Is dji osmo action the wrong choice for underwater use?
4894 13 2021-7-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_GCKM7RCMXCgs
lvl.1

Turkey

I'm considering buying this camera for underwater shooting. I will use it at a depth of about 4-5 meters. Are there any water permeability problems at this depth? because I don't want to use it with underwater  housing, makes the device too big.

Or do you recommend to buy gopro hero 9?
2021-7-13
Use props
AlanHd
First Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

If you doa search there are some threads about the cameras leaking without the housing, heres one https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D557%26typeid%3D557
2021-7-13
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

GoPro Hero 9 for the win.  It's waterproof to 10 meters.  
2021-7-13
Use props
djiuser_GCKM7RCMXCgs
lvl.1

Turkey

DowntownRDB Posted at 7-13 04:37
GoPro Hero 9 for the win.  It's waterproof to 10 meters.

They said that the dji is also 11m water resistant in their website.
2021-7-13
Use props
djiuser_GCKM7RCMXCgs
lvl.1

Turkey

AlanHd Posted at 7-13 03:51
If you doa search there are some threads about the cameras leaking without the housing, heres one https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=201276&extra=page%3D1%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D557%26typeid%3D557

I read this page before, but I thought maybe most users don't have such a problem.
2021-7-13
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Philippines

djiuser_GCKM7RCMXCgs Posted at 7-13 04:44
They said that the dji is also 11m water resistant in their website.

But it is not...
2021-7-13
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Philippines

djiuser_GCKM7RCMXCgs Posted at 7-13 07:05
I read this page before, but I thought maybe most users don't have such a problem.

The local DJI service here does not recommend underwater use without the case, regardless of the depth. They were flooded (no pun intended) with water damaged OAs. It might work for some people but are you willing to take the risk?

PS: Mine was waterproof for the first 6 months or so. Then it wasn't....The maximum depth it has ever been to is less than a meter.

2021-7-13
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Osmo Action is waterproof to a depth of 11 meters. If you do free diving or scuba diving, we strongly recommend the Official Waterproof Case and anti-fog inserts to shoot at depths up to 60 meters. Before using, check that the front, back, and interior of the camera cover of the waterproof case are clean, and the sealing ring is free of debris. Hope this helps. Thank you!

2021-7-15
Use props
djiuser_ojqqt2B80cxE
New
Dominican Republic

Mine just died. I took it with me scuba diving in a waterproof case and it did just fine, but in it's included housing, with it's factory battery, it died in 3 ft of water in a pool today! Now what? Return it or is that covered under the warranty? And before you ask, yes, I remember making sure both of the locks click and lock when I put in the battery.
2021-7-20
Use props
djiuser_ojqqt2B80cxE
New
Dominican Republic

Nevermind my little Osmo Action fired right up this morning! However, from now on no matter how shallow it's going in a waterproof case. I DON'T trust the locks!
2021-7-21
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

djiuser_ojqqt2B80cxE Posted at 7-21 03:21
Nevermind my little Osmo Action fired right up this morning! However, from now on no matter how shallow it's going in a waterproof case. I DON'T trust the locks!

What do you think the problem was,
2021-7-21
Use props
djiuser_ojqqt2B80cxE
New
Dominican Republic

Spoke to soon. It booted up, asked me to reset the date, I did, and 10 minutes later I had to reset the date again. I know water got in it but the original problem was a lock failed while underwater. Not happy!
2021-7-21
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

djiuser_ojqqt2B80cxE Posted at 7-21 03:42
Spoke to soon. It booted up, asked me to reset the date, I did, and 10 minutes later I had to reset the date again. I know water got in it but the original problem was a lock failed while underwater. Not happy!

thank you for clearing that up.
2021-7-21
Use props
djiuser_ojqqt2B80cxE
New
Dominican Republic

Right now it's working and holding the time/date. I'll decide if it's going back when I get home from the Dominican (vacation). As for the lock failure, I'm not sure if the lock completely failed or partially disengaged when I inserted it in the included housing. The lock looks like it could be disengaged while inserting into the housing (design flaw definitely).
2021-7-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules