Altitude error in P4RTK-D-RTK 2
2542 1 2021-7-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
roro_igo
New

Chile

Hello everyone.

I recently acquired the Phantom 4rtk drone with its respective D-rtk-2. Many times for my work I need to solve topographical problems and I acquired this drone with the intention of not relying on control points. I don't need pinpoint accuracy and from what I read this computer provides it to me.  

I made my first drone flight in an area with a topography that varies from 7 meters above sea level to 44, according to the topography I was given when I arrived at the project.

The flight was in the 2D mode of dji fly, connecting the Rtk with a connection to 21 satellites. The altitude was 100 meters as it had to cover an area of 7 hectares.

The flight was performed in normal weather conditions except for a thin layer of very high clouds.

Now I explain what I did before I flew:

1.                   My first problem was when installing the RTK station. When I activated it and it showed its location, the x and y coordinates appeared that I assume were fine. After that enter these coordinates in the setting of the D-DRtk-2 as the tutorial says. The problem was when I wanted to put the altitude of the equipment in which I was marked that we were 60 meters above sea level. Almost 18 meters more than the surveyors had measured for the same place.

2.                   I enter the doubt and change my position to another place with a lower level exactly 20 meters above sea level and the device frame me 30 meters.

3.                   After this I told myself that these errors will most likely be corrected in the post-process. Enter the values as the tutorial says.

4.                   Having purchased the photos, I go on to process it first in dji terra as I am occupying the free month they give. Perform a 2D orthophotomosaic. the results in x and y were impressive and be very satisfied.

5.                   When I saw the DSM that generated this flight, my doubts began. Some places had 20 meters of altitude where the actual measure is 7 or 10.

6.                   Make 3 more flights, one 3D in the same DJI application, another 2d but with a different grid, do not activate the image correction in the application as I read it was recommended, take oblique photos at the end of the flight. etc.

7.                   The 3D model threw the same error at the z-axis in both dji terra and Agisoft photoscan.

8.                   In some forums I read that the camera had to be calibrated, but as I am a novice in this I did not understand how it was done.

9.                   I am really frustrated as this is not a low cost equipment and I thought it would help me in my work.

10.               Although when checking the plan of the project in 2D fits perfectly and there are minimal variations, no more than 2 CM on the z-axis I have almost 20 meters of error!

I would like you to help me solve this problem. I would be very grateful.

2021-7-9
Use props
patiam
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1118740 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you're comparing elevations measured relative to MSL to those from the P4 RTK without accounting for the difference in datums (D-RTK 2 / P4R work in Height Above Ellipsoid or HAE unless you force it to do otherwise), then they won't agree. Find out the difference between HAE and MSL for your location and apply it in Terra (f you can) and/or Agisoft. That should shift your entire project in Z to match the surveyor's topography data you were given.

More on vertical datums here:
https://eos-gnss.com/knowledge-b ... ation-for-beginners

BTW this thread should be moved to the P4 RTK forum.

2021-8-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules