How hot does your battery get this summer?
3868 38 2021-7-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kyalami
lvl.4
Flight distance : 44914321 ft
Sweden

Hi all,
In spring time when the outside temperatures were about 8 deg C I could fly for more than 20 minutes on a battery without it geting over 40 deg C. I normally set the RTH at 25 %. Today when it is about 26 deg C, I only get 13 minutes and the battery is already at 42 deg C and stop flying. So now I keep checking the temperature all the time after a while and get perhaps 11-12 min when it gets to 40 deg C, just to make sure I do not kill the battery prematurely. I also come back with 54% battery left last time. So now I set the RTH at 45% to warn me early.

I there a way to to set the the GO 4 ap to show the temp all the time of the battery instead of the %?

I fly mostely in P mode and not allways full speed.
2021-7-7
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there kyalami. Good day and thank you for these information you have posted. The DJI Mavic 2 Pro has an Operating Temperature Range of -10°C to 40°C. If the temperature gets too high to fly, the DJI Go 4 application will warn you and gives out an error message as well. Thank you and fly safe always.
2021-7-7
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Sweden

DJI Stephen Posted at 7-7 19:32
Hello there kyalami. Good day and thank you for these information you have posted. The DJI Mavic 2 Pro has an Operating Temperature Range of -10°C to 40°C. If the temperature gets too high to fly, the DJI Go 4 application will warn you and gives out an error message as well. Thank you and fly safe always.

Hi Stephen, thank you for your reply. Yes I am aware of the max plus 40 deg C operating temp. But if I fly every time until I get a notice that things are too hot, would that not cut the life time of the battery then?

I first noticed the battery getting hot some time ago and it was then about 40 deg C and got worried. At what temperature does the drone warn you that it is getting too hot?
2021-7-7
Use props
vg1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1640367 ft
Poland

You are probably talking about different temperatures:
- ambient = -10C to + 40C
- battery = + 40C and more
2021-7-8
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Sweden

vg1 Posted at 7-8 10:47
You are probably talking about different temperatures:
- ambient = -10C to + 40C
- battery = + 40C and more

Hi, Thanks for bringing this up. Yes I thought of the temperature of the battery itself, not the outsite temp.
DJI Stephen said as follows: The DJI Mavic 2 Pro has an Operating Temperature Range of -10°C to 40°C. If this is ambient (outside) temperature the drone is operating in, then I assume that the battery and drone can handle a higher inside temperature, but I do not know what that is. I did ask DJI at what inner temperature of the drone or battery is, when it is warning you, but I have not yet received a reply to that question. The Go 4 app in the phone gives me the inner temperature when I look at the battery % voltages left to fly with. Hope I get a reply soon from Stephen.
2021-7-8
Use props
vg1
lvl.4
Poland

kyalami Posted at 7-8 11:01
Hi,Yes I thought of the temperature of the battery itself, not the outsite temp.
DJI Stephen said as follows: The DJI Mavic 2 Pro has an Operating Temperature Range of -10°C to 40°C. If this is ambient (outside) temperature the drone is operating in, then I assume that the battery and drone can handle a higher inside temperature, but I do not know what that is. I did ask DJI at what inner temperature of the drone or battery is, when it is warning you, but I have not yet received a reply to that question. The Go 4 app in the phone gives me the inner temperature when I look at the battery % voltages left to fly with. Hope I get a reply soon from Stephen.

Exactly
2021-7-8
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Sweden

2021-7-8
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Sweden

DJI Stephen Posted at 7-7 19:32

Hello again Stephen. Would you please be so kind and advice how this warning appears. Does a text warning comes up and for how long time? Is there also a beep, so to draw your attention to look at the screen, as if the text warning is up for a short time only, you may easily miss it (like 5 seconds). It would also be if interest to know at about which temperature of the battery or drone this warning appears.  When this warning is shown, how long time do you have to bring back the drone? I am sure non of us would like to cause any damages to these smart batteries. Looking forward to hear from you.
Kind regards
Tony
2021-7-8
Use props
vg1
lvl.4
Poland

A very good question, but there is little chance that someone from DJI will answer. Unfortunately.
2021-7-9
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Sweden

vg1 Posted at 7-9 09:09
A very good question, but there is little chance that someone from DJI will answer. Unfortunately.

Well, I will keep on trying, otherwise I and others will never learn anything.
2021-7-9
Use props
RK7dronzy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2278898 ft
United Kingdom

I have found that my m2p in UK  that the temp at this time of the year when flying is between 40 and 50°c and no temp warning so I assume that mabey above 50°c you will get a warning. The only time I have had any warning was in the winter when the drone batt temp was below 15°c. I usually fly till 25% of batt and have no issues but time will tell. Batts all over 50 charges. Other people in hotter climes may have a different take on this especially when flying over and around volcanoes.
2021-7-10
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Sweden

RK7dronzy Posted at 7-10 03:57
I have found that my m2p in UK  that the temp at this time of the year when flying is between 40 and 50°c and no temp warning so I assume that mabey above 50°c you will get a warning. The only time I have had any warning was in the winter when the drone batt temp was below 15°c. I usually fly till 25% of batt and have no issues but time will tell. Batts all over 50 charges. Other people in hotter climes may have a different take on this especially when flying over and around volcanoes.

Tanks very much for your reply and details about the battery temperature of up to 50 deg C and no warning. Next time I fly and it is warm I will set the RTH at 25% as I usually have and see what my battery temperature is then. I was a bit worried first that this high batt temp would damage the battery. Hope DJI will come back and advice when the drone will warn you , as I have been unable to find anything about this in the manual. I feel it should be there though. Thanks again.
2021-7-10
Use props
fans1602c5a5
lvl.4
Poland

2021-7-10
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Sweden

Many thanks again for this 30 min video, which was very informative. What was new for me in this video was how to reset the battery after about 6 month or when the voltages of each cells became too different. That I did not know about. Many thanks again.
2021-7-10
Use props
Alvara74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 30364 ft
United Kingdom

I doubt there's a way to do so. Its probably a safety feature
2021-7-10
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Sweden

HI again.
I have now looked around on the internet in general and the Mavic forum and found the following regarding temperature of the battery when flying in warm weather. The conversations vary greatly, but at least I fund what the warning is saying when the battery gets too hot. Unfortunately that person did not mention at what temp the warning was when it came on. The following below is copies from other places, not my statements:

53°c is on the high side for a Lipo.

Batteries usually wont get hotter than 50°c. If they do, its time to land.

Anywhere between 10 and 60deg C is fine. Below 10C Anode playing can be an issue with above 60C carrying an accelerated rate of chemical breakdown. LiPO deliver higher current at increased operating temps.

Battery over temperature please remove the battery immediately"

I fly in florida on hot, sunny days, no greater than 100 degrees F (the max operating outside temp is 104F per DJI). When flying my AIR2S, with new batteries, I consistently get INTERNAL batt temps between 60-71 C

I haven't gotten any warnings from the app, even if I hit 75C.

They only get above 60C at about 15 minutes into the flight, then it rises to about 70 in the last 10 minutes in sport mode

At the end of flight it was 56 degrees c.

Now I would like to know at what temp the warning comes on and how long it stays on and if any beep to warn you that you have a warning and have time too look down on your phone to see what it is.

Cheers
Tony
2021-7-11
Use props
Sergey Astakhov
lvl.4
Flight distance : 122723 ft
Russia

kyalami Posted at 7-11 04:49
HI again.
I have now looked around on the internet in general and the Mavic forum and found the following regarding temperature of the battery when flying in warm weather. The conversations vary greatly, but at least I fund what the warning is saying when the battery gets too hot. Unfortunately that person did not mention at what temp the warning was when it came on. The following below is copies from other places, not my statements:

My maximum is around 61℃

Graph from logs in AirData:

Mavic2Pro_Batt_Temp.PNG
2021-7-11
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Sweden

Sergey Astakhov Posted at 7-11 09:58
My maximum is around 61℃

Graph from logs in AirData:

Interesting. Thanks for your data. Did you get any warning for this at that top temperature? I guess that its a bit cooler over at your area in Russia that here. But still 61 deg C is quite hot.
2021-7-11
Use props
Sergey Astakhov
lvl.4
Flight distance : 122723 ft
Russia

kyalami Posted at 7-11 10:54
Interesting. Thanks for your data. Did you get any warning for this at that top temperature? I guess that its a bit cooler over at your area in Russia that here. But still 61 deg C is quite hot.

No, there were no warnings about overheating during the flight (in Litchi program).
It's usually cooler, but not this summer, now it has been a continuous heat for more than a month ...
2021-7-13
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Sweden

Sergey Astakhov Posted at 7-13 03:12
No, there were no warnings about overheating during the flight (in Litchi program).
It's usually cooler, but not this summer, now it has been a continuous heat for more than a month ...

OK thanks for your reply. I do not use Litchi and only DJI Go4 on an Android phone connected to the RC. I would have thought that if there was a warning, it would have come from the Drone in the Go 4 app, If I understand this correctly?
2021-7-13
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Sweden

Finally found some information about Lipo batteries

2021-7-14
Use props
FriedChicken_II
lvl.4
Flight distance : 721555 ft

Taiwan

Your smart battery has the ability to sense its temperature. And generally you can fly all the way you want until there's a warning pop up to notify you that the batteries are too hot. And that warning is the point that you should land your drone and swap for a new battery and make your used one cool down.
2021-7-14
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Sweden

FriedChicken_II Posted at 7-14 20:46
Your smart battery has the ability to sense its temperature. And generally you can fly all the way you want until there's a warning pop up to notify you that the batteries are too hot. And that warning is the point that you should land your drone and swap for a new battery and make your used one cool down.

Thank you for your reply. Have you had this warning yourself? Yes I am aware of the warning. I am trying to find out when that warning is coming and at which temperature. BY knowing this I would be able to plan my flight better and perhaps even avoiding getting close that temperature. After all these batteries are not cheep.
2021-7-14
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Sweden

Hi all,
I have now got a reply from DJI and they say, that for the Mavic 2 Pro there is no warning coming up about high temperature of the battery in the GO 4 app. You just have to check that it does not go over the recommended temperature over 40 deg C. I feel it would be nice to have this warning or any other warnings make a couple of beeps to alert you to check your screen when the warning comes up, as I have noticed that warnings coming up on the screen only last for about 5 seconds. That is a short  time. You may just have watched the screen and see no warnings and turn to watch the craft. In that short time of 5 sec a warning may be gone when you look at the screen next time. I hade an example of a Strong Interference warning that I did not see until I came home and watched the screen recording. Just a suggestion.
2021-7-17
Use props
vg1
lvl.4
Poland

kyalami Posted at 7-14 05:51
Finally found some information about Lipo batteries

All about Lipo batteries

If I understood correctly:

high temperatures:
- the higher the temperature, the better the battery performance (max 60C),
- the higher the temperature, the lower the internal resistance,
- above 60C, the battery may be unstable,
- optimal battery temperature while flying is around 40C,

low temperatures:

- better not to fly at a battery temperature of 0C or less (reduces battery life),
- in frost, use batteries previously heated to a minimum of 10C,

battery charging:

- do not charge when the battery temperature is below 10C (shortens the battery life), warm it to a temperature of about 25C,
- the optimal temperature of the battery for charging is 25C-30C,
- temperature during charging 30C-40C.
2021-7-18
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Sweden

vg1 Posted at 7-18 04:15
If I understood correctly:

high temperatures:

Hi there vg1,

Yes you are correct and I copy here what DJI said in an e-mail to me:

Dear Tony,

Greetings from DJI!

Thank you for contacting DJI Technical Support.

We do apologize for the inconvenience that this has caused you and for the confusions.

We have every desire to address your needs and provide the best solution available to resolve your issue.

Regarding to your inquiries, please be advice and as per engineers feedback, there is no battery high temperature warning. The drone operating temperature range is -10° to 40℃. The battery Charging Temperature Range is 5℃ to 40℃.

And if you want to check the battery temperature information, he can check it on the battery information page.

For me in order to save these expensive batteries I will during summer time keep an eye on the battery temperatures and when it comes up to about 40 deg C I will return to home, just to be 100% safe. Unfortunately, this cuts down the flying time quite a bit, which is disappointing.
2021-7-18
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Sweden

Hi again,
Today, I got some further information for the company called Swedrone here in Sweden who has represent DJI for over 10 years.
They say as follows translated by google: I can not remember myself that I saw a warning in the air if the battery gets too hot, but, on the other hand, it does warns before taking off, if it is supposed to be too hot (or too cold for that matter) and also when to recharge it internal temperature is incorrect. Perhaps this type of warning when taking off and the battery is to hot, was what I have read about here in the forum and has nothing to do with a warning when flying and the battery gets too hot. This you have to look after yourself on the GO 4 app.

Hear is a link to reputable supplier of Lipo batteries and their comments about temperatures of a Lipo batteries:  https://www.gensace.de/blog/temp ... attery-performance/

I hope that now all the questions about temperatures and Lipo batteries and Mavic 2 Pro has been answered.

Wish you all a happy and safe flying tis summer.
Tony
2021-7-20
Use props
MedicFL1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4358570 ft
  • >>>
United States

kyalami Posted at 7-10 07:56
Many thanks again for this 30 min video, which was very informative. What was new for me in this video was how to reset the battery after about 6 month or when the voltages of each cells became too different. That I did not know about. Many thanks again.

Airdata . com Application has a Free plan and it shows battery temps as well as all
other information from the flight controller flies on the device your using.

Where I live, in the summer time, that temperature of 104 F would mean I would never fly.
I do keep track of the Temps and try to "Fly Easy' during these high temps and still see 134 F and above showing up.
DJI has to give you their temp recommendations as a CYA situation.
I don't think your going to get something like top or worst case information from them.
2021-7-22
Use props
FriedChicken_II
lvl.4

Hong Kong

My highest temperature when the battery is using was 63 °C and there was no warning.  Not really needed to worry about this I think. Usually the low temps kill your battery faster.
2021-7-22
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Sweden

MedicFL1 Posted at 7-22 17:40
Airdata . com Application has a Free plan and it shows battery temps as well as all
other information from the flight controller flies on the device your using.

Thanks for info on Airdata application. I will have a look at that.

Yes it is easy to come up to these temperatures. 134F is 56C and as someone has quoted, above 53C was starting to be on the high side. I guess if you have been flying with these temperatures for a year or so and do not notice any degradation on the battery, then that  is good. How many times have you been flying with those temperatures?
2021-7-22
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Sweden

FriedChicken_II Posted at 7-22 21:42
My highest temperature when the battery is using was 63 °C and there was no warning.  Not really needed to worry about this I think. Usually the low temps kill your battery faster.

Yes that is right, DJI has finally said after a few e-mails that there is no warning for high temp. As the batteries are quite expensive, I wanted to learn about them as much as possible in order to be able to keep them as long as possible without going totally over board. The odd time being on the high side may be ok, but many times may shorten their life. Time will tell. Its OK here in Sweden but I will be going down around the equator where it is much warmer. So will will be keeping a tab on this when flying and see what's happening. I guess you will know very well about hot and humid temps in Hongkong where its hot and humid almost every day, especially in the monsun season. Jus a question. How many flight at those temps have you been flying with?
2021-7-22
Use props
FriedChicken_II
lvl.4

Hong Kong

kyalami Posted at 7-22 23:54
Yes that is right, DJI has finally said after a few e-mails that there is no warning for high temp. As the batteries are quite expensive, I wanted to learn about them as much as possible in order to be able to keep them as long as possible without going totally over board. The odd time being on the high side may be ok, but many times may shorten their life. Time will tell. Its OK here in Sweden but I will be going down around the equator where it is much warmer. So will will be keeping a tab on this when flying and see what's happening. I guess you will know very well about hot and humid temps in Hongkong where its hot and humid almost every day, especially in the monsun season. Jus a question. How many flight at those temps have you been flying with?

Many, especially during summer. I even used many extended batteries (modified) so it's even easier for me to reach that temperature. However with a normal stock battery it rarely exceeds 60 °C, and even with the extended battery reaching as high as 63°C, there was still no sign of warning showing up. The only warning that I got is when trying to charge a just used battery. The LED light code told me that it was too hot to be charged at the moment.

So basically:
When you're draining power from your drone, the temperature usually doesn't matter. Unless it's really too high, however at that moment your drone would be notifying you and all you need to do is to fly your drone back slowly to reduce the load on battery.
What really make the hot temperature bad for your drone is charging. Don't charge it at a high temperature, and that's all we need to worry about.
2021-7-23
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Sweden

FriedChicken_II Posted at 7-23 03:04
Many, especially during summer. I even used many extended batteries (modified) so it's even easier for me to reach that temperature. However with a normal stock battery it rarely exceeds 60 °C, and even with the extended battery reaching as high as 63°C, there was still no sign of warning showing up. The only warning that I got is when trying to charge a just used battery. The LED light code told me that it was too hot to be charged at the moment.

So basically:

So basically:
When you're draining power from your drone, the temperature usually doesn't matter. Unless it's really too high, however at that moment your drone would be notifying you and all you need to do is to fly your drone back slowly to reduce the load on battery.

Ok I understand, so how or in what form do you get a notification from the drone that the battery is too hot when you are flying?
2021-7-23
Use props
FriedChicken_II
lvl.4

Hong Kong

kyalami Posted at 7-23 05:18
So basically:

You'll see a red notification on your DJI Go app. Like any other dangerous warnings on the app.
2021-7-23
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Sweden

FriedChicken_II Posted at 7-23 06:07
You'll see a red notification on your DJI Fly app. Like any other dangerous warnings on the app.

Is there a difference, as I have the Mavic 2 pro and the Go 4 app with an android phone?
According to DJI, they said as follows:  Regarding to your inquiries, please be advice and as per engineers feedback, there is no battery high temperature warning. The drone operating temperature range is -10° to 40℃. The battery Charging Temperature Range is 5℃ to 40℃.

I am talking about flying, not charging.
2021-7-23
Use props
FriedChicken_II
lvl.4

Hong Kong

kyalami Posted at 7-23 06:12
Is there a difference, as I have the Mavic 2 pro and the Go 4 app with an android phone?

Sorry for my mistake above, but yes you would see something very similar to this:
https://forum44.djicdn.com/data/ ... esec6tzpxttmc2t.jpg
2021-7-23
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Sweden

FriedChicken_II Posted at 7-23 06:25
Sorry for my mistake above, but yes you would see something very similar to this:
[view_image]

Ok I understand, that is the electronics in the drone doing that. Thanks for that. It is good to know and keep out for. Hope I will never see this and if so that the warning stays aon a bit longer that just 5 sec. I would have prefered a few beep warning for such an importat warning. I have aske DJI for this.
2021-7-23
Use props
FriedChicken_II
lvl.4

Hong Kong

kyalami Posted at 7-23 06:30
Ok I understand, that is the electronics in the drone doing that. Thanks for that. It is good to know and keep out for. Hope I will never see this and if so that the warning stays aon a bit longer that just 5 sec. I would have prefered a few beep warning for such an importat warning. I have aske DJI for this.

IIRC those dangerous warnings would come with a vibration from your phone in deed.
2021-7-23
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Sweden

FriedChicken_II Posted at 7-23 06:37
IIRC those dangerous warnings would come with a vibration from your phone in deed.

Excellent info, even better to know that. Thanks very much for this info.
2021-7-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules