Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
New camera overheating after a few minutes
2854 13 2021-7-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KimCraft
lvl.1
Denmark

Hi there.

I just bought a new Osmo Action running the 01.10.00.40(7251) firmware.

Right now I'm just playing with the camera as I just recieved it and only go a really slow Transcend 4GB MicroSDHC card. Tomorrow I get my Sandisk Extreme Pro card. The camera can only record for about 25 sec because of the slow SDcard, but after recording a few minutes it is overheating. Is this because of my slow SDcard or something else ?

I only record in 1080P/30

2021-7-15
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

this is how the camera works:
records, if its going to overheat, it will continue to record, the lcd will be forced off, if you are saying the camera overheated and totally shut down, then you have a different issue, the sd card  best be a 4K class card
2021-7-15
Use props
KimCraft
lvl.1
Denmark

Fishycomics Posted at 7-15 12:29
this is how the camera works:
records, if its going to overheat, it will continue to record, the lcd will be forced off, if you are saying the camera overheated and totally shut down, then you have a different issue, the sd card  best be a 4K class card

I was told from others that it was probably my old slow SD card that was causing the overheating. When I get my Extreme Pro card tomorrow I hope it will be gone
2021-7-15
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

You may turn on the camera, you may  turn on your smartphone and Mimo app and hit record and within 10 minutes the camera will be  showing overheated, and the rest is history.
2021-7-15
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Could you please try to use a different SD card and please refer to the recommended SD card on the image below to see if the issue persists? Also, the DJI Osmo Action can shoot up to 4K, 60fps video at 100 Mbps. The amount of video file data generated in one minute can reach 700 MB. It is inevitable that the camera emits heat when dealing with such a large amount of data in a short time. So it is normal that the device emits heat. However, the DJI Osmo Action pays special attention to this problem. The internal heat dissipation area, such as the heat sink and the lens cover removes heat from the device to ensure the normal operation of the camera, and it is repeatedly tested that the temperature is within a reasonable range. Hope this helps. Thank you for your support!

2021-7-15
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

temp thresh hold high and low, not mentioned.
2021-7-16
Use props
KimCraft
lvl.1
Denmark

DJI Paladin Posted at 7-15 19:42
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Could you please try to use a different SD card and please refer to the recommended SD card on the image below to see if the issue persists? Also, the DJI Osmo Action can shoot up to 4K, 60fps video at 100 Mbps. The amount of video file data generated in one minute can reach 700 MB. It is inevitable that the camera emits heat when dealing with such a large amount of data in a short time. So it is normal that the device emits heat. However, the DJI Osmo Action pays special attention to this problem. The internal heat dissipation area, such as the heat sink and the lens cover removes heat from the device to ensure the normal operation of the camera, and it is repeatedly tested that the temperature is within a reasonable range. Hope this helps. Thank you for your support!

I just got the Sandisk Extreme Pro V30 A2 UHS-I card 128GB and will do some test to see if it still is a problem.
2021-7-16
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

great to hear, enjoy the camera.
2021-7-16
Use props
KimCraft
lvl.1
Denmark

I did a lot of recording with the Sandisk Extreme Pro V30 A2 UHS-I card 128GB but only in 1080P/60 and did not get any overheating warning. I guess it was my old slow SD card that caused the overheating
2021-7-16
Use props
JodyB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

Glad you solved the issue!!!
2021-7-17
Use props
griffdude13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 53507 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't know the exact tech of it, but if its an old SD card and its bottlenecking the recording, it could cause the camera to work harder to keep up. Where were you recording? Because if your outside in broad sunny daylight and its warm, its gonna get hot no matter what.
2021-7-17
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

KimCraft Posted at 7-16 04:30
I just got the Sandisk Extreme Pro V30 A2 UHS-I card 128GB and will do some test to see if it still is a problem.

Thank you for keeping us posted. We're glad that you already manage to isolate the issue you experienced. Please don't hesitate to reach us if you have other inquiries or concerns. Cheers!
2021-7-17
Use props
Anthai
lvl.2
Flight distance : 218038 ft
Singapore

Hello,
This is extremely disappointing from DJI. I never expected this product. I have many of your products (OSMO, Osmo pocket etc - sure you can see in your DB), but this is the reason I'll probably never buy anything else from DJI.
I spend 600$ to buy Action 2 and is overheating and stops recording. Even in 1080p after 10 minutes is stopping.
I am trying to kindly request a refund from the supplier and they refuse. I am about to proceed to legal action if they keep not refunding it because honestly I feel cheated because you sold me a product with specific specs (4K/120fps) on which works sometimes for 3-4 minutes and then stops.
Here, kindly see, many others have the problem too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEHyUnFLiNM
https://techcrunch.com/2021/10/27/djis-latest-gopro-competitor-is-a-stunner-but-cant-handle-the-heat/

Really, EXTREMELY disappointed and feeling - will state it again as I'm really sad from this money loss.

I bought it from Thailand, I sent email to the shop I purchased it hoping that they will refund it and to the Country Consumer Protection Board. If required, I will proceed to legal actions in order to get my money back.

I hope someone from DJI here can help.

Thank you
2021-10-31
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

Please direct it to the Action 2 section we are about the action  here different camera
2021-10-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules