DJI Controller (RM500) Not allow Custom Stick mode. The RC231 Does.
3476 32 2021-7-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Vhmtg
lvl.2
Flight distance : 103215 ft
United States

I have always used the RM500 DJI Controller (2-Phantom 4 and Mavic 2 Pro) and always have changed the Stick mode to custom so I can change the left stick to a "Pull stick back(towards operator)"= DOWN and "Push Stick Forward(away from operator)"= UP .    Until Now.

USING FOR AIR 2S
The RM500 (The $739 accessory) will not allow me to activate the "Custom" mode.  
  • The device tells me I am up to date with firmware (V01.01.0064)
  • It will switch to Mode 1, Mode 3 and back to Mode2 but just not Custom mode. Why?

The  RC231 (The less expensive $119 unit)  DOES ALLOW me modify and save the custom mode like it should.  

What has been lost between the Cell phone/RC231 and the RM500 which causes the RM500 not to work correctly?

MORE IMPORTANT-  Is there a fix for this and if not how long before it is fixed?  If they can do it in a Cell phone surely they can do it in the RM500.

Before Buying my last drone,  I read several places that the RM500 was compatible but I even confirmed it using 2 different sources within DJI. Now I find it doesn't allow me to control the sticks.  This is a very important function. It means the different of flying relaxed and having a good time verses ALWAYS have to thinks twice about the input you are giving the drone.  

Yes this is a long post and I apologize but there is no way I can communicate how frustrating this is.   OR maybe I am really stupid and am missing something simple. If so, my bad.
2021-7-21
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi Vhmtg, sorry for the inconvenience. Currently, you may try to configure the custom mode in DJI GO 4 app, then switch the app to DJI Fly, then the settings will be reflected from DJI GO 4 app to DJI Fly.
The issue will be optimized in the update of DJI Fly app on the Smart Controller.
2021-7-22
Use props
Vhmtg
lvl.2
United States

[img]Good plan except there seems to be a major issue.   I AM able to make changes in the Mavic 2 pro and Phantom 4 pro  software BUT I can NOT change individual controls.   Whomever re-worked the software, it appears that they have never flown before.  Reason I say that????   They have engineered it so you can't move one control at a time. Another way of saying it is that the controls are locked together in pairs.  What a disaster.  I cannot swap places with the Ascend and Descend  (Previously it would. I have flown it that way for 2 drone models).  This has been written INTO THE SOFTWARE as it did not used to be this way.  

The only way to make them change position is to move the Ascend/Descend to a rotate or Yaw position and then move it again.  Then put the Descend in the top box (left stick of course) and that will fix the Ascend/Descend issue but NOW THE DRONE ROTATION IS BACKWARDS.  

I have tried every combination possible but there is no way to get the other 6 controls orientated correctly after changing the Up/Down because everything is tied together in pairs.

Pictures below
Step 1 Open DJI Go 4 app and am able to at least access the custom menu
Step 2 Move Ascend to the Yaw Left
Step 3 Move Descend (Throttle down) to the top window. NOW, the Yaw left and Yaw Right are backwards.
Step 4 Open the "GO FLY" app.  Yes It has absorbed the setting from the DJI Go 4 app but it is still wrong.  The Turn(Yaw) Right and left are backward.  This is still better that up and down being backwards.

2021-7-22
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

May I confirm that are you referring that the setting of the DJI Go 4 is wrong? Could you please send us the video to confirm the whole operation process? You can upload the video to Dropbox or Google Drive and then post the link here. May I ask do you want to exchange the position of 'Yaw Left' and 'yaw Right'? Please try to move 'Yaw Left' to the right window to see if it works?
2021-7-23
Use props
Vhmtg
lvl.2
United States

IF the operation that your red arrows show was possible that would be awesome except the sw WILL NOT ALLOW IT on the RM500.
I have sent you the videos you requested via your email.  3 videos  and 4 pictures.  If you are not able to open the link let me know.
2021-7-23
Use props
Brave
lvl.2
Czechia

Hi, tried and unfortunately for Air 2S that doesn't work at all. Cannot run DJI Go app :/
2021-7-24
Use props
Vhmtg
lvl.2
United States

Use the camera only option.  That's the only way.    Or just use an AIR 2S and compare the RM500 "Smart controller" and the RC231 controller. It is VERY obvious that the RM500  does not work correctly.
2021-7-24
Use props
Vhmtg
lvl.2
United States

Vhmtg Posted at 7-24 13:24
Use the camera only option.  That's the only way.    Or just use an AIR 2S and compare the RM500 "Smart controller" and the RC231 controller. It is VERY obvious that the RM500  does not work correctly.

Use the camera only option.  That's the only way.    Or just use an AIR 2S and compare the RM500 "Smart controller" and the RC231 controller. It is VERY obvious that the RM500  does not work correctly.
2021-7-24
Use props
Brave
lvl.2
Czechia

Use the camera only option.  That's the only way.    Or just use an AIR 2S and compare the RM500 "Smart controller" and the RC231 controller. It is VERY obvious that the RM500  does not work correctly.

OK, thanks, will try.
2021-7-25
Use props
FB: GeoDrone4K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

YOU DJI IDIOTS !
You know very well that if you set the Custom sticks mode in DJI GO4, it will REVERSE the commands in FLY!
THE FLY IS NOT WORKING IN CUSTOM MODE AND YOU DON'T DO ANYTHING !

YOU JUST ACT SURPRISED LIKE YOU FIND OUT NOW ! WELL, HOLLAND TELLS ME IS A PROBLEM FROM 7 MONTHS AGO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DEAL WITH YOUR INCOMPETENCE !
2021-7-25
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Vhmtg Posted at 7-23 22:14
IF the operation that your red arrows show was possible that would be awesome except the sw WILL NOT ALLOW IT on the RM500.
I have sent you the videos you requested via your email.  3 videos  and 4 pictures.  If you are not able to open the link let me know.

Unfortunately, we are unable to check the email you sent. Could you please upload the video to Dropbox or Google Drive and then share the link here or send it through a personal message? Thank you.
2021-7-27
Use props
Vhmtg
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 7-27 18:44
Unfortunately, we are unable to check the email you sent. Could you please upload the video to Dropbox or Google Drive and then share the link here or send it through a personal message? Thank you.

I did that already but will do it again.....   First will be the link then the description of the files.  

But we could save all this if you'd compare the custom stick mode using the RC231 with cell phone Verses the RM500 Smart controller custom stick mode.   It is extremely obvious the failure of the RM500 to operate correctly.

sigh....  here is the link showing the processes:

Meet Google Drive – One place for all your files

Meet Google Drive – One place for all your files
Google Drive is a free way to keep your files backed up and easy to reach from any phone, tablet, or computer. S...

Hi Mindy,
Link is posted below.  Here is an explanation of the different files.

Using my RM500 I need the GoFly to work for my Air 2S.  The GoFly SW on the RM500 will not work in the custom mode at all until after I load the DJI Go 4 SW and manipulate the positions of the controls. BUT even in the DJI G0 4 SW, it DOES NOT WORK COMPLETELY.  I can not move the controls individually.

There are 3 videos.  The first letter of the files are A ,  B, C  (files one, two and three).
The "a" file is when I initially try using the GoFly SW on to control the sticks. You will see that to be a complete failure.
The 'b' file is using then using DJI Go 4 Sw with limited results. At least I can access the controls but can't move them individually.
The "c" file is going back to the GoFly SW and see there is a bit of difference but at least it kept the changes I made even though the turn left and turn right are backwards.

The 4 pictures are how it works when using the RC231 controller and my cell phone.  The pictures have text on them showing Slide 1, Slide 2, etc.

Hopefully it is very clear how the SW works on the RC231 controller and does not work correctly on the RM500.  

The really sad thing is that before I updated things the DJI Go 4 worked perfectly (as of May 30, 2021).  I bought the AIR 2S last week and after updating, could no longer set my controls as I need them to be so I can fly safely.

Here is an idea,  make a 5th mode that sets everything the same except the Up/Down and see how popular it becomes.  Especially with the rest of the RC crowd.

On Tuesday, July 27, 2021, 07:45:00 PM PDT, djifansforumadmin@dji.com <djifansforumadmin@dji.com> wrote:To the files on google drive
2021-7-27
Use props
Vhmtg
lvl.2
United States

documentation of the RM500 Controller not working correctly in Custom stick mode
2021-7-27
Use props
Vhmtg
lvl.2
United States

Vhmtg Posted at 7-27 21:39
documentation of the RM500 Controller not working correctly in Custom stick mode

Using my RM500 I need the GoFly to work for my Air 2S.  The GoFly SW on the RM500 will not work in the custom mode at all until after I load the DJI Go 4 SW and manipulate the positions of the controls. BUT even in the DJI G0 4 SW, it DOES NOT WORK COMPLETELY.  I can not move the controls individually.

There are 3 videos.  The first letter of the files are A ,  B, C  (files one, two and three).
The "a" file is when I initially try using the GoFly SW on to control the sticks. You will see that to be a complete failure.
The 'b' file is using then using DJI Go 4 Sw with limited results. At least I can access the controls but can't move them individually.
The "c" file is going back to the GoFly SW and see there is a bit of difference but at least it kept the changes I made even though the turn left and turn right are backwards.

The 4 pictures are how it works when using the RC231 controller and my cell phone.  The pictures have text on them showing Slide 1, Slide 2, etc.

Hopefully it is very clear how the SW works on the RC231 controller and does not work correctly on the RM500.  

The really sad thing is that before I updated things the DJI Go 4 worked perfectly (as of May 30, 2021).  I bought the AIR 2S last week and after updating, could no longer set my controls as I need them to be so I can fly safely.

Here is an idea,  make a 5th mode that sets everything the same except the Up/Down and see how popular it becomes.  Especially with the rest of the RC crowd.
2021-7-27
Use props
Vhmtg
lvl.2
United States

Again,  we could save all this if you'd compare the custom stick mode using the RC231 with cell phone Verses the RM500 Smart controller custom stick mode.   It is extremely obvious the failure of the RM500 to operate correctly.  Surely you have somebody at your site that has both the RC231 and RM500  and an Air 2S.   Just try it.
2021-7-27
Use props
Brave
lvl.2
Czechia

So I tried it and unfortunately I can't switch between ascent and descent.
2021-7-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Vhmtg Posted at 7-27 21:41
Again,  we could save all this if you'd compare the custom stick mode using the RC231 with cell phone Verses the RM500 Smart controller custom stick mode.   It is extremely obvious the failure of the RM500 to operate correctly.  Surely you have somebody at your site that has both the RC231 and RM500  and an Air 2S.   Just try it.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Unfortunately, we are unable to access the video, because it requires permission. Could you please check the permission settings or upload it to Dropbox and send us the download link to check?
2021-7-28
Use props
lvl.4
  • >>>
Romania

DJI Mindy Posted at 7-28 02:18
Thanks for the detailed explanation. Unfortunately, we are unable to access the video, because it requires permission. Could you please check the permission settings or upload it to Dropbox and send us the download link to check?

Mindy, what the hell ?

HOLLAND DJI confirmed that SMART CONTROLLER IS NOT WORKING in FLY on Custom Mode sticks and is unable to fix this bug !
I have it on email.

How is possible that you, DJI administrators/moderators/what are you anyway/, don't know your own bugs that are there from 7 months ago, and the fact that they cannot be solved????
Why do you still ask for videos?
Take a damn SC and try to change Custom Mode in FLY !!!! If you succeed, make a video for ALL SC users, and we will thank you....but you cannot, as IT IS NOT WORKING IN DJI FLY AND WILL NEVER WORK  !!!!!
2021-7-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

FB: GeoDrone4K Posted at 7-28 02:38
Mindy, what the hell ?

HOLLAND DJI confirmed that SMART CONTROLLER IS NOT WORKING in FLY on Custom Mode sticks and is unable to fix this bug !

Hi there, we are sorry for the inconvenience caused. We've forwarded this issue to the corresponding team. And the issue will be optimized in the update of the DJI Fly app on the Smart Controller. Currently, you may try to configure the custom mode in DJI GO 4 app, then switch the app to DJI Fly, then the settings will be reflected from DJI GO 4 app to DJI Fly.
2021-7-28
Use props
lvl.4
  • >>>
Romania

DJI Mindy Posted at 7-28 03:14
Hi there, we are sorry for the inconvenience caused. We've forwarded this issue to the corresponding team. And the issue will be optimized in the update of the DJI Fly app on the Smart Controller. Currently, you may try to configure the custom mode in DJI GO 4 app, then switch the app to DJI Fly, then the settings will be reflected from DJI GO 4 app to DJI Fly.

Really?
Can you make a video showing us that this OPTION with Go4 than switch to FLY works?

I TELL YOU THAT IS NOT WORKING !!!!!!!!!!!
Stop saying stupid things if you did not try it !!!!!!!!!!!!!
2021-7-28
Use props
Vhmtg
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 7-28 02:18

https://drive.google.com/drive/f ... ayMvY_z?usp=sharing
There is the link
2021-7-28
Use props
Vhmtg
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 7-28 03:14
Hi there, we are sorry for the inconvenience caused. We've forwarded this issue to the corresponding team. And the issue will be optimized in the update of the DJI Fly app on the Smart Controller. Currently, you may try to configure the custom mode in DJI GO 4 app, then switch the app to DJI Fly, then the settings will be reflected from DJI GO 4 app to DJI Fly.

Please give me a contact for the 'corresponding team'.   After spending nearly $800 just for a controller that doesn't work, I believe it would be not asking too much for a way to contact a person or group of persons to check status without starting from scratch with all the questions, pictures, videos.  
That's a fair request isn't it?

From the other posts I've seen, they have got the same response then it goes into a black hole never to be heard of again.  Some are 2 and 3 SW revisions ago I guess.

I think you can see my point in wanting this to work correctly.  Especially after asking THREE different DJI sources for confirmation that the RM500 would work in its entirety before I paid the big money.  At the time I was confident in DJI's developers.  That confidence is a little shaken right now.  

I would love to actually be in contact with the group that is responsible for the development.   It would only take 20 or 30 line of code to fix this.
2021-7-28
Use props
Vhmtg
lvl.2
United States

Vhmtg Posted at 7-28 21:02
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1nUE__QV2tpPWFGpHShfUpuZ1qayMvY_z?usp=sharing
There is the link

Anyone that has the link should be able to see it. if not, please let me know.
2021-7-28
Use props
Vhmtg
lvl.2
United States

Brave Posted at 7-27 23:26
So I tried it and unfortunately I can't switch between ascent and descent.

My video link should work now.   I move the Up to the Left turn then move it to the lower spot (where we WANT the ascend to be).  Unfortunately, it reverses the Left turn /right turn.  A matter of choosing the lesser of 2 evils.
2021-7-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Vhmtg Posted at 7-28 21:24
My video link should work now.   I move the Up to the Left turn then move it to the lower spot (where we WANT the ascend to be).  Unfortunately, it reverses the Left turn /right turn.  A matter of choosing the lesser of 2 evils.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused and thank you very much for the videos. I just provided the suggestion through PM, please check it.
2021-7-29
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

FB: GeoDrone4K Posted at 7-28 04:28
Really?
Can you make a video showing us that this OPTION with Go4 than switch to FLY works?

You can set up the custom mode on the DJI Go 4 and then tap Apply to save it. After that, you can go back to DJI Fly to check the setting. You can also refer to the video shot by Vhmtg. If it still not works, please send us a video to check further.
2021-7-29
Use props
lvl.4
  • >>>
Romania

DJI Mindy Posted at 7-29 02:57
You can set up the custom mode on the DJI Go 4 and then tap Apply to save it. After that, you can go back to DJI Fly to check the setting. You can also refer to the video shot by Vhmtg. If it still not works, please send us a video to check further.

Mindy, stop giving WRONG advices !

If you set it in DJI Go4, and you anter in DJI FLY, UP= Down and Down= UP, all commands are inverted...
Why don't you make a small demo for us, as you all moderators give same wrong advice related to Custom Mode for SC ?

IS NOT WORKING PEOPLE !!!! STOP MISS-ADVICE PEOPLE HERE !!!!
2021-8-2
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

FB: GeoDrone4K Posted at 8-2 07:06
Mindy, stop giving WRONG advices !

If you set it in DJI Go4, and you anter in DJI FLY, UP= Down and Down= UP, all commands are inverted...

Unfortunately, we are unable to reduplicate the said issue by testing. If you meet this issue while setting the stick mode, you can send us an operation video, and we will forward it to our engineer for further confirmation.
2021-8-4
Use props
Vhmtg
lvl.2
United States

Where we at with this issue. Is anybody actually working on it?  We, as users know it is an issue and it would be nice to get it resolved.  Thanks.
2021-8-4
Use props
lvl.4
  • >>>
Romania

Vhmtg Posted at 8-4 18:15
Where we at with this issue. Is anybody actually working on it?  We, as users know it is an issue and it would be nice to get it resolved.  Thanks.

I have returned the SC to dealer here as the Custom Mode is not functioning in Fly.
In my country some like this is treated as Improper Functionality and the dealer needs to pay back all amount from initial invoice.
I advice all to do this, in this way we will force DJI to solve their issues in hard way, as on soft way by talking with this moderators that have no idea what they are doing will not fix the issues.

Sorry to all moderators, this is the ugly truth...at some issues you simply have no idea what we are talking about, so probably you never fly your own products in order to be aware of this issues.
2021-8-5
Use props
pbruck
lvl.1
Germany

Sorry DJI Admins, Moderators or whatever.
I bought today an Smart Controller and updatet it and all Apps to latest Versions.
And i also and still have this absolutely annoing and inacceptable Issue!
Reading this Thread doesnt give me any hope that you are working on it!
This is an really expenive Device and it is less functional but much more dangerous than the simple and cheap normal RC.

Do you really want to tell me and all the other who have payed a lot of Money for this Device, that you are not able or not willed (hard to say what is more bad) to fix this issue which is absolutely  the same on all devices and not an rare bug?

2021-10-5
Use props
pbruck
lvl.1
Germany

Found an possible Workaround!

Good news!

I found an workaround for the Go 4 App and custom Stick Mode.
Because i have an Mini 2 i cannot validate if this is also really working for the Fly App.

My way:

• Downloaded and installed manually the newest APK for Fly and Go 4 Apps from DJI Website. Today i also get and hint for new version of GO 4 App and installed it.
  • Now i tried to setup custom Stick Mode in GO 4 App but still had no success.
  • Then i treied to setup custom Stick Mode in Fly App and this ends with an success Message and correct Stick Modes enabled (shown in App but had no Chance to try because no compatible Drone).
  • Powered on my Mini 2 and entered Setup in GO 4 App.
  • Under Custom Stick Mode Tab it shows me empty Stick Mode Setting fields but custom Mode is still enabled.
  • Now it was time for testing and i was very scared about the effects and behaviour of the Drone because i also had the completely stupid wrong behaviour of the Sticks bevor like some other here.

Aaaaannnd....
It works great!
The custom Mode settings worked well and the Drone flys like i have setup the Stick Mode.

Fly App Version

Fly App Version

Fly App custom Mode Settings

Fly App custom Mode Settings

GO 4 App Version

GO 4 App Version

Go 4 App Custum Mode Settings with empty fields

Go 4 App Custum Mode Settings with empty fields
2021-10-17
Use props
C.Calabrese
lvl.2
Flight distance : 590013 ft
United States

I've started a petition for them to change this. I encourage everyone on this thread to sign and spread this. It's a simple software fix to allow this functionality, and ridiculous they're withholding this from their paying customers. A petition worked for Cine Mode (allegedly), let's force them to pay attention to a large subset of their customers.

https://chng.it/GZQR55tdvV
2022-9-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules