1132 15 2021-7-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
manxphoto
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3797825 ft
Isle of Man

Hi folks

After recent moaning about problems with the Fly app, I'd like to post something postive and that's how amazing the Mini 2 is for me shooting 360 panoramas!  I don't follow the DJI route to make them, shoot them using the Sphere panorama setting but then make the panorama on my desktop using PtGui which (in V12 anyway) almost always stitches a perfict panorama.  I then use the Kuula website to make them work before integrating them into my islandimages.im website.

Here's a link to one I shot recently - with thanks to DJI for providing the unlock for operating close to our airport (I have the required permissions) and AIr Traffic Control there for giving me clearance on the day.  It's Castle Rushen here in the Isle of Man:

http://www.island-images.co.uk/2021/2106/210606103826SP.html

Cheers DJI for making such a supe drone as the Mini 2, just need to iron out a few problems with Fly  :-)

2021-7-7
Use props
smbishop
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1786919 ft
  • >>>
United States

Beautiful!  Thanks for sharing!
2021-7-7
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

Very nice sphere, thanks for sharing!
2021-7-7
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there manxphoto. Good day and thank you for sharing these information with us. Again, thank you for your valued support and by the way thank you for sharing this cool sphere that you have created. .
2021-7-7
Use props
manxphoto
lvl.2
Isle of Man

If anyone here is interested in seeing some more of the Sphere panoramas that I shoot, together with a detailed explanation of how I create them on the computer, I have a separate section on my Island Images website for them.  I've been trying them (with more or less success!) for a few years now, but only really perfected the technique once I started using the Mini 2 at the back end of 2020.  I also sometimes use the Phantom 4 Pro for them (and have used the Spark when my Mini 2 was back at DJI) but the Mini 2 is actually the fastest and easiest to use :-)

http://www.island-images.co.uk/A ... ractive-Aerial.html
2021-7-8
Use props
Merak75
lvl.2
Flight distance : 810325 ft
United States

manxphoto Posted at 7-8 00:09
If anyone here is interested in seeing some more of the Sphere panoramas that I shoot, together with a detailed explanation of how I create them on the computer, I have a separate section on my Island Images website for them.  I've been trying them (with more or less success!) for a few years now, but only really perfected the technique once I started using the Mini 2 at the back end of 2020.  I also sometimes use the Phantom 4 Pro for them (and have used the Spark when my Mini 2 was back at DJI) but the Mini 2 is actually the fastest and easiest to use :-)

http://www.island-images.co.uk/Aerial/Global/zInteractive-Aerial.html

Thanks for this.
Can this be done with PTGui standard? The Pro version is expensive.
2021-7-8
Use props
manxphoto
lvl.2
Isle of Man

Merak75 Posted at 7-8 01:19
Thanks for this.
Can this be done with PTGui standard? The Pro version is expensive.

I think so, but if I remember correctly there isn't the 'Fill Holes' option that will auto fill the missing sky areas in the standard version.  I must give it a try without using that to see what the end result is!  I think you can d/l a trial version of PtGui to play with, it's free but watermarks all the finished results, but if good for seeing if it works for you.
2021-7-8
Use props
Merak75
lvl.2
United States

manxphoto Posted at 7-8 01:58
I think so, but if I remember correctly there isn't the 'Fill Holes' option that will auto fill the missing sky areas in the standard version.  I must give it a try without using that to see what the end result is!  I think you can d/l a trial version of PtGui to play with, it's free but watermarks all the finished results, but if good for seeing if it works for you.

I'm playing around with Pro now. The end result is great but didn't fill the sky, so it is all black. Will play around with settings to find that option.
BTW, great photos you have!
2021-7-8
Use props
manxphoto
lvl.2
Isle of Man

Once you have selected all the images to combine and click on 'Align Images', the Panorama Editor window pops up.  Go to the 'Blending' menu and there should be a box to tick 'Fill Holes' - that'll fill the missing area of sky.
2021-7-8
Use props
Merak75
lvl.2
United States

manxphoto Posted at 7-8 03:13
Once you have selected all the images to combine and click on 'Align Images', the Panorama Editor window pops up.  Go to the 'Blending' menu and there should be a box to tick 'Fill Holes' - that'll fill the missing area of sky.

Perfect, PTGui works awesome.
Fill holes is a Pro only option. I will try another app and compare then decide. Thanks again!
2021-7-8
Use props
Matite
Second Officer
Flight distance : 61096 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Merak75 Posted at 7-8 03:53
Perfect, PTGui works awesome.
Fill holes is a Pro only option. I will try another app and compare then decide. Thanks again!

Here is a post I made in another thread about panorama software:
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=244530&pid=2503003

Basically I mention 3D Panorama Studio Pro which is also great and reasonably priced. You could try it out too as there is a fully functional demo version that adds some text over the panorama file it creates. This makes it easy to see how powerful it is and whether or not you find the whole process intuitive.

Below is an example panorama I created in 3D Panorama Studio Pro. You probably noticed when there is a lot of water (or similar areas) in your photos the drone usually struggles to create a good panorama file. This is why I turned to using 3D panorama software instead.

My collection of panoramas on Skypixel:
https://www.skypixel.com/users/djiuser-r7gmyr4gjx7z

2021-7-8
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Awesome sphere.  
2021-7-8
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Matite Posted at 7-8 04:00
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=244530&pid=2503003

Awesome collection of panos.  
2021-7-8
Use props
Merak75
lvl.2
United States

Matite Posted at 7-8 04:00

This was the other one I was trying and it works great. It fills the sky.
It is cheaper in price. I will probably get this one.
Thanks so much for this post. It was very helpfull!
2021-7-8
Use props
hunterws
Second Officer
Flight distance : 382536 ft
United States

It's too bad the fly app editing can't do it as advertised.  
I tried a panorama on flyapp, couldn't even find the photos on sd or cache, much less the stitched image.
2021-7-8
Use props
Matite
Second Officer
Flight distance : 61096 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Merak75 Posted at 7-8 05:08
This was the other one I was trying and it works great. It fills the sky.
It is cheaper in price. I will probably get this one.
Thanks so much for this post. It was very helpfull!

You are welcome!

If you have any 3D Panorama Studio Pro usage questions then feel free to ask. Although, I don't think you will have any problem. I did not even read the manual as the program is very easy to figure out and usually it does an excellent job without having to do anything extra (just feed it your images and let it do its thing).

PS I am not affiliated with the software author. I just like the software and hope others can find it useful too.
2021-7-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules