Video - Fixed Shutter Speed with Automatic ISO?
1349 10 2021-7-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TURB0LASER
lvl.1
Flight distance : 264068 ft
United States

I'd like to set a fixed shutter speed for my video & then let the drone automatically adjust ISO to compensate for changing brightness conditions. Right now I can't achieve this because in "Pro" video mode I have to manually adjust every single setting. The reason I want this is that I'm trying to achieve cinema level framerate & motion blur (the usual 24fps with 1/48 second shutter speed). With an ND filter I can usually get the lighting to an acceptable range for the frame rate & shutter speed combination, but as I fly around the environmental lighting changes significantly & the video can become too light or dark very quickly. It would be awesome if the ISO could automatically compensate for the changing light conditions (because I can't be changing ISO on the screen while also flying the drone...I only have two hands to work with). Looking forward to an update that allows this!
2021-7-13
Use props
smbishop
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2454508 ft
  • >>>
United States

I like this suggestion!
2021-7-13
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there TURB0LASER. Good day and thank you for sharing these information with us.  I will forward these information and this thread to the designated DJI department for further attention. All significant suggestions or requests for the DJI Mini 2 will be implemented after the evaluation of the DJI Engineers. For the latest DJI updates please stay tuned to our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Thank you for your valued support and fly safe always.
2021-7-13
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

Since the Mini 2 has no variable aperture that option seems to be the best to do.

But also keep in mind that a higher ISO will produce more noise and so a more grainy picture.
2021-7-13
Use props
FriedChicken_II
lvl.4
Flight distance : 721555 ft

Hong Kong

Isn't this already a feature? My drone answers to environmental lighting changes during recording, with fixed aperture, fixed shutter speed and automatic iso. Even though I'm flying with another model, I'm assuming that your Mini 2 should have it too?
2021-7-13
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

+1, good suggestion.
2021-7-14
Use props
Tuxtard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9975610 ft
Serbia

FriedChicken_II Posted at 7-13 21:27
Isn't this already a feature? My drone answers to environmental lighting changes during recording, with fixed aperture, fixed shutter speed and automatic iso. Even though I'm flying with another model, I'm assuming that your Mini 2 should have it too?

I think it is only available on Air 2S.
2021-7-14
Use props
wateroftyne
lvl.4
Flight distance : 764797 ft
United Kingdom

I can't help thinking if you're trying to achieve cinema level framerate & motion blur, the ISO jumps might feel a little jarring and spoil the effect.
2021-7-14
Use props
TURB0LASER
lvl.1
Flight distance : 264068 ft
United States

wateroftyne Posted at 7-14 11:17
I can't help thinking if you're trying to achieve cinema level framerate & motion blur, the ISO jumps might feel a little jarring and spoil the effect.

Ah ok - I didn't know if ISO changed continuously (i.e. smoothly) in full auto mode, or if it had to make the jumps to the different levels I can pick from in manual mode. That makes sense not to have it automatically adjust if it can only change in huge jumps, and I wouldn't want that flicker in my footage either.
2021-7-14
Use props
FriedChicken_II
lvl.4

China

Tuxtard Posted at 7-14 08:59
I think it is only available on Air 2S.

Gosh that's bad. DJI gotta add this on ALL DRONES!
2021-7-14
Use props
FriedChicken_II
lvl.4

China

TURB0LASER Posted at 7-14 11:24
Ah ok - I didn't know if ISO changed continuously (i.e. smoothly) in full auto mode, or if it had to make the jumps to the different levels I can pick from in manual mode. That makes sense not to have it automatically adjust if it can only change in huge jumps, and I wouldn't want that flicker in my footage either.

On my drone it changes continuously (like from 310 to 320), I'm on an Air 2S, not sure about other drones.
2021-7-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules