DJI pocket 2 wide angle lens falling off
5318 28 2021-7-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mu2k
lvl.1
France

Hello DJI representatives

I bought the official Dji wide angle lens. The issue is the magnet is not strong enough to hold the lens in place and on several occasion the lens can fall off such as when its too windy, when there is vibration, or when you turn  fast the DJI pocket 2 to another direction.
Is DJI going to provide a solution to this?
2021-7-9
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Mu2k. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. This is not the experience we want you to have with your DJI Pocket 2.These information has been cascaded to the designated DJI department for further attention. Again, I am sorry and thank you.
2021-7-9
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

+1, happened to me a couple of times now.  That lens is too easy to lose.
2021-7-9
Use props
goronul
New

Thailand

+1 - I've lost my wide angle lens on 2 occassions already - once when running and another time when simply recording while on a scooter. Luckily, after a serach, I managed to find it. But I can't ever feel secure with the wide angle lens installed. I know it's not an action camera, but still, I wouldn't have expected to have to literally not run or be on a scooter to ensure the lens doesn't fall off.

The lens needs stronger magnets! ;(
2021-7-9
Use props
AlanHd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

goronul Posted at 7-9 22:07
+1 - I've lost my wide angle lens on 2 occassions already - once when running and another time when simply recording while on a scooter. Luckily, after a serach, I managed to find it. But I can't ever feel secure with the wide angle lens installed. I know it's not an action camera, but still, I wouldn't have expected to have to literally not run or be on a scooter to ensure the lens doesn't fall off.

The lens needs stronger magnets! ;(

I would be seeing if i could take out there magnets and put some of my own in.
2021-7-10
Use props
Andreacute Saacute
New

Canada

Yesterday I used my Osmo pocket 2 for the first time while I was cycling, as mention above the magnetic is not strong enough and the wide lens felt twice, I had lucky and could find both times. I’m a little disappointed with this issue, because I like to use wide lens all the time.
2021-9-7
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

While not an ideal nor a cheap solution, there are some third-party wide-angle lenses that could (possibly?) have stronger magnets in them. Some also provide additional bonuses when compared to the original DJI Pocket 2 wide-angle lens - for instance, the Freewell one has a system that enables using their wide-angle lens with the provided ND filters at the same time. That can't be done with the first-party one.

Though it has to be said that not all third-party lenses are equal or even good. I remember seeing a best-and-worst-accessories type of review video on YouTube that warned that, for instance, the Ulanzi one can cause some non-favorable vignetting and softness/distortions in picture quality.

Of course, those solutions won't help those who still have or want to use the original one - but those who have lost or broken theirs due to this design oversight could get those instead and possibly have the advantage of those sticking better to the Pocket 2.
2021-9-7
Use props
Ranjan
lvl.4
India

I am thinking of a simple solution to this problem.
I plan to use hot glue to stick thin fishing cord to lens bottom & tie the other end to the slot meant for lanyard.
Additionally a thin red florescent tape on wide lens to have high visibility at glance.
2021-9-7
Use props
slaveking
lvl.1

Netherlands

Fell of 5 times during my vacation. All the times i was lucky someone else noticed it falling.
A stronger "heavier" magnet might interfere with the gimbal movement i guess.

To be honest,  i'm not using it anymore for the fear it might fall off. Its not a cheap lens.

I would like to hear a solution from team DJI.

This topic is getting old now. I've been coming back to check for an answer from DJI Stephen and the DJI department he forwarded this case to. But it never came.
2022-1-13
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

That has happened to me too, multiple times. Luckily never lost it for good. Though I'll have to say it hasn't seen much use.

But hearing again from DJI would certainly be welcome.
2022-1-14
Use props
rbueno
lvl.1
Philippines

Just lost mine tonight while riding my e-scooter. I tried to retrace my route, but I can no longer find it. I hesitate to replace it because it’s expensive and could fall off again! DJI, can you address this, please???
2022-1-24
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I recall mine coming off and the problem was that the magnet is lightly glued onto the lens, and the glue had failed.  Maybe a stronger magnet would require stronger glue.
2022-1-24
Use props
Pinkerfloyd
lvl.1
Flight distance : 153248 ft
United Kingdom

Lost the lense on first use  - fell off the camera on location and didn't find it. The second time the new lens fell out of the carry case housing as have the android and apple connectors! DGI should do away with the magnet idea and have a proper twist on fastening. I'm not going to buy any more bits that have clearly been designed to fall off!
2022-4-5
Use props
Denisth
lvl.2

Thailand

Pinkerfloyd Posted at 4-5 05:20
Lost the lense on first use  - fell off the camera on location and didn't find it. The second time the new lens fell out of the carry case housing as have the android and apple connectors! DGI should do away with the magnet idea and have a proper twist on fastening. I'm not going to buy any more bits that have clearly been designed to fall off!

I am using CPL and ND filters from STARTRC. No problems about magnets... Cheap and very strong. Never fall. If STARTRC release a wide angle, i will buy it.
2022-4-5
Use props
Gawain
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I only use the camera with the wide angle lens attached, so I've taped it on with seam sealant take. Otherwise, I agree with everyone: the magnets are far too weak to be considered secure.
2022-4-6
Use props
Psoon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16279465 ft
  • >>>
Canada

slaveking Posted at 1-13 00:50
Fell of 5 times during my vacation. All the times i was lucky someone else noticed it falling.
A stronger "heavier" magnet might interfere with the gimbal movement i guess.

It was a good idea, but not well engineered and I don’t think there’s an easy solution due to the limits of magnets in this tiny dimensions. When I lost my wide angle lens during a hike I never bothered with replacing it as it was just too expensive for its limited use. Love both of my Pockets nevertheless
2022-4-9
Use props
djiuser_cOtOwwJGTzez
lvl.1

United Kingdom

just found this forum . Lost my lens today , must have fell out of the case . I had only bought it as well so not impressed . what can dji do about this obvious design flaw ? Probably nothing . Would be nice to get a replacement .
2022-6-12
Use props
djiuser_cOtOwwJGTzez
lvl.1

United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 2021-7-9 02:31
Hello there Mu2k. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. This is not the experience we want you to have with your DJI Pocket 2.These information has been cascaded to the designated DJI department for further attention. Again, I am sorry and thank you.

Did Dji do anything about this ?
2022-6-12
Use props
uma1r
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Gawain Posted at 2022-4-6 01:37
I only use the camera with the wide angle lens attached, so I've taped it on with seam sealant take. Otherwise, I agree with everyone: the magnets are far too weak to be considered secure.

Hi,

Can you please show a picture or which seem sealant you used?     Tape or Just glue?
2023-7-27
Use props
dowright82
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10655440 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, I lost mine after only using it for 2 days - while running with my dog on leash - didn't notice it was gone until I got home to check my footage - -- for such a well designed product, everyone who has purchased the lens should get a credit towards another accessory as it's no longer reliable enough to use for b-roll unless you have a 2nd person whose sole job is watching it to make sure it stays on.  You'd think they would have included a lanyard loop for us at least! Most camera lens-caps have some sort of backup plan.  Plus, the mini 3 pro seems to use the exact same camera, and the attachment for their accessories is bullet-proof.  Twist on with one click.  Never falls off.   COME ON GUYS!
2023-8-3
Use props
Psoon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16279465 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Lost mine within the first month of ownership more than 2 yrs ago and never bothered replacing it as I figured it’ll happen again. The Pocket needs an attachment system like on the Mini 3 Pro’s camera. Pocket 3 maybe?
2023-8-4
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

dowright82 Posted at 8-3 23:27
Yes, I lost mine after only using it for 2 days - while running with my dog on leash - didn't notice it was gone until I got home to check my footage - -- for such a well designed product, everyone who has purchased the lens should get a credit towards another accessory as it's no longer reliable enough to use for b-roll unless you have a 2nd person whose sole job is watching it to make sure it stays on.  You'd think they would have included a lanyard loop for us at least! Most camera lens-caps have some sort of backup plan.  Plus, the mini 3 pro seems to use the exact same camera, and the attachment for their accessories is bullet-proof.  Twist on with one click.  Never falls off.   COME ON GUYS!

Hello there! We apologize for the delay in response and for any inconvenience this experience has caused. We appreciate and take our customers feedback and opinions seriously. I will forward it to the relevant team for review. Please stay tuned to our official website for any updates. Thank you for your patience and kind understanding.
2023-8-4
Use props
smbishop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1786919 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hopefully this will be fixed with the Pocket 3, is it coming soon?
2023-8-12
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

smbishop Posted at 8-12 12:44
Hopefully this will be fixed with the Pocket 3, is it coming soon?

Haven't heard much of Pocket 3 lately, just unconfirmed rumours. Some even suspect there won't be a third one, but time will tell.
2023-8-14
Use props
djiuser_n8aS2KIR7FaZ
New
Singapore

Dropped mine a few times too. Is there a workaround or solution to this?
2023-11-6
Use props
abercrombie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1572543 ft
  • >>>
United States

Lost 2 ND filters already and had to rebuy them. So, from now on I cut thin strips of gaffer tape and stick it on to my case so when reach for an ND filter, the strips are there to secure the filters.
2023-11-18
Use props
Roberto Garcia2
New

Mexico

Poor customer service!
DJI does not care about this issue, they will do nothing to solve this.
1-6 21:06
Use props
Superjef
New

Belgium

DJI Diana Posted at 2023-8-4 10:02
Hello there! We apologize for the delay in response and for any inconvenience this experience has caused. We appreciate and take our customers feedback and opinions seriously. I will forward it to the relevant team for review. Please stay tuned to our official website for any updates. Thank you for your patience and kind understanding.

Bought the DJI Pocket 2 especially for our trip to NY. During the trip, I noticed twice that the wide angle lens wasn't placed correctly in the holder anymore, so I fixed it twice. The third time I noticed the lens was gone completely and didn't find it back.

Sad to have lost it in the first week already. Reading the comments here, I didnt lose it by using it wrong but because of a technical issue. Could there be a solution to get it replaced?
4-9 12:11
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Superjef Posted at 4-9 12:11
Bought the DJI Pocket 2 especially for our trip to NY. During the trip, I noticed twice that the wide angle lens wasn't placed correctly in the holder anymore, so I fixed it twice. The third time I noticed the lens was gone completely and didn't find it back.

Sad to have lost it in the first week already. Reading the comments here, I didnt lose it by using it wrong but because of a technical issue. Could there be a solution to get it replaced?

Hello, there. Sorry to hear about your incident. May we confirm if you managed to report this situation with our support? If not, please contact our support at www.dji.com/support for immediate assistance. We thank you for your cooperation and understanding.
4-9 14:25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules