Mini 2, JPG and RAW files are different (distortion)
7051 23 2021-7-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

JPG adds or removes distortion?  Colors look great.
RAW adds or removes distortion? Colors look worse, just leave it JPG unless you are styling of course.

The contrasty one is JPG.  Uneditted all of them.  Watch in 5k.

2021-7-12
Use props
wateroftyne
lvl.4
Flight distance : 764797 ft
United Kingdom

I don't know why anyone would shoot raw if you had no intention of post-processing. Of course Jpeg will look better.
2021-7-12
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

wateroftyne Posted at 7-12 10:56
I don't know why anyone would shoot raw if you had no intention of post-processing. Of course Jpeg will look better.

JPG is adding or removing distortion which makes it look "better".  There's no lens correction profile so that cannot be added or removed anywhere.  It looks like it's fixing the distortion when looking at the edges but some of the image go missing.
2021-7-12
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 49635259 ft
Spain

DNG files have embedded distortion correction while out of the camera JPG files in the Mini 2 come without correction (have a bit of barrel distortion).

JPG have embedded color profile and 8 bit depth, while DNG have 16 bit depth and have no embeded color profile, so you can use your own DNG color profiles to edit the images, wich will allways give a unique and distinct look to them.

For example for both the Mini 2 and the Air2S I use my own custom DNG profile made with an X-Rite colorchecker.

Shoot in DNG, even automatic mode in Lightroom will look better, out of the camera JPGs are just a waste of HDD space (since you can't shoot only RAW I allways delate them afterwards).

Editing RAW files whas a pain in the ass with Photoshop... but Lightroom Classic solved that years ago.
2021-7-12
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Huginn Kenningar Posted at 7-12 12:17
DNG files have embedded distortion correction while out of the camera JPG files in the Mini 2 come without correction (hace a bit of barrel distortion).

JPG have embedded color profile and 8 bit depth, while DNG have 16 bit depth and have no embeded color profile, so you can use your own DNG color profiles to edit the images, wich will allways give a unique and distinct look to them.

Mini 2 doesn't come with JPG distortion correction because the PCB hardware required would make it go over 249g?
2021-7-12
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 49635259 ft
Spain

AntDX316 Posted at 7-12 12:28
Mini 2 doesn't come with JPG distortion correction because the PCB hardware required would make it go over 249g?

Or maybe it's a bug in the code and they forgot to implement that, shouldn't cost that much to get rid of the distortion on the JPGs, I think it has enough horsepower to do that, as it can manage 4K/30FPS video without problems.

2021-7-12
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Huginn Kenningar Posted at 7-12 12:33
Or maybe it's a bug in the code and they forgot to implement that, shouldn't cost that much to get rid of the distortion on the JPGs, I think it has enough horsepower to do that, as it can manage 4K/30FPS video without problems.

Nearly all the time I find something no one else found because people don't bother running the most basic of tests in every area of life.
2021-7-12
Use props
wateroftyne
lvl.4
Flight distance : 764797 ft
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 7-12 10:57
JPG is adding or removing distortion which makes it look "better".  There's no lens correction profile so that cannot be added or removed anywhere.  It looks like it's fixing the distortion when looking at the edges but some of the image go missing.

I know :-)
2021-7-12
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there AntDX316. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing these information with us. I will forward this thread to the designated DJI department for further attention. Thank you.
2021-7-13
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 7-13 21:09
Hello there AntDX316. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing these information with us. I will forward this thread to the designated DJI department for further attention. Thank you.

Can you check to see if Distortion Correction is enabled on Video as well?
2021-7-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

DNG has a lot of distortion.
DJI adds a lens profile in the file, so some software will auto correct it.
2021-8-9
Use props
JCDM
lvl.3
Flight distance : 102156 ft
Bolivia

Montfrooij Posted at 8-9 07:45
DNG has a lot of distortion.
DJI adds a lens profile in the file, so some software will auto correct it.

Cant see any lens distortion...
DJI_0022_01.jpg
2021-8-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

JCDM Posted at 8-9 08:16

There is a lot of it before processing the DNG.
2021-8-9
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Just need to take a photo with DNG and JPG of a grid that has straight lines looking directly at it to settle this.  Some photo compositions look better with and some look better without distortion it's just you can't turn it on and off because there is no profile though you can add it yourself manually in post.
2021-8-10
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

To be fair, that image is really poop quality, those trees are laughable
2021-8-11
Use props
JCDM
lvl.3
Flight distance : 102156 ft
Bolivia

Bashy Posted at 8-11 07:17
To be fair, that image is really poop quality, those trees are laughable

Thank you very much, you know a lot about photography....
2021-8-11
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JCDM Posted at 8-11 11:04
Thank you very much, you know a lot about photography....

faff all to be honest, but i do know what a tree should look like when i see one lol

Houses not too bad but then ya look at the tres in the top half and it looks like someone's finger smudges
Screenshot 2021-08-11 234156.png
2021-8-11
Use props
gothi
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31263 ft
United Kingdom

Spent some time looking at this yesterday.

JPG: Has some lens correction already applied, doesn't look like it's a perfect correction though as when comparing files the JPG always seems to have a small amount of distortion remaining (which I wouldn't have noticed had I not been flicking back and forth between them)
DNG: without any lens correction this is significantly distorted however the files do contain the information required to fix this.  Running it through Lightroom and Affinity Photo (using the Apple RAW engine option, which is not default on the Mac version and isn't available on Windows so watch out for this) the distortion is automatically fixed and to my eye both apps do a much better job than the JPG from the drone.

Note: darktable uses Lensfun (also used by Affinity Photo on Windows and Mac) and there is not currently a profile for the Mini 2 so any DNG images edited using this app will have significant lens distortion in them.

I'll be sticking with the DNGs from now on myself and using Affinity Photo to process them.  If I was on Windows I'd either fork out for Lightroom or go through the process of having a Lensfun profile created and import that into darktable and/or Affinity Photo.
2021-8-14
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

gothi Posted at 8-14 12:14
Spent some time looking at this yesterday.

JPG: Has some lens correction already applied, doesn't look like it's a perfect correction though as when comparing files the JPG always seems to have a small amount of distortion remaining (which I wouldn't have noticed had I not been flicking back and forth between them)

Lightroom doesn't have a profile for the Mini 2, but it doesn't matter to me because I only use the M2P to take DNGs.  The image quality off the Mini 2 isn't that great but indeed it's better than nothing therefore it's good if something important was captured, like a real-time view of what the area looks like before going there or to aerial scout ahead for another important reason.
2021-8-15
Use props
gothi
lvl.3
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 8-15 01:06
Lightroom doesn't have a profile for the Mini 2, but it doesn't matter to me because I only use the M2P to take DNGs.  The image quality off the Mini 2 isn't that great but indeed it's better than nothing therefore it's good if something important was captured, like a real-time view of what the area looks like before going there or to aerial scout ahead for another important reason.

Lightroom and Affinity (using the Apple RAW engine only) use the lens profile included in the DNG itself so don't need a specific Mini 2 profile.  

For those interested, you can check this in Lightrooms Optics section which states "Built-in Lens profile Applied", clicking this brings up the description that explains the DNG file has a lens profile included for fixing distortion,  chromatic aberration and vignetting.
2021-8-15
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

gothi Posted at 8-15 01:15
Lightroom and Affinity (using the Apple RAW engine only) use the lens profile included in the DNG itself so don't need a specific Mini 2 profile.  

For those interested, you can check this in Lightrooms Optics section which states "Built-in Lens profile Applied", clicking this brings up the description that explains the DNG file has a lens profile included for fixing distortion,  chromatic aberration and vignetting.

I did that but didn't do that recently.  Perhaps they updated.  It's not like I have all the equipment laid out ready to go just by picking them up.  Perhaps I should be less lazy but I never use it for that purpose.  With the M2P, I just usually hit shift+A on all the DNGs and slightly tweak if necessary then send it to the client.
2021-8-15
Use props
gothi
lvl.3
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 8-15 02:04
I did that but didn't do that recently.  Perhaps they updated.  It's not like I have all the equipment laid out ready to go just by picking them up.  Perhaps I should be less lazy but I never use it for that purpose.  With the M2P, I just usually hit shift+A on all the DNGs and slightly tweak if necessary then send it to the client.

Not clear, I'm a relatively new Mini2 owner so don't know any different.  

I do want thank you for raising this though, it wasn't until I saw your comparison that I created some test images myself and found that the default settings of Affinity and darktable for Mini 2 DNGs are terrible due to no Mini 2 lens profile in Lensfun. They are very distorted with clear vignetting. And whilst the drone generated JPGs are servicable they still have distortion on them and it takes only a second or so with a correctly fixed DNG to produce something that looks better.
I was almost resigned to forking out for Lightroom until I found out about changing to the Apple RAW engine in Affinity and the difference is night and day. Shame about darktable and Windows versions of Affinity though.

2021-8-15
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

gothi Posted at 8-15 04:19
Not clear, I'm a relatively new Mini2 owner so don't know any different.  

I do want thank you for raising this though, it wasn't until I saw your comparison that I created some test images myself and found that the default settings of Affinity and darktable for Mini 2 DNGs are terrible due to no Mini 2 lens profile in Lensfun. They are very distorted with clear vignetting. And whilst the drone generated JPGs are servicable they still have distortion on them and it takes only a second or so with a correctly fixed DNG to produce something that looks better.

Some images can look Better with distortion.  Some look better without.  I prefer to run no lens profile by default, unless the distortion is so bad it Must have distortion correction already applied on my equipment if I could, unless it's for inspection purposes.
2021-8-15
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 7-13 21:09

Did it get fixed?
2021-8-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules