Which tablet/OS?
3067 17 2015-7-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kleake1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1361040 ft
United States

I know this has been discussed before, but I can't find a consensus and now i'm in the market so i'm wanting opinions.  I currently use a Samsung Galaxy S5 or S6 and they both work fine, but I want a larger screen.  I had an older android tablet and while it's screen is large enough, it was VERY slow and it never showed any video, just iosd info and such, but obviously it's not going to work.  My wife has an iPad mini and I thought, woohoo,,, I'll try that.  Maybe that banana device will come in handy!!!  Wrong, it's the first gen ipad mini and isn't compatible even though it's not THAT old.  Pretty sad because it looked to be a good fit otherwise.  Sooo,,, I am looking for a faster tablet with about an 8" screen, give or take.  I'm not a fan of the banana products, however I hear rumble that the app is better on the ios devices.  So 2 main questions:

1. Should I go Android or ios and the reason why you feel that way?

2. What device do you use that seems to work well and you are happy with and your reasons?

Thoughts?
2015-7-23
Use props
dlongcamp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 755988 ft
  • >>>
United States

For me the winner is the iPad air 2.  Its works perfectly.  I know its a larger tablet than what your probably looking for but with the A8 processor it can handle everything quite well.  I haven't experienced any lag issues just nice smooth video.   I did end up buying a inspire 1 device holder to replace the one that came with the phantom and it is rock solid with no wobble now.   
2015-7-23
Use props
Adamation
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Go either Ipad Air or Shield Tablet, I will never buy apple again so its clear which one im going for - Adam
2015-7-23
Use props
mark_Dags
lvl.1

Canada

I've been using the Ipad mini 2 with no problems.  
2015-7-23
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Here's a list of commonly used devices:
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/which-device-s-do-you-use-to-run-the-dji-pilot-app.48525

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-7-23
Use props
kleake1
lvl.3
United States

Holy moly, that Shield is a bit pricey!  I looked at a few in the lower price range, but am really iffy.  Don't want to spend a ton on a dedicated tablet, but don't want lag and such later.  These are some that "appeared" nice on the surface.  I didn't get over to look at the iPads.  Another thing, having 4G would be nice, but definitely not a requirement.

Dell Venue 8 (V8TBL-3334blk)     8" Atom Z3480, 16Gb, 1920x1200 - For the price it looks very good, but how does it perform?     $129
Samsung Galaxy Tab 4               7" Quad core,     8Gb, 1280x800   - Seems many are using this device, but it's got less memory.  $149
Asus Zenpad (Z580C-B1)            8" Quad core,    32Gb, 2048x1536 - Looks nice, good screen, seems like a good fit.                     $199
Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro        10.1" Quad core,   16Gb, 2560x1600 - Looks good, larger than planned, but sale price is tempting.   $299

Edit: Does anyone know the differences between the android and ios devices as far as the pilot app goes?  I've heard people like the ios better, but what is really better about it?
2015-7-23
Use props
CaveDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11549 ft
United States

Galaxy Tab A,  so far no problems  9.7 inches,  just fits.  use a sun hood and anti-glare film and set to airplane mode
2015-7-23
Use props
Rigworker
Second Officer
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

kleake1@gmail.c Posted at 2015-7-24 05:26
Holy moly, that Shield is a bit pricey!  I looked at a few in the lower price range, but am really i ...

I use the tab 4. Memory isn't be an issue if you just use it for you phantom. I put on an anti glare screen protector that made a huge difference. No need for a hood so far.
2015-7-23
Use props
kevinr621
lvl.2
Flight distance : 36427 ft
United States

I'm using the IPad 2 Air 64GB , no problems what-so-ever. Pricey i agree,  but I use it for many other things as well. You either love Apple products or hate them, to each their own... I love the large display.
2015-7-23
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

Here's the deal in a nut shell.

DJI has tested their software and hardware with the devises listed on the Pilot app requirements. If you deviate from that list and have problems, too bad so sad, forget about support.

The IOS version of the Pilot app allows you to view the control sticks in your playback, and the Droid version doesn't support this. IOS being a closed eco-system controls the hardware and software. A lot easier to develop software since it's all the same unlike Android.

More people have posted issues with Droid tablets than Apple versions. It's like the early days of the PC verses MAC. You want to work on it, got Droid, you want it to run out of the box, go Apple.
2015-7-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Yes, using the best in the Wild West...
For me, the choice was easy, paying for it was the difficult part.
iPad Air 2 64GB Cellular... It's the only way to fly, United. Hahaha

Get with the program, Mr!!  ;-)

Enjoy your Phantom 3, to the max. Get fruity, Go Apple. Hahaha

RedHotPoker

2015-7-23
Use props
kleake1
lvl.3
United States

Looks like a lot of people seem to like the banana devices.  Being in IT, i've never been a fan of their proprietary things, however, also being in IT I know there are some areas that they excel, and photo/video is one of them.  I pretty much ban all fruity devices in my house, all the way up until I won the ipad mini that my wifed was using.  She liked it for the most part, but it was due to it's size more than anything.  Now I just wish it was supported as it's not used for anything else.
2015-7-24
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

kleake1@gmail.c Posted at 2015-7-24 23:17
Looks like a lot of people seem to like the banana devices.  Being in IT, i've never been a fan of t ...

I feel the same about Android.

My 8o year old father decided he needed a "smart phone". One of his friends was trying to talk him into a Droid. Told him, you buy a Droid, find someone to fix what you screw up, I'm not touching it.

He's the proud owner of a iPhone 6.
2015-7-24
Use props
kleake1
lvl.3
United States

Like what was said earlier, you either love them or hate them.  I think both are good but it's more of a learning process.  If you are familiar with one, you always hate the other when you switch because it doesn't operate the same as you are used to.  
2015-7-24
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
Second Officer
Flight distance : 692090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Anyone using the Nexus 7?
2015-7-24
Use props
kleake1
lvl.3
United States

Well, I almost went with the Zenpad for the price, but considered the ipad mini.  Turns out they were having a sale on the ipad Air2 so I ended up going that route.  It's a little bigger than I planned, but it is very nice to see while flying.  I do see some enhancement in the ios app, but I can't say they are all that much of a benefit, but I haven't had much time to really evaluate.  I will say it has been very stable and a very solid platform so far.  I will say that I think apple charges way too much for what you get though.  If I wanted to add LTE to the ipad, the price jumps a LOT!
2015-7-27
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

You made an informed purchase.
Congratulations, on the iPad Air 2, it's a brilliant & great match, for the Pilot App.
As you navigate the app, and then cruise around the block, be sure to follow the safety rules.

Have fun.

RedHotPoker
2015-7-27
Use props
kleake1
lvl.3
United States

I ended up returning the awesome deal I got on the ipad air 2..........   And got the cellular version of the ipad air 2....  Without GPS on the wi-fi only version, it's a dealbreaker to me.  Can't set my location as the home point, and likely won't be able to do the follow me (once released) without it.   Luckily for me, within the 14 day return policy the cell version also went on sale, but only for $100 off instead of $125, so it still cost me twice as much as a decent android device.
2015-8-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules