Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Secret Launch Trick DJI MIni 2 / How to Hand Launch and Land / Hi...
123Next >
3163 86 7-12 00:44
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 1346821 ft
United Kingdom

Secret Launch Trick DJI MIni 2 / How to Hand Launch and Land / Hidden Feature / Catch & Release

7-12 00:44
Use props
DJI Stephen
Super Moderator

Hello there DAFlys. Good day and thank you for sharing this video that you have came upon. Just a reminder that DJI may not suggest hand-catching or hand launch your DJI drone for the flight safety concern. Thank you and stay safe always.
7-12 02:56
Use props
Alvara74
First Officer

United Kingdom

The trick is to catch it quickly so the sensors don't have time to respond
7-12 03:49
Use props
Alvara74
First Officer

United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 7-12 02:56
Hello there DAFlys. Good day and thank you for sharing this video that you have came upon. Just a reminder that DJI may not suggest hand-catching or hand launch your DJI drone for the flight safety concern. Thank you and stay safe always.

As long as you know what to do, I think its safe
7-12 03:50
Use props
Copenhagen Chris
lvl.2
Flight distance : 126781 ft
United States

Might seem like a strange idea, but I have been thinking about carrying around a small-ish pizza peel (as a hand-held landing pad in cases where there's no "land"), instead of catching this by hand.
7-12 04:34
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 706765 ft
United States

Copenhagen Chris Posted at 7-12 04:34
Might seem like a strange idea, but I have been thinking about carrying around a small-ish pizza peel (as a hand-held landing pad in cases where there's no "land"), instead of catching this by hand.

One of these is far more portable.

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=dro ... mp;ref=nb_sb_noss_2
7-12 05:09
Use props
DowntownRDB
Captain
Flight distance : 525 ft
United States

Nice find DA.  Love the silly footage at the very end of the video.  
7-12 05:12
Use props
DowntownRDB
Captain
Flight distance : 525 ft
United States

Copenhagen Chris Posted at 7-12 04:34

As I live on a 62' boat I launch/recover by hand all my drones.  Just a matter of practice and always being mindful of the wind conditions and being safe.  No cuts or accidents to date.
7-12 05:13
Use props
Copenhagen Chris
lvl.2
Flight distance : 126781 ft
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 7-12 05:09
One of these is far more portable.

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=drone+landing+pad&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Yep, those are great when there's actual "land" to put it on, but if you're in a kayak, canoe, etc, I'd think those are less than ideal, no? Holding a "landing platform" seems like a better approach than hand-landing, IMO.
7-12 05:24
Use props
kyalami
First Officer
Flight distance : 11007070 ft
Sweden

That was nice to know Da. Assume it is the same for the Mavic 2 Pro. The grass is growing quite tall here now, so I would prefer to hand catch it instead of moving some grass.
7-12 07:32
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
United Kingdom

kyalami Posted at 7-12 07:32
That was nice to know Da. Assume it is the same for the Mavic 2 Pro. The grass is growing quite tall here now, so I would prefer to hand catch it instead of moving some grass.

No,  the M2P doesn't do a nudge launch.
7-12 09:29
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2133671 ft
Netherlands

Very nice find!
7-12 09:30
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
United Kingdom

cheers Peter.   
7-12 09:32
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Netherlands

You're welcome!
7-12 09:34
Use props
GaryDoug
Captain
Flight distance : 1040705 ft
United States

By the way, I discovered that, by accident as most have ........ you don't have to toss it up, I just let my hand drop away and it still launches fine....maybe not so fine in a strong wind and gets me in the face ;-)
7-12 18:42
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
United Kingdom

GaryDoug Posted at 7-12 18:42
By the way, I discovered that, by accident as most have ........ you don't have to toss it up, I just let my hand drop away and it still launches fine....maybe not so fine in a strong wind and gets me in the face ;-)

That was lucky,   if it didnt do that like the m2p it could have ended badly.     I normally don't throw mine just a gentle push up with no more than a hand action.
7-12 23:13
Use props
kyalami
First Officer
Flight distance : 11007070 ft
Sweden

DAFlys Posted at 7-12 09:29
No,  the M2P doesn't do a nudge launch.

Hi Da,
Not sure I understand what a "nudge launch" is Is that when he threw the started drone up in the air from his hand?
7-13 01:06
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
United Kingdom

kyalami Posted at 7-13 01:06
Hi Da,
Not sure I understand what a "nudge launch" is Is that when he threw the started drone up in the air from his hand?

Just a gentle push up.  If you had a ball in your hand it would go up about 6 inches.
7-13 12:02
Use props
GaryDoug
Captain
United States

DAFlys Posted at 7-12 23:13
That was lucky,   if it didnt do that like the m2p it could have ended badly.     I normally don't throw mine just a gentle push up with no more than a hand action.

Lucky? I don't see how since I have done that maybe 20 or more times so far. Maybe I should play the lottery ;-)
7-13 17:32
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
United Kingdom

GaryDoug Posted at 7-13 17:32
Lucky? I don't see how since I have done that maybe 20 or more times so far. Maybe I should play the lottery ;-)

Lucky because I did it with the M2P and the thing nearly hit the ground (and probably my legs) as it doesn't have that feature,  luckily I was quick enough on the stick to get the props up to speed.
7-13 23:09
Use props
GaryDoug
Captain
United States

DAFlys Posted at 7-13 23:09
Lucky because I did it with the M2P and the thing nearly hit the ground (and probably my legs) as it doesn't have that feature,  luckily I was quick enough on the stick to get the props up to speed.

I see. Thanks for the clarification.

Also as I recall, the Mini pulled itself up and out of my hand on the first one. Perhaps I had made a slight movement to trigger that response.

7-14 08:13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
United Kingdom

GaryDoug Posted at 7-14 08:13
I see. Thanks for the clarification.

Also as I recall, the Mini pulled itself up and out of my hand on the first one. Perhaps I had made a slight movement to trigger that response.

Possibly,  it only takes a very tiny amount of upward action to trigger it.
7-14 23:26
Use props
Tobias10
lvl.2

Vietnam

DJI Air 2S is here and, with its new 1” sensor, is the perfect combination of power, portability, and intelligent flight features. One of those being MasterShots. We all want to create great, cinematic videos but not all of us are incredible pilots. That’s where MasterShots on the DJI Air...
https://www.couponupto.com/coupons/manypixels
7-22 22:47
Use props
DroneJunkieQc
Captain
Flight distance : 764856 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I used to grab land but now I just land in my palm by pushing down on left stick. Good instructional video.
7-23 04:27
Use props
K6CCC
First Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

Cute video.  If I'm flying my Mini from my driveway at home, I usually take off and land on the driveway, but out in the field usually hand launch and land.  I want positive control of the drone, so don't use the open palm methods for either takeoff or landing.
7-23 16:03
Use props
The Saint
Captain
Flight distance : 2584869 ft
  • >>>
United States

not that anyone here cares but skydio provides direction on the proper technique to hand launch and land the skydio 2:  

notably when initiating motion tracking, you can actually hand-launch the drone and it knows this and will turn around and recognize you and being tracking (1 minute mark):  
otherwise i just do feel comfortable doing it unless absolutely necessary....too dangerous.
7-23 20:36
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 7-23 20:36
not that anyone here cares but skydio provides direction on the proper technique to hand launch and land the skydio 2:  https://youtu.be/vbC2eC7PUMw

notably when initiating motion tracking, you can actually hand-launch the drone and it knows this and will turn around and recognize you and being tracking (1 minute mark):  https://youtu.be/myAUgC5b2-k?t=59

One day they might launch a product that they sell outside the USA.
7-24 00:20
Use props
The Saint
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 7-24 00:20
One day they might launch a product that they sell outside the USA.

https://dronedj.com/2021/07/22/s ... tralia-new-zealand/
7-24 08:05
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 7-24 08:05
https://dronedj.com/2021/07/22/skydio-expands-begins-shipping-to-australia-new-zealand/

Lol.  Enterprise only customers though.
7-24 08:41
Use props
The Saint
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 7-24 08:41
Lol.  Enterprise only customers though.

yes but they are getting there; making progress.  you can still get a skydio anywhere you live in the world, lots of people have them outside the usa.  skydio is not a huge consumer drone maker unlike dji or even autel and it's likely that situation won't get any better anytime soon; probably less as they focus on the government/military, etc.  still, the s2 is a great drone and they have tried to enhance hand-launching unlike dji where it can be accomplished but every launch/land is totally risky and is simply unnecessary if only trying to be cool.  just today, i thought i might practice a mini2 hand-landing while i was standing on the sidewalk and immediately changed my mind and decided i simply didn't have time for an unforced error and i landed the drone on the hard pavement.
7-24 12:28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 7-24 12:28
yes but they are getting there; making progress.  you can still get a skydio anywhere you live in the world, lots of people have them outside the usa.  skydio is not a huge consumer drone maker unlike dji or even autel and it's likely that situation won't get any better anytime soon; probably less as they focus on the government/military, etc.  still, the s2 is a great drone and they have tried to enhance hand-launching unlike dji where it can be accomplished but every launch/land is totally risky and is simply unnecessary if only trying to be cool.  just today, i thought i might practice a mini2 hand-landing while i was standing on the sidewalk and immediately changed my mind and decided i simply didn't have time for an unforced error and i landed the drone on the hard pavement.

I tried to order a skydio and was told they didn’t ship outside the USA /Canada.  That makes buying one a real no no for me.  I’d have to get someone else to get it and ship it on and then I have no real warranty as I’d have to keep going through a third party.

As for the mini hand launch and land DJI have done a lot to make it easy on this drone. The nudge take off is awesome and when landing you just make your hand u shaped bring it down and take hold and tilt it forward to shut off the props.    It’s a real joy to use.   Especially compared to doing the same with the m2p.
7-24 21:27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Netherlands

Was this the 'throw' method we talked about?
8-9 07:48
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 8-9 07:48
Was this the 'throw' method we talked about?

Yes,  but you dont need to throw,   just a gentle little push up.
8-9 07:50
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 8-9 07:50
Yes,  but you dont need to throw,   just a gentle little push up.

Still I think the double stick action is awkward. I was hoping for something more convenient.
8-9 07:54
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 8-9 07:54
Still I think the double stick action is awkward. I was hoping for something more convenient.

You can just press the auto take off button though.
8-9 07:58
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 8-9 07:58
You can just press the auto take off button though.

I have missed that one on the M2 screen. Probably just because I never looked for it when it was on
8-9 08:00
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 8-9 08:00
I have missed that one on the M2 screen. Probably just because I never looked for it when it was on

Left hand side of the screen is an up arrow,   then you just press and hold on take off.
8-9 08:02
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 8-9 08:02
Left hand side of the screen is an up arrow,   then you just press and hold on take off.

I will check it out.
I did perform a lot of hand landings on the holiday after sand got stuck in the gimbal and it did not want to move around.
8-9 08:03
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 8-9 08:00
I have missed that one on the M2 screen. Probably just because I never looked for it when it was on

Like this..

8-9 08:03
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Netherlands

Ah thanks.
I should have paid attention more in M2 class
8-9 08:04
Use props
123Next >