Air 2: Active track. I look for info
1600 15 2021-7-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Fogar
lvl.2

Italy

Hi, I have Mavic Air 2 form a little time and I'd like  to use Active track to follow my off-road vehicle on deserted roads in  the countryside.
I'd like the drone shoots in front of the car.
I make an example.
I  put my drone in front of the off-road vehicle about 20 meters away,  then I raise it about 10 meters. When I proceed with the car, the camera  shotos the front of the off-road vehicle for some seconds but  immediately after some seconds, the drone turns and the camera only and  always shoots the rear of the car.
I have tried to use joysticks of the remote control but without success.
Where am I wrong?
What can I do to shoot the front of the off-road vehicle moving forward?
Thanks for some info.

2021-7-13
Use props
Area 8
lvl.3
Flight distance : 173681 ft
United States

This is a great question. I hope there is a way to do what Fogar is asking.
2021-7-13
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Fogar. Good day and thank you for reaching out. There are two modes of Activetrack 3.0. Move the roll stick to circle the subject, move the pitch stick to alter the distance from the subject, move the throttle stick to change the altitude, and move the pan stick to adjust the frame.

2021-7-13
Use props
Fogar
lvl.2

Italy

Hi DJI Stephen,
I thank yo so much for your reply, but I don't understand well. Maybe my english is not good. I'm sorry!

1) "Move the roll stick to circle the subject".
I already made it but it doesn't work. When I move the roll stick, the drone circles the off-road vehicle, then the drone automatically returns to the rear of the off-road vehicle.

2) "move the pitch stick to alter the distance from the subject"
I don't understand what I have to do precisely. Anyway I tied to move the drone away from the car by many meters, but I always have the same problem.

3) "move the throttle stick to change the altitude, and move the pan stick to adjust the frame."
I tried to  to take the drone higher from the car, but I got the same problem.

Maybe I don't understand what you mean with: pitch stick, throttle stick and pan stick.
Do I have to go into the settings page? If I don't have to go into the settings to change some parameters, I have already tried to move the joy stick in a thousand ways but without success.
I thank you again.
2021-7-13
Use props
dreamergr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1047251 ft
Greece

Hi, I got the same "problem" last summer I tried to fly in from of our small speedboat. You need a driver for the drone and one for the boat to stay in front. Cause the drone dont know where you will go. So I think the best thing to do is to get it to go circle around you. So it will get some in front shots.
But what i did is I locked the boat and drove the drone manually
2021-7-13
Use props
Fogar
lvl.2

Italy

I have a driver and I don't drive an off-road vehicle, but despite this,  I don't have the right time to be able to manage the drone manually.
However this "Active Track" is very limited. What a pity!
Thanks for your info.

PS: Why did DJI Stephen answer in that way if it is impossible to do it?
2021-7-14
Use props
Area 8
lvl.3
Flight distance : 173681 ft
United States

Fogar Posted at 7-14 01:09
I have a driver and I don't drive an off-road vehicle, but despite this,  I don't have the right time to be able to manage the drone manually.
Thanks for your info.

He's a drone
2021-7-14
Use props
Alvara74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 30364 ft
United Kingdom

There's not an option for the drone to track you while filming from the front since it doesn't know where you will be moving
2021-7-14
Use props
Alvara74
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Fogar Posted at 7-14 01:09
Thanks for your info.

Yeah, drones haven't yet reached true A.I so its not that good
2021-7-14
Use props
InsaneDiego
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1376841 ft
United States

Alvara74 Posted at 7-14 03:37
There's not an option for the drone to track you while filming from the front since it doesn't know where you will be moving

This is the second reply that says that.  That isn't a reasonable answer. I don't mean for you to take that personally.

First, if you are going in a straight line, it knows exactly where you are going. You haven't done anything but a forward movement. Unfortunately, the Air 2 can't even handle this straight-forward (pun intended) scenario. It will hang with you for a very short period and then tuck in behind you.

Second, if you do happen to make just a slight turn, the drone knows it was in front of you, now it knows it's to the side, it's tracking you, it should course correct.

The Skydio 2 can do all of this and it's frustrating to see my Air 2 can't even stay in front of me when I'm doing nothing but going straight.

To answer the OP, don't expect the tracking to do anything but stay behind you. Even in parallel mode it fights to tuck in behind you. As you said, very disappointing. Better than nothing, but not as good as it could be.
2021-7-14
Use props
Alvara74
lvl.4
United Kingdom

InsaneDiego Posted at 7-14 20:01
This is the second reply that says that.  That isn't a reasonable answer. I don't mean for you to take that personally.

First, if you are going in a straight line, it knows exactly where you are going. You haven't done anything but a forward movement. Unfortunately, the Air 2 can't even handle this straight-forward (pun intended) scenario. It will hang with you for a very short period and then tuck in behind you.

My apologies, I didn't read the first reply that said this. I think its pretty clear that the Skydio 2 is far superior in terms of tracking whereas DJI is superior is terms of line-up and compatibility for everyone
2021-7-15
Use props
InsaneDiego
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1376841 ft
United States

Alvara74 Posted at 7-15 04:59
My apologies, I didn't read the first reply that said this. I think its pretty clear that the Skydio 2 is far superior in terms of tracking whereas DJI is superior is terms of line-up and compatibility for everyone

I would wholeheartedly agree with that statement.
2021-7-15
Use props
dreamergr
lvl.4
Greece

Alvara74 Posted at 7-14 03:38
Yeah, drones haven't yet reached true A.I so its not that good

Well you can find a drone with blue and black colors . Like the SKY -dio my friend that it can track you from in front of you but sure. DJI AI is a bit dump
2021-7-15
Use props
Alvara74
lvl.4
United Kingdom

dreamergr Posted at 7-15 21:57
Well you can find a drone with blue and black colors . Like the SKY -dio my friend that it can track you from in front of you but sure. DJI AI is a bit dump

That, I can agree with
2021-7-16
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

The MA2 has no side sensors for avoiding obstacles and the rear sensor has a limited field of view. I think it is programmed to not allow automatic tracking from the side or maybe even the front (in reverse) for more than a few seconds. That is what mine does. The M2p has sensors all around and will easily do what you need. With the MA2, you can use the controller to manually keep the MA2 at the side but that requires manual intervention. I was also disappointed with this limitation.
2021-7-16
Use props
dreamergr
lvl.4
Greece

GaryDoug Posted at 7-16 14:47
The MA2 has no side sensors for avoiding obstacles and the rear sensor has a limited field of view. I think it is programmed to not allow automatic tracking from the side or maybe even the front (in reverse) for more than a few seconds. That is what mine does. The M2p has sensors all around and will easily do what you need. With the MA2, you can use the controller to manually keep the MA2 at the side but that requires manual intervention. I was also disappointed with this limitation.

I had this exact conversation with a friend at the beach yesterday. Why remove some things from the drone only to put them back in in the higher price drones?
I mean my friend had M2P and now he got the Mini 2 . Such a huge difference. With the tracking and what not. Or even how steady the drone is. The parameters on M2P is so much tighter than Mini 2.
Only cause DJI don't want every drone to "follow" you and the reason? No sensors? Really? Im in the middle of the sea... THERE ARE NO OBSTACLES.
But M3 will go as low as 2000 Euros. I mean lets buy that to get a reverse tracking.
2021-7-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules