710 15 2021-7-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GeoffG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 810082 ft
United Kingdom

Hi,
I have a Mini 2 combo on hire next week and may need to be able to re-charge in the field occasionally (no mains voltage available).  I can see that the hub is fed by a mains powered usb c charger and that the spec for the hub is 5v, 9v or 12v input.

Two questions please:
1. How can I feed 12vdc into the hub - I think the only socket on the hub seems to be a USB C?  I'm guesssing that would mean using a 12v to USB convertor (5v) (vehicle type).
2.  Has anyone used the supplied mains USB charger with a 12vdc to mains inverter?  I know that some switched mode power supplies don't work with inverters.  I'm not keen on using this method because there is a heavy overhead to drive the inverter module.

Any experience or thoughts appreciated.

2021-7-10
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

I just used the cable that came with the charging hub and plugged it into the USB plug for charging the phone in my car.

Normally a cigar lighter plug with USB outlet will do too.

Wouldn't complicate it with 12V to mains converters.
2021-7-10
Use props
GeoffG
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Thanks.  Yes, that does seem to be the best way to go.
I was hoping that I could use a direct 12v supply because I have qute a few 12v lead acid batteriy sets with fuses etc. which I use with other 12v chargers for Inspire and Phantom batteries.

Perhaps DJI could comment on this -  The manual says 12v, 9v or 5v - so how do I get 12v into it please.

2021-7-10
Use props
MySky
lvl.4
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

It is some kind of intelligence the charging circiut is able to switch between automatically if the charging source is able to provide more than 5V like quick charge on mobile phones.
It starts at 5V and switches to 9V or 12V if possible, but you cannot feed the charging hub directly with a normal 12V source.
2021-7-11
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Malaysia

MySky Posted at 7-11 00:25
It is some kind of intelligence the charging circiut is able to switch between automatically if the charging source is able to provide more than 5V like quick charge on mobile phones.
It starts at 5V and switches to 9V or 12V if possible, but you cannot feed the charging hub directly with a normal 12V source.

probably a voltage regulator IC in the hub with a minumum input of 5V and a maximum of 12V, geving an output of just 5V.

2021-7-11
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Malaysia

GeoffG Posted at 7-10 23:05
Thanks.  Yes, that does seem to be the best way to go.
I was hoping that I could use a direct 12v supply because I have qute a few 12v lead acid batteriy sets with fuses etc. which I use with other 12v chargers for Inspire and Phantom batteries.

Maybe you can use a cigar lighter plug converter into USB to simply go from a 2 lead 12V to a USB connector. In a car shop you probably can find a spare cigar lighter part.
2021-7-11
Use props
GeoffG
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Thanks for the comments.  
It does seen strange that DJI would specify that three different input voltage levels may be used.  That suggests that those options are available as charging source voltages.  I thinks it's likely that, as MySky says,  the input to the charging system is able to cope with that range of voltages but a complete mystery why DJI dont give you an adapter to connect to recognized sockets for those voltage standards, such as a cigar lighter.

DJI's mistake, I think.
2021-7-11
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

UK here too - Im using one of these with good success.   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124522134627
2021-7-12
Use props
GeoffG
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 7-12 01:08
UK here too - Im using one of these with good success.   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124522134627

That's what I used (similar version) which works perfectly well.  
I'm just rattled that if DJI say that it will accept a 12vdc input then you should be able to use it directly with a 12v input and not need a 12v / 5v adapter.
Best alter your manual and put it right DJI !!
2021-7-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GeoffG Posted at 7-14 06:55
That's what I used (similar version) which works perfectly well.  
I'm just rattled that if DJI say that it will accept a 12vdc input then you should be able to use it directly with a 12v input and not need a 12v / 5v adapter.
Best alter your manual and put it right DJI !!

You'd still need an adapter that can produce the PD protocol to negotiate the charging to use.
2021-7-14
Use props
GeoffG
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 7-14 23:25
You'd still need an adapter that can produce the PD protocol to negotiate the charging to use.

Quite.  But it's not the power delivery I'm carping on about though - just having to go through an intermediate 12/5v regulator rather than put 12v straight into it, which DJI say you can do.

I don't use 5v (also called "power bank") battery packs generally, because lead-acid are cheap, easy to charge and functional (and heavy!).

2021-7-15
Use props
Alvara74
Second Officer
Flight distance : 30364 ft
United Kingdom

I'm not sure, but perhaps you can use a portable charger?
2021-7-15
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GeoffG Posted at 7-15 05:13
Quite.  But it's not the power delivery I'm carping on about though - just having to go through an intermediate 12/5v regulator rather than put 12v straight into it, which DJI say you can do.

I don't use 5v (also called "power bank") battery packs generally, because lead-acid are cheap, easy to charge and functional (and heavy!).

But lead acid batteries cannot negotiate what voltage to charge at or when to stop supplying power.
2021-7-15
Use props
GeoffG
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 7-15 08:49
But lead acid batteries cannot negotiate what voltage to charge at or when to stop supplying power.

I think we need to differentiate between intelligent USB3 chargers and basic USB power adapters.

The former are able to receive a data signal from the device and adjust their outputs accordingly.
USB adapters just supply a 5vdc output (USB spec) to the connected device.  They have no connection on the data pins so cannot receive voltage level adjustment data.

This means that you can use a USB adapter (providing it's the correct spec.) to provide a 5vdc supply to the charging hub.  The hub should ask the adapter whether it has a higher voltage (and higher power therefore) available, but will receive no response from the adapter.  The hub will use the 5vdc as a power supply.
This should mean that you can use any appropriately rated USB spec. power source, with correctly rated cable, to feed the hub.  A 240 / 220 or 110vac to 5vUSB,  or 12vdc to 5vUSB will work.

It also means that you cannot use anything other than a USB C terminated cable to feed the hub, so you definitely cannot use an independant 9vdc or 12vdc power supply.

The above are simply my opinions.  DJI, as the manufacturer should elaborate this, and change the description of the device accordingly if they think fit.

2021-7-16
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Meaning no offense but do DJI say that you can use a straight forward 12V etc. source? I have seen mention of using USB chargers that can supply various voltages but that is USB chargers not a straight forward 12V etc. source.
Since these hubs seem to be designed to use a 'USB' connection to supply power to the hub I doubt that many people would have the inclination to make up or buy a connector that would allow them to hook the hub up to a simple 12V  supply.
If DJI had intended that surely a simple jack plug would have sufficed.

It would be simple enough to attach a 12V cigarette lighter socket to a lead acid battery and then plug a 12V USB charger into that and then use a normal USB cable etc. I have seen 12V cigarette lighter USB chargers that can put out 2A etc. but I haven't looked into how they do that or what voltages they put out.

2021-7-17
Use props
GeoffG
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 7-17 02:42
Meaning no offense but do DJI say that you can use a straight forward 12V etc. source? I have seen mention of using USB chargers that can supply various voltages but that is USB chargers not a straight forward 12V etc. source.
Since these hubs seem to be designed to use a 'USB' connection to supply power to the hub I doubt that many people would have the inclination to make up or buy a connector that would allow them to hook the hub up to a simple 12V  supply.
If DJI had intended that surely a simple jack plug would have sufficed.

Hi Sean,
When I posted this thread I was awaiting a mini 2 on hire, so had not seen the hardware.

I just make the point that when you see "Input voltage 5, 9 or 12vdc" then it should be just that.
DJI and other atfermarket suppliers do provide 12vdc chargers for many of their other drones, so not unreasonable to expect it from this one.

And yes, you can use a 12/5vUSB adapter - just another thing to carry and possibly go wrong.  
2021-7-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules