same problem. Now the RS2 has the same problem! After I bought a Zhiyun gimbal which works perfectly!!! No joke! And it's cheaper! ))) So DJI makes fun of its customers sincer...forever!
2022-3-20
Use props
WonkyTripod
lvl.1
Ireland

ZAHA Posted at 3-20 09:45
Hi to all.
I owned the Ronin and now the RS2 since it got released. I can tell you that this problem goes back from the first Ronin. They can do a firmware bug fix but DJI does not want to do it! I emaild ehem 3 years ago when I was using the Ronin. They told me to send it to China to be repaired but I would had to pay for the repair and shipping even tho I had the Ronin for a few weeks back then so it was in warranty. I then returned it to the store here in Romania and tooked another one...same problem! Then a friend of mine returned 2 of them also with the same problem. Now the RS2 has the same problem! After I bought a Zhiyun gimbal wich work perfectly!!! No joke! And it's cheaper! ))) So DJI makes fun of it's customers sincer...forever!

And I almost bought a Zhiyun...
Yes they clearly have no interest in fixing this problem. Which is a shame.

If I'm buying a gimbal again, it wont be DJI. The feature should be removed from the device if it cant be used, its ridiculous.
2022-3-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules