Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Gimbal weird horizon
12Next >
4449 53 2021-7-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
arkglad
lvl.2
Flight distance : 441562 ft
France

Hello

I've found a problem on my gimbal, when I "slide" on the right or the left, the gimbal is not capable to stay straight. So idk how to fix it now. Because the gimbal is calibrated and calibrated well.
So the picture 1 : when I slide on the right
Picture 2 : when I slide on the left
Picture 3 : when I stay in position, the gimbal is straight but it need +/- 10 secs to be fully straight
My drone has never crashed and is less than 2 months old.
The weather conditions: there was a moderate wind.
Do you think this is of software origin? Or hardware?
We can see that in both directions of the slide that the gimbal tends to be always lower on the right and therefore higher on the left which is a little strange...
picture 1.jpg
picture 2.jpg
picture 3.jpg
2021-7-18
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi there, could you please move the stick gently while flying left and right to see if the issue still persists? And please also test it again in as windless an environment as possible. If the problem still exists, you can contact our support team via http://www.dji.com/support for further help.
2021-7-19
Use props
Mini2 Flyr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4347785 ft
Australia

You said you were flying in "moderate wind" condition, so I think you have your answer solve right there. As DJI Mindy point out, please try fly the aircraft again on windless day and I think you should see nice level horizon again and no further problem. With this little guy being so small and light, wind is always gonna create things such as crooked horizon. Happy flying and safe flight!
2021-7-19
Use props
arkglad
lvl.2
France

Okay ! I'll try without wind but in my country it's very to hard to have a wind arround 15 km/h (when I did my flight the wind was arround 25 km/h or 30 km/h I think ?)
2021-7-19
Use props
Gif2D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 528478 ft
Romania

At these wind speed it's hard to drone and gimbal to compensate wind gusts.
2021-7-19
Use props
videoeditman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

arkglad Posted at 7-19 04:28
Okay ! I'll try without wind but in my country it's very to hard to have a wind arround 15 km/h (when I did my flight the wind was arround 25 km/h or 30 km/h I think ?)

At those wind speeds you could lose your drone as it is not that powerful.
2021-7-19
Use props
arkglad
lvl.2
France

So I did another flight without wind this time and I can see that the gimbal is straight when I have a speed of less than 2 m/s. The horizon starts to be less straight from 3 or 4 m/s and there again it remains straighter than in strong wind conditions.
And there is also a phenomenon of inversion... That is to say that the highest side which is for example on the right, well if I increase the speed like 7 m/s or more, the highest side moves to the left. And again the horizon remains more or less straight.
So the wind affected the gimbal but it stay a little bit tilted.
Well, I still don't know what the problem is but I really hope it's not a problem of my drone... I was very careful the drone shows me no error
I already sent back a mini 1 because it had an imu problem :/ it would be very sad if I had to send back my mini 2 too...
Photo_6553650_DJI_50_jpg_5050364_0_2021719204512_photo_original.jpg
2021-7-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

arkglad Posted at 7-19 11:08
So I did another flight without wind this time and I can see that the gimbal is straight when I have a speed of less than 2 m/s. The horizon starts to be less straight from 3 or 4 m/s and there again it remains straighter than in strong wind conditions.
And there is also a phenomenon of inversion... That is to say that the highest side which is for example on the right, well if I increase the speed like 7 m/s or more, the highest side moves to the left. And again the horizon remains more or less straight.
So the wind affected the gimbal but it stay a little bit tilted.

Sounds like you are trying to push the mini too hard,   for better wind resistance and speed of gimbal you need a better drone with better wind resistance.  
2021-7-19
Use props
FriedChicken_II
lvl.4
Flight distance : 721555 ft

Hong Kong

First, always check your Attitude Indicator.   People have made tons of videos on this topic so here's one of them:

To see if your drone is fighting against wind, hover your drone and don't move the sticks, check your Attitude Indicator while it's hovering steady.

If your drone (grey lines) on the AI is tilting heavily, that means it's fighting against wind very hard:

If your AI looks like any of these images, that it's either tilting heavily or rising/diving heavily, then you're in a very windy situation. Most gimbals on DJI consumer drones can only handle the wind speed of 8m/s before it shows tilts in images. So, if the wind speed exceeds 8m/s, even though you can still fly your drone and the video looks smooth, you might see this kind of tilting in your final image.

If your drone's indicator is perfectly in center and not tilted, then it means there's no wind affecting your drone right now. If your gimbal still tilts in this situation, you need to recalibrate your gimbal on the ground and contact DJI support if recalibrating cannot solve your problem.
2021-7-19
Use props
FriedChicken_II
lvl.4

Hong Kong

The general rule is that where that grey bar is leaning towards, where the wind is coming from. The more it's off-center, the stronger the wind is.
2021-7-19
Use props
arkglad
lvl.2
France

FriedChicken_II Posted at 7-19 23:24
First, always check your Attitude Indicator.   People have made tons of videos on this topic so here's one of them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_RdscqsrpU

To see if your drone is fighting against wind, hover your drone and don't move the sticks, check your Attitude Indicator while it's hovering steady.

Yes, but my last flight was without wind.
And the horizon is tilted when I slide right or left at a speed of 3 m/s and more...
I did a calibration surface at level. So I think it's good.
But I think it's not my mini 2 the problem because I see the same issue on YouTube videos like this one :
https://youtu.be/5KrDsgpim_M
At  1'45''.
His drone have exactly the same behavior that me.
(Hover position horizon is good)
Slide to the right (in the video) horizon is tilted.
I can verify on other videos but I already know two YouTubers who have this problem maybe more... So I think I'll keep it and avoid wind days x)
Pic : From the video on this pic, the drone do a slide to the right and like me, horizon is tilted.
Screenshot_2021-07-20-09-36-48-053_com.google.android.youtube.jpg
2021-7-19
Use props
FriedChicken_II
lvl.4

Hong Kong

arkglad Posted at 7-19 23:40
Yes, but my last flight was without wind.
And the horizon is tilted when I slide right or left at a speed of 3 m/s and more...
I did a calibration surface at level. So I think it's good.

I think you should check the attitude indicator at the real time to see if this happens. And make sure that you're not in Sport or FPV mode too.
2021-7-19
Use props
FriedChicken_II
lvl.4

Hong Kong

You can upload your flight log to some place like drop box or google drive and share it with us.  That would help us find out the problem.
2021-7-19
Use props
arkglad
lvl.2
France

FriedChicken_II Posted at 7-19 23:51
You can upload your flight log to some place like drop box or google drive and share it with us.  That would help us find out the problem.

Sure, thx for the help.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C3_AOGSEmLcTNAHltYQkankUo2aoZJh5/view?usp=drivesdk

I think it's the flight log.
I can show you my Airdata flight record too :
https://app.airdata.com/share/LSMphM
2021-7-20
Use props
FriedChicken_II
lvl.4

Hong Kong

arkglad Posted at 7-20 00:21
Sure, thx for the help.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C3_AOGSEmLcTNAHltYQkankUo2aoZJh5/view?usp=drivesdk

airdata is bad for not enabling downloads... and your gdrive needs your permission to allow me to visit ;)

Please use https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer to upload the log maybe?
2021-7-20
Use props
FriedChicken_II
lvl.4

Hong Kong

arkglad Posted at 7-20 00:21
Sure, thx for the help.

Okay. So basically, what you've seen on the forecast app was NOT ACCURATE.

The ground weather report provided by DarkSky and UAVForecast said that the windspeed is just 2.5m/s.

While the actual wind speed up above the sky once you've launched your drone, is generally 6-8m/s

So you're basically tricked by the forecasts and ground wind speeds to be thinking that there's no wind, while the actual wind speed is very close to the maximum wind resistance rating of your drone.
2021-7-20
Use props
arkglad
lvl.2
France

FriedChicken_II Posted at 7-20 00:30
Okay. So basically, what you've seen on the forecast app was NOT ACCURATE.

The ground weather report provided by DarkSky and UAVForecast said that the windspeed is just 2.5m/s.

Here's the Phantom link :
https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/T6RBPZZWOIL1OPJN9E8F

So I all this is due to the wind ? I HATE where I'am !!!
Always wind :/
2021-7-20
Use props
FriedChicken_II
lvl.4

Hong Kong

Actual wind data shows that your drone is flying in the avg wind speed of 6m/s with gusts of 7.7m/s. Mavic Mini 2 was rated to be able to resist the wind under 8.5-10.5m/s, which means the closer you come to this limit, the higher the risk that your gimbal might be restricted because of drone tilting to resist the wind.

This level of wind usually wouldn't affect your flying much but can affect your video and gimbal performance because when you're turning or moving your drone, it must tilt more than what was needed to just resist the wind. With that extra angle needed, the gimbal eventually would need to tilt a bit due to angle restrictions.

2021-7-20
Use props
arkglad
lvl.2
France

FriedChicken_II Posted at 7-20 00:38
[view_image]

Actual wind data shows that your drone is flying in the avg wind speed of 6m/s with gusts of 7.7m/s. Mavic Mini 2 was rated to be able to resist the wind under 8.5-10.5m/s, which means the closer you come to this limit, the higher the risk that your gimbal might be restricted because of drone tilting to resist the wind.

Okay :/ and the weather is always bad lol I'am so sad x)
2021-7-20
Use props
FriedChicken_II
lvl.4

Hong Kong

arkglad Posted at 7-20 00:44

You can use cine mode to limit the tilt angle of your drone. Anything that limits the tilt angle shall help. And a little bit of tilting can be easily corrected with some post works.
2021-7-20
Use props
arkglad
lvl.2
France

So the logs showed me the wind on the ground so I didn't realize how windy it was where I had my drone...
Yeah, I had done the cinematic flight to stabilize a little bit better... Because previously I was in sport mode and there it was really not straight !
Thx for the help !!
Did you find anything suspicious in the hardware of my drone?
2021-7-20
Use props
FriedChicken_II
lvl.4

Hong Kong

Some tricks that you might need:
1. Switch to CINE mode, it limits the angular velocity of your drone, making it turning slower, causing much less tilting than normal mode.

2. Slow down your turning speed for CINE mode and Normal mode using DJI Fly app. There're settings available for that.

3. Extra slow down methods can be found here: . Helps to stabilize your drone too.
2021-7-20
Use props
FriedChicken_II
lvl.4

Hong Kong

BTW your case is also the reason that I would like DJI to add estimated wind speed in their app's UI. Many times that people are fooled by weather forecasts or ground wind speeds and might blame things on the drone while the drone was actually doing fine. With a wind indicator we could have made much better decisions during flying!
2021-7-20
Use props
vanP Drone
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1053783 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

After update the firmware my mini2 has still the horizontal gimbal problem. I had that never with my mini-1.
It’s changing when you turn the drone 360.
When will this gimbal problem finally be fixed???
2021-7-20
Use props
Mini2 Flyr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4347785 ft
Australia

vanP Drone Posted at 7-20 01:42
After update the firmware my mini2 has still the horizontal gimbal problem. I had that never with my mini-1.
It’s changing when you turn the drone 360.
When will this gimbal problem finally be fixed???

As initial poster Arkglad has advised, almost certainly you are experiencing flying your little guy in too windy conditions which is causing the tilted horizon. Better to wait to fly when wind is around 2.5 m/s and these are the best conditions and then you will not have crooked horizon. Enjoy your flights and safe flying! Hope to hear all your problem solved when there is no wind.
2021-7-20
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I would like to chirp in here, I too have the same issue, yes it was a bit windy, gusting to 20mph, BUT, and here is the kicker, my mate was flying side by side with his Mini 2 and we both turned 360º and he didn't have the issue, only me.....
2021-7-25
Use props
FriedChicken_II
lvl.4

Hong Kong

Bashy Posted at 7-25 22:45
I would like to chirp in here, I too have the same issue, yes it was a bit windy, gusting to 20mph, BUT, and here is the kicker, my mate was flying side by side with his Mini 2 and we both turned 360º and he didn't have the issue, only me.....

try test flight your drone indoors / in a windless condition and simply hover it, then observe how the gimbal tilts when you turn your drone or turn the gimbal only (by touch and holding the screen for a few seconds until a virtual stick appears to let you turn the gimbal)

2021-7-26
Use props
AussieDronePilot
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1942792 ft
Australia

arkglad Posted at 7-20 00:51
So the logs showed me the wind on the ground so I didn't realize how windy it was where I had my drone...
Yeah, I had done the cinematic flight to stabilize a little bit better... Because previously I was in sport mode and there it was really not straight !
Thx for the help !!

Weather, not just the forecast can fool you every easily. It can be calm or a light breeze at ground level but at 100m AGL it can be gusting to 40km/h.

Have experienced a incorrect weather forecast which predicted 20km/h wind speed with gusts at 35km/h at AGL but on the day the wind was just a light breeze at 5km/h with the odd gust at 10km/h but at 115m AGL the wind was strong enough for the wind warning to register on the drone. Sports mode will restrict the gimbal as well. Use Cine for video or photography and use sports mode if you have to fly into the wind (by remember sports mode and flying into the wind will drain the battery quicker).
2021-7-26
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

FriedChicken_II Posted at 7-26 00:08
try test flight your drone indoors / in a windless condition and simply hover it, then observe how the gimbal tilts when you turn your drone or turn the gimbal only (by touch and holding the screen for a few seconds until a virtual stick appears to let you turn the gimbal)

I dare not indoors, wont it enter atti mode? but I will try it in calm conditions and see what happens, but we bought ours at the same time or there about, a few days in it and both from amazon, just weird how hi didn't do the tilt, we were about 6 ft from each other at the same height of which was about 10ft max, I will let ya know soon
2021-7-26
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hardly any wind as seen by the indicator on the bottom left, you can see the tilt, I calibrated the camera and the imu prior to this flight. I would have thought that the gimbal could easily handle such a low wind speed, yet it still has a bit of lean.

My Davis anemometer is at 10m and showing 2 to 6mph wind speed, and dropped to zero when I posted this
Screenshot_20210726-132701.png
Screenshot_20210726-132654.png
Screenshot_20210726-132649.png
Screenshot_20210726-132644.png
Screenshot_20210726-132636.png
Screenshot_20210726-132608.png
2021-7-26
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Here's a few more that show it worse...
Screenshot_20210726-132608.png
Screenshot_20210726-132556.png
Screenshot_20210726-132546.png
Screenshot_20210726-132530.png
Screenshot_20210726-132447.png
Screenshot_20210726-132439.png
2021-7-26
Use props
arkglad
lvl.2
France

Bashy Posted at 7-26 04:50
Here's a few more that show it worse...[Image]

I think this problem is "normal" x) maybe we need to wait a little bit !
2021-7-26
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

What are we waiting for?
My mates mini 2 doesn't do this...
Are these wires OK, at the back of the right hand side of the camera/gimbal?
20210726_135429.jpg
2021-7-26
Use props
djiuser_nO2RdSW5BSUg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80646017 ft
Poland

I confirm. that sometimes my horizon is bent, but only from the wind. This is my fourth drone. The previous three curved even without wind. My advice: replace under warranty until you get a perfectly tuned one. The reason is the high tolerance of the components. I think so.
2021-7-26
Use props
arkglad
lvl.2
France

Less the wind is, less my horizon is tilted so I think it's the wind too...
And a YouTuber (french one) said that he have the problem like me (drone expert so I think like me he is really carefully about his mini 2). I think I'll wait for a new firmware because I don't want to send again and again my drone to dji (I try to limit my carbon footprint as much as possible about the the returns)
I know it may be silly considering the simple fact that I am a drone pilot ahah
2021-7-26
Use props
arkglad
lvl.2
France

Bashy Posted at 7-26 04:59
What are we waiting for?
Are these wires OK, at the back of the right hand side of the camera/gimbal?[Image]

I think if a wire was broken, the dji app will show you an error about the gimbal.
2021-7-26
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

arkglad Posted at 7-26 05:21
I think if a wire was broken, the dji app will show you an error about the gimbal.

Yeah, ya prob right there, just never see wires like that before.
2021-7-26
Use props
arkglad
lvl.2
France

Bashy Posted at 7-26 05:25
Yeah, ya prob right there, just never see wires like that before.

When I look closer I can see that all your wires are connected
It's not our fault and yes, I have already seen a comment that said that rotating (yawing) right or left also corrects this not straight horizon and indeed it does. So I'm sure it has something to do with the wind because by yawing you change the orientation of the drone in relation to the wind and therefore the tilt of the drone! And in any case a lot of evidences go in the direction of the wind problem not taken into account...
As many people (who seem to know a lot) can say on this forum. Maybe your friend had been in a slightly different situation (the climate is complex anyway) I saw many videos on YouTube where the problem was noticeable but not commented by the youtubers surprisingly.
2021-7-26
Use props
FriedChicken_II
lvl.4

Hong Kong

Bashy Posted at 7-26 04:59
What are we waiting for?
Are these wires OK, at the back of the right hand side of the camera/gimbal?

Are you using FPV mode? If not, ask for a replacement now.
2021-7-26
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

FriedChicken_II Posted at 7-26 06:21
Are you using FPV mode? If not, ask for a replacement now.

No not FPV mode, and dammit, wish id seen this yesterday (not getting emails to alert of new replies, again), just tried and it says I have til the 27th to send it back, just tried and amazon says it has to go to DJI now, that's 14 days without it now

I am in the UK and it has to go to an authorised repair place, an Oympus shaver centre, what the hell is that all about lol
ShipperLabel.gif
2021-7-26
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules