Should I buy a second remote?
1021 9 2015-7-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tpallai
lvl.4

United States

I was offered a seocond remote for the Inspire 1 for $450.  I use my I1 for personal use and I wanted to see everyones thoughts about getting the second remote. Please let me know. Thanks
2015-7-23
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

Depends on whether you have someone to use it.   I have both remotes but have only used the second one once or twice for practice.   

But if you have a great cinematographer who can't wait to make your shots incredible, it may sit around a lot.
2015-7-23
Use props
_Carlo
lvl.4

United States

Buy the second remote you won't be sorry
2015-7-23
Use props
jon
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I have two remotes, and it's definitely an advantage, but only with a camera op that you're well practiced with.

Once the you and the op have a good understanding and communication, it works great, but to be honest, when a noobie jumps on it, it's easier to do it yourself, i.e., fly the bird, orienting it to frame your shot and use the jog wheel for gimbal pitch (I have the C1 button set as many do, to toggle between pitch and yaw control of the gimbal, which when practiced actually works ok).

So my point is, if you have a second operator that you'll use regularly and build a team procedure with (like rally drivers and their Navs) I think you'd benefit hugely from it, but differing ops jumping on the second controller usually leaves me thinking 'this would be easier on my own'.
2015-7-24
Use props
f1
lvl.2

United States

I sit in and chair and set the second remote on a table next to me.  I mainly use it to re-level my camera.  Mine seems to be extra bad at losing level.

I bought my inspire with 1 camera and bought a second on eBay for 550, then I damaged my original one trying to install an aftermarket antenna system so i bought a 3rd one on the used market for 525.  So 550 is good but not a once in a lifetime deal.  You can search closed auctions on eBay to see a price history. You could wait until you need the second one and buy it later.  I doubt prices are going to go up, and they will probably fall, especially if an  inspire 2 comes out, and inspire 1 certainly implies a 2.  So I would wait.
2015-7-24
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Unless you actually have a need for it now, I'd pass on it.
I have two controllers, second one has been useless ever since a firmware update that effectively killed the video feed. (the one that cut the number of channels)

When DJI fixes the 2nd op's data link feed then I'd consider it, but it's nothing more than an expensive paperweight now.
2015-7-25
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Agree with Jim,

I have the second one that sits around a lot, but it is nice to have for awesome video shots

Rich
2015-7-25
Use props
houston
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21241217 ft
  • >>>
United States

I find the second remote for camera operation always proves itself to be useless as it seems just when I am about half way through I shot I am trying to capture, the signal drops out for a few seconds meaning I have no idea how it is looking. This renders the footage unusable and then we have to start again. This happens more often then not in my limited experience.

Houston
2015-7-27
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

houston Posted at 2015-7-28 07:54
I find the second remote for camera operation always proves itself to be useless as it seems just wh ...

Yep, pretty much the case.
So much for the major selling point of the Inspire over the P3...
When are we going to see a fix for this DJI?

Hello?
2015-7-27
Use props
houston
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21241217 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dont hold your breath.
2015-7-28
Use props
Advanced