can't update firmware in the field so drone won't fly
3310 14 2021-7-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GreggB
New

United States

Hi, and sorry if this has been addressed before but I continually have major problems with firmware. Like many of you, I tend to fly my drone in remote places where there is no WiFi or cell signal. I can't count how many times I've tried to fly and then had firmware update issues when I can't download. The big problem though is that, instead of simply suggesting I update when possible, this generates errors that leave me unable to fly. Just the other day for example I had a downward motion sensor error and, even though my max height was set to 100 meters, I wasn't able to lift the drone more than about meters. So, I was at an awesome waterfall and simply couldn't do any drone photography because of the firmware issue basically crippling the drone.

I realize that keeping the firmware up to date is good practice but the problem is that I can't update firmware out in the field every time a new release comes out. Surely there must be a way around this as I've found that it just makes drone flying practically impossible.  I have to believe that I must be missing something as this would just be a terrible way to handle firmware updates for a device that we all use out in rural/remote areas.

I appreciate if anyone has suggestions for how to avoid this.

Thanks so much!

2021-7-21
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't understand the issue I guess. With no internet available, how does the app know there is an update available and necessary?
2021-7-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there GreggB. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Kindly try to update the firmware before going in the field and fly your DJI drone using DJI Assistant 2 using a PC. You can download the software here: https://www.dji.com/mavic-2/info#downloads and please refer on the video tutorial below on how to properly update the firmware using a computer. Thank you.

2021-7-21
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

GaryDoug Posted at 7-21 18:45
I don't understand the issue I guess. With no internet avialable, how does the app know there is an update available and necessary?

I get the feeling that new firmware is detected when having a connection. If the connection stays on, it is even downloaded. But only installed the next time you start up, wetter you have a connection or not.

This is not the first claiming updates without a connection.
I also noticed sometimes I click "update" it says "downloading" and then ... nothing anymore until the next time I start the app and the update, firmware or software is done.

A good practise is to check updates at home  connected to the internet before flying.
2021-7-21
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I was always ignore updates when out in the field,  even the fly safe ones,  they can all wait until I get home.   I believe your motion sensor issue was not related to the firmware update pending.
2021-7-21
Use props
GreggB
New

United States

DAFlys Posted at 7-21 23:27
I was always ignore updates when out in the field,  even the fly safe ones,  they can all wait until I get home.   I believe your motion sensor issue was not related to the firmware update pending.

Thanks for this. The problem I have is that I can't ignore the updates. If it says inconsistent firmware found while I'm out in the field, I get these errors, that like I said, basically make it impossible to fly.
2021-7-22
Use props
GreggB
New

United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 7-21 20:45
Hello there GreggB. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Kindly try to update the firmware before going in the field and fly your DJI drone using DJI Assistant 2 using a PC. You can download the software here: https://www.dji.com/mavic-2/info#downloads and please refer on the video tutorial below on how to properly update the firmware using a computer. Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K_2HgksJM4

Hi, thanks for this. Yes, I do try to do this before I head out but the problem is that DJI seems to release updates so frequently that I can still get an inconsistent firmware error while out in the field. Is there not any setting to allow one to fly normally anyway?
2021-7-22
Use props
MedicFL1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4358570 ft
  • >>>
United States

The device you are using can be on automatic update applications and may do so before you leave "home".
Then when you get to that remote location , the update now maybe be visible OSD.
Connect and startup drone at home prior to leaving may help this situation.
I turn off auto updates on my iPad mini4.
2021-7-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GreggB Posted at 7-22 07:27
Thanks for this. The problem I have is that I can't ignore the updates. If it says inconsistent firmware found while I'm out in the field, I get these errors, that like I said, basically make it impossible to fly.

inconsistent firmware usually means you've installed an update previously but one of the components hasn't been updated yet,  most commonly this is a battery as each battery has to go through the update process when do the firmware.
2021-7-22
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

GreggB Posted at 7-22 07:29
Hi, thanks for this. Yes, I do try to do this before I head out but the problem is that DJI seems to release updates so frequently that I can still get an inconsistent firmware error while out in the field. Is there not any setting to allow one to fly normally anyway?

Hi there GreggB. Thank you for the reply and for these information. May we also know if you have updated the intelligent flight batteries of your DJI Mavic 2 Pro and the remote controller of your DJI Mavic 2 Pro as well for us to be able to isolate the said issue? Thank you.
2021-7-23
Use props
GreggB
New

United States

DAFlys Posted at 7-22 23:34
inconsistent firmware usually means you've installed an update previously but one of the components hasn't been updated yet,  most commonly this is a battery as each battery has to go through the update process when do the firmware.

I will try this for sure. Thanks.
2021-7-23
Use props
GreggB
New

United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 7-23 01:40
Hi there GreggB. Thank you for the reply and for these information. May we also know if you have updated the intelligent flight batteries of your DJI Mavic 2 Pro and the remote controller of your DJI Mavic 2 Pro as well for us to be able to isolate the said issue? Thank you.

Hi, Stephen. I probably have not done each of the batteries. I assume that I do this through DJI assistant by plugging in the drone and each battery? I will try that before I head out next time.

Thanks!
2021-7-23
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Flight distance : 44914321 ft
Sweden

If the drone works fine normally, I always set the phone to airplane mode before I leave home (no 4g or wi-fi) and you will not get disturbed when out flying.
2021-7-23
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

GreggB Posted at 7-23 08:03
Hi, Stephen. I probably have not done each of the batteries. I assume that I do this through DJI assistant by plugging in the drone and each battery? I will try that before I head out next time.

Thanks!

Hi there GreggB. Thank you for these information and kindly please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.
2021-7-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Just the other day for example I had a downward motion sensor error and, even though my max height was set to 100 meters, I wasn't able to lift the drone more than about meters. So, I was at an awesome waterfall and simply couldn't do any drone photography because of the firmware issue basically crippling the drone.

Firmware did not cripple your drone.
Your imagined issue had nothing to do with firmware issues.
You'll find what actually happened on p57 in your manual :
  Height is restricted to 16 ft (5 m) when the GPS signal is weak and Downward Vision System is activated.
  Height is restricted to 98 ft (30 m) when the GPS signal is weak and Downward Vision System is inactivated.

And if you turn off autoupdating of apps in your phone or tablet, that will stop it from nagging you about firmware updates (that usually do nothing for you anyway).

2021-7-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules