Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Precision Landing (Air 2S)
304 11 7-21 10:08
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
pielgrzym
lvl.2
Flight distance : 731401 ft
United States

Guys, a quick question about landing the Air 2S. I braught it with me on a hike the other day and I had a spot between the rocks that was made out of flat, even surface — a perfect spot to set the drone for a take-off. I noticed, however, that after flying around a little and pressing RTH button, it wasn't going to land exactly whenre I took off from — but about half a meter to the side. That wasn't a good spot to land, so I had to manually land it exactly where I took off from.

Here is my question: is the Air 2S to be expected to land EXACTLY where it took off from, or is .5 - 1 m deviation "normal"?

Thanks!
7-21 10:08
Use props
Niknik
Captain
Flight distance : 1172077 ft
  • >>>
Greece

Hello. First of all, when you take off the drone need to have 12 satellites or more to be accurate in the position, and second and most important is to go straight up for 7 meters, stay there for some seconds, and after go where ever you want to go. if You don't do this procedure during take off then the precision landing does not work and it only lands nearby as accurate as the GPS is. This is because when it takes off the drone takes a photo of the ground and when it returns to home it uses the GPS to return close to the home point and after it uses the camera to compare the real ground with the photo that it took when it started. Also if there is a lot of air it may blow to the drone and push it some centimeters away or more
7-21 14:21
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
Australia

Precision landing would put the drone within inches, if the surface is not suitable or you don't let the drone record the launch point properly, it will use GPS alone and your autolanding could be up to a metre or two off.
But precision landing is just a gimmick anyway.
You can always land teh drone yourself and put the drone exactly where you want it to land.
7-21 15:05
Use props
GaryDoug
Captain
Flight distance : 1116391 ft
United States

Precision landing is important if you are mobile and can't get back to the home point after loss of comms. Usually it works fine for my A2s and Ma2 and M2p (on the landing pad) but sometimes it fails and is off by as much as 10 feet. Still, better than nothing.
7-21 19:21
Use props
FriedChicken_II
Second Officer
Flight distance : 721555 ft

Hong Kong

1. Precision landing only works if you hover the drone a few seconds a few feet above the ground after it says that the home point has been updated. It needs to take a few photogrammetry shots to remember where it launched. And when the drone returns, if the surface has been changed too much (e.g., lighting change, or someone spilled milk on it or something) then the drone would not be able to do precision landing because it cannot recognize the changed surface. When precision landing isn't available, either by not letting the drone hover a few seconds or changed the surface too much, the drone would only be guided with GPS thus it can have a much lower accuracy.

Landing pads with strong contrast can help a lot with that photogrammetry process. You can often get sub 0.5 feet accuracy with the help of a landing pad, or a large cardboard with a few vibrant crosses painted on it.

2. Or, use hand catching skills. Actually, I don't even use a landing pad ever after I got comfortable with my first drone years ago. I simply hand launch and then hand catch it every time. Sometimes when you're on a moving surface like a shaking boat, your only option left is to hand catch your drone before it drowns into water, due to refusing to land on shaking surface like the deck of your boat, due to obstacle avoidance. Even if you turn the feature off, the downwards OA is still always on.
7-21 20:07
Use props
pielgrzym
lvl.2
Flight distance : 731401 ft
United States

Sounds good, I feel much better prepared now to land safely. Thank you, all!
7-21 20:19
Use props
DJI Stephen
Super Moderator

Hello there pielgrzym. Good day and thank you for reaching out. The Precision Landing for the DJI Air 2S automatically scans and attempts to match the terrain features below during RTH. When the current terrain matches the Home Point terrain, the said DJI drone will land. A prompt will appear in DJI Fly if the terrain match fails. Thank you.

7-21 20:22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 1367802 ft
United Kingdom

+1 for Niknik's response.    Spot on.
7-21 23:40
Use props
DowntownRDB
Captain
Flight distance : 525 ft
United States

Niknik Posted at 7-21 14:21
Hello. First of all, when you take off the drone need to have 12 satellites or more to be accurate in the position, and second and most important is to go straight up for 7 meters, stay there for some seconds, and after go where ever you want to go. if You don't do this procedure during take off then the precision landing does not work and it only lands nearby as accurate as the GPS is. This is because when it takes off the drone takes a photo of the ground and when it returns to home it uses the GPS to return close to the home point and after it uses the camera to compare the real ground with the photo that it took when it started. Also if there is a lot of air it may blow to the drone and push it some centimeters away or more

Very thorough and informative reply.  
7-22 04:33
Use props
Captain Dangerous
lvl.4
Flight distance : 251762 ft

Well i learnt something new today.
7-22 21:04
Use props
GaryDoug
Captain
Flight distance : 1116391 ft
United States

Be prepared (in hovering a bit) ..like the Boy Scouts ;-)

But to be honest, you need to hover above the local trees or other obstacles for a few seconds first. The manual states a general height but that depends on your specific topogaphy ( trees, biuldings, etc). When I hover 30 feet high I get the best reults.

7-22 22:24
Use props
Mullheliflier
Captain
Flight distance : 7877047 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I tend to do what most others are recommending. As many satellites as possible and hover for a few seconds before moving off. I have a high contrast landing pad and would say my Air 2s is the most accurate precision landing, usually within 1-2cm. What I have found with my other drones is that if it takes off in a fairly strong breeze it seem to affect precision landing, possibly due to the angle of holding it in place against the wind just on lift off.
7-23 00:28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules