Osmo Action playback on old pc with VLC player
3229 7 2021-7-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_v1HUqF2iFsrg
lvl.1

Belgium

Hi,
It's been a week since I have my Osmo Action.
I wasn't impressed... Stutter, jitter, artifacts on top of the screen while playing on my pc.
I'ts a 5 jear old pc with 16 Gb ram but it works ok.
One week of testing all kinds of Fps-Shutter-Resolution combos. All Meh...
At first I didn't know any better. thought those Youtube revieuwers cheated and enhanced their vids in post or whatever (yes, I'm new at this )
I edited the footage, changed codex, updated (reinstalled) VLC player, AMD grafics card drivers, windows
Watched like 86 youtube vids...
Nothing helped.
It's not just VLC, Other media players gave me the same problem, like the vsdc video editor, and windows cinema player.
Today I put a video on a loop to study the problem...
Some issues got worse as the clip kept looping.
I realized this had nothing to do with my camera so I put some files on a USB and tried it on my son's laptop.
It looked great ! really smooth.
4 hours later I found out that (most) of the stutter and all the artifacts go away if I turned off Hardware Acceleration in VLC player options.
Thats great but it raises some questions...
I can play hundreds of movies and clips from my media collection without any problems.
The only files that look bad are the Osmo's mp4. (1080 and 2,7 resolution - pc can't handle 4k)
And why does the problem remain even if i've re-rendered them to avi or mpeg ?

Is there something special I should now about this codex?
I'd buy a new PC but then what. If I can't use hardware acceleration...it's kind of useless so...

Question : Any good Grafics card you recommend that does,'t have this problem?
I was thinking of buying an RTX 3060. Does anyone here use this card in combination with Osmo?

Anyway, thanks for reading.

2021-7-11
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

As you learn your cam:

like old stuff,  in time you ill update to  be in todays tymes
2021-7-12
Use props
4wd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Try this player it uses less resources and will often play smoother.
https://mpv.io/
2021-7-12
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. I hope that our fellow DJI members who owns the DJI Osmo Action can give out what Graphics Card and Software they are using to watch and edit there videos captured using there DJI Osmo Action. Thank you.
2021-7-12
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Do you use laptop or desktop computer?
16GB of ram have nothing to do with video, how much graphic memory do you have? How fast cpu?
Try turning off hardware acceleration, to see if it helps.

I think you should try to reinstall windows or atleast clean it up + install new drivers.

Geforce 3060 is a really good graphic card.
2021-7-13
Use props
djiuser_v1HUqF2iFsrg
lvl.1

Belgium

johansenfoto Posted at 7-13 00:26
Do you use laptop or desktop computer?
16GB of ram have nothing to do with video, how much graphic memory do you have? How fast cpu?
Try turning off hardware acceleration, to see if it helps.

Aspire TC-280 Desktop
AMD A10-7800 Radeon R7, 4C+8G cores, 3,5 GHz
16 MB Ram
Graphics
AMD Radeon R7 430 , 2 Gb
---------------------------------------
yes, turning off hardware acceleration helps.
However, I don't' want to have to turn it off when I buy a new PC of course.
That 's why I'd like to know what's happening.
Because I've seen some similar complaints  by people with new pc's...
Just want to be sure I'll be buying the right hardware for video editing. Cause this R7 430 card doesn't seem to like the Osmo's  MP4 format.  
I've updated the drivers but it didn't help. It's fine for now with hardware acceleration of, for some light 1080 res editing .
2021-7-13
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

djiuser_v1HUqF2iFsrg Posted at 7-13 01:21
Aspire TC-280 Desktop
AMD A10-7800 Radeon R7, 4C+8G cores, 3,5 GHz
16 MB Ram

I just checked and I have hardware acceleration on Automatic, but my computer is a desent gaming rig.
Your graphic card is probably your bottleneck, 2 GB of ram is not much + it looks like your PC is not ment for even gaming on even medium graphic.
OA MP4 doesn't need that much juice to play.

I have 2070 Super graphic card, and I can export 4K videos in real time using Davinci Resolve with CUDA enabled for encoding. 3060 is even faster.

When you buy a new computer, never buy any brand complete computers like Acer (yours), HP and so on, better to buy each components seperate and build it up yourself (or get help building).
Because then it's easier to later upgrade when needed.
2021-7-13
Use props
Schmoof
lvl.2
United States

there is something wrong with your computer if you can't play a simple video clip from your OA with VLC... editing requires horsepower, not playback... good luck sorting it out

i can play 4K videos on my oldest computer which I built in 2012... if your computer is really only 5 years old, something is wrong

2021-7-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules