Inspire 1 Slow Motion Video is Jumpy???
3451 14 2015-7-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dan
New
Flight distance : 13763 ft
United States

Hope someone can help me out here.  I'm pretty versed in digital media, editing, photography, etc.  I just received an Inspire One and shot some test footage at 1080p 60fps and planned halving the speed to test the footage as slow motion.  However, when I slow down the footage it doesn't appear smooth...it looks like a 30fps clip being played back at half speed.  Can someone shed some light on what I might be doing wrong?  I've done this countless times with a GoPro shooting at 60fps and things look great.  I'm just having some issues here with the Inspire One Camera's footage.

I've created a test clip for anyone to look at with video taken on the Inspire in 1080p @ 60fps.  Then, using Premiere CC, I slowed the speed of the clip to 50% (which usually works fine with GoPro Footage) and you can see the jumpiness.  I also took the clip and tried the standard "Interpret Footage" function and interpreted the frame rate @ 29.97fps to half the speed.  Then I brought that into this little 'test sequence' which you'll see at the end.   

https://www.youtube.com/embed/gdDQQuYCcBE

Any ideas/help from someone who may have dealt with this issue previously would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much,
Dan

2015-7-23
Use props
dan
New
United States

Anyone have any ideas?  Or is this a limitation of the Inspire One's camera??  
2015-7-24
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

Do you know what your shutter speed was?   This can have an effect on how distinct each individual frame is.
2015-7-24
Use props
dundee
First Officer
Flight distance : 33550 ft

Thailand

Hi Dan, welcome to the forum.
I am sure that Jim is the guy you want to talk to.
2015-7-24
Use props
drewid20
lvl.2

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-7-24 21:35
Do you know what your shutter speed was?   This can have an effect on how distinct each individual f ...

1/120th would have been ideal.  
2015-7-24
Use props
Matias Dapena
lvl.1

Argentina

Hi! I'm using Premier CC too, and had the same issue. If you are shooting at 60fps, check when you start editing your video that you are not slowing the speed %50 of it, you should convert your clips to 30fps and then import them in a 30fps sequence. This can be done by right clicking on your clip in the media explorer or in your timeline, go to "modify", and then to "Interpret Footage". Once the footage setting window opens, under Frame Rate, click on "Assume this framerate" and set it to 30fps or 24fps. When I use this setup, I always check the "blend fotograms" when rendering. I hope to be helpfull!
2015-7-24
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

Matias Dapena Posted at 2015-7-25 00:08
Hi! I'm using Premier CC too, and had the same issue. If you are shooting at 60fps, check when you s ...

Good advice Matias.  He suggested he was already doing that but probably worth double checking just in case.
2015-7-24
Use props
dan
New
United States

Hey Guys - thanks for all of the input.  So Jim/Matias, you're correct, I did already do as suggested.  In my clip posted you'll see the sequence is 30fps, the first version of the shot is 60fps dropped into the 30fps sequence, the second version was just 50% halved speed and the third version was the 60fps clip interpreted to 30fps and dropped into the 30fps sequence.  You can see it wasn't much difference.  I didn't check off "Blend fotograms" so I'm going to try that out now and I'll post another reply.  

Drew, That's a good point too - I did make sure I was at 60fps figuring even if it did make a difference, it would be twice what I wanted for my final video...but that's something to try and I'll take any suggestions at this point to get this working like it should.  I'll try that too and post back as well on this.

Thanks everyone again, brb.
2015-7-25
Use props
dan
New
United States

Ok, we've got an answer!

Jim, you were right on with the shutter speed suggestion.  Drew (sorry if your name's not 'Drew' but I just extrapolated from your display name), you were right too...had to be 120.

So the advanced settings window (little icon that looks like 3 slider bars) is where I changed to 60, 120 and 320 shutter speed and tested out some video.  Strange because I would assume this was just settings for photos but you're right, made a huge difference.

So here's some test video I just shot with some different shutter speeds.  all of these clips were on the 1080p 60fps video setting.  The different clips are showing SHUTTER speeds of 60, 120 and 320.  I had the ND filter on for two of them and took it off for the 320 to let some more light in.  The ISO was horribly high and the point of this wasn't to get good exposure so just realize it's just to show the effects of the different shutter speed if you guys or anyone in the future with this problem wants to see.  

Thank you guys so much again for your help...very happy now to have this working!

Dan
https://youtu.be/U7lboB7jKaY
2015-7-25
Use props
drewid20
lvl.2

United States

dan@gmtechnolog Posted at 2015-7-26 01:25
Ok, we've got an answer!

Jim, you were right on with the shutter speed suggestion.  Drew (sorry if  ...

My name is Drew and glad I could help.  
2015-7-27
Use props
dennis
lvl.3
United States

I have the same problem with 4k@30 fps rendered to 1920x1080 30p.  I really had to play with the speed reductions to get it this smooth.  I use power director 13.

2015-7-28
Use props
drewid20
lvl.2

United States

dennis@aerialpe Posted at 2015-7-29 00:02
I have the same problem with 4k@30 fps rendered to 1920x1080 30p.  I really had to play with the spe ...

Well there is one, likely two issues.  #1 You shot at 30fps instead of 60fps which isn't going to give you great  results.  #2 I'd guess that your shutter speed wasn't 1/120th.

2015-7-28
Use props
dennis
lvl.3
United States

drewid20 Posted at 2015-7-29 02:28
Well there is one, likely two issues.  #1 You shot at 30fps instead of 60fps which isn't going to  ...

Correct 4k 30 fps.  I was at 180 on the shutter I believe.
2015-7-28
Use props
dan
New
United States

Yea, Drew is right on with this one.  The human eye sees smooth video @ 30fps (24fps is acceptable too for cinema).  If you have 30fps and reduce to 15fps you're going to see that jumpiness for sure.  There's no way around that without shooting 60fps and reducing to 30... of course that doesn't help you if your video is spec'ed to 4k because that's a fps limitation of the Inspire 1 camera @ 4k.  You did a good job, though.  It works for your video and you only used short clips where you slowed down the footage.  For my purpose I need extended slow motion footage and the jumpiness just get's disorientating.
2015-7-28
Use props
Matias Dapena
lvl.1

Argentina

I thought that the shutter speed doesn't matter when it comes to shooting video but I see that this is ... What would be the appropriate parameters for each resolution? It would be great for us to create a table with the best parameters to guide us when working, without wasting time trying the best option every time we shot. Nice shutter speed test Dan!
2015-9-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules