Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Charging Sony a7S III with DJI RSC 2
4376 5 2021-7-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kylemcdonald
lvl.1

United States

I would like to power my DJI RSC 2 and my Sony a7S III for 8 hours using an external USB-C power supply.
I plugged the RSC 2 into a 65W USB C PD wall charger. Then I plugged the RSC 2 RSS Camera Control Port into the a7S III USB-C port with the included DJI USB-C to USB-C cable.

In the a7S III I have enabled "PC Remote" mode, and I enabled USB Power.

I can see that the a7S III has a "charging" icon (plug icon) next to the battery level. And sometimes the RSC 2 shows a "charging" icon (lighting icon) flickering next to the battery level.

But if I leave the camera and gimbal on for a few hours, the a7S III battery slowly drops to 0% while the RSC 2 battery stays at 100%.

I plugged the a7S III into an external battery that reports the energy usage using the USB C cable, and the power usage is around 4.6W. When it is plugged into this battery, the a7S III battery stays at 100%. In this thread an admin reports that the RSS Camera Control Port can provide 5V/2A, or 10W. So it should not be a power usage issue.

Can I power the a7S III from the RSC 2, or do I need to unplug the RSS cable and run a separate USB C cable for power?

If the a7S III can only be powered by disabling the camera control feature, that's also ok. Thanks.
2021-7-22
Use props
kylemcdonald
lvl.1

United States

I might have a hint here. I got a USB-C multimeter and I was able to see that the a7S III uses 9V and 0.4A when plugged in to a 65W USB-C power supply. But when it is plugged in to the RSS Camera Control port it uses 5V and 0.4A. So it seems like the problem could be explained either as 1. The RSC 2 can only provide 5V, or 2. The a7S III only requests 0.4A instead of ~0.72A to account for the voltage difference.

Is there something I can do with the RSC 2 to fix this? Thanks.
2021-7-25
Use props
DJI-RS PM 铁匠
lvl.2

Hong Kong

hello ,Rsc2's  maximum charging  current is not higher than 0.5A for camera. It's  the hardware design, There is no other way to fix it
2021-7-27
Use props
kylemcdonald
lvl.1

United States

DJI-RS PM 铁匠 Posted at 7-27 01:00
hello ,Rsc2's  maximum charging  current is not higher than 0.5A for camera. It's  the hardware design, There is no other way to fix it

Thanks for the update. I will run a separate cable to the camera to power it.

Does the RS 2 also have a 5V/0.5A limit, or is it different? Thanks.
2021-7-27
Use props
DJI-RS PM 铁匠
lvl.2

Hong Kong

kylemcdonald Posted at 7-27 05:03

yes ,RS 2 also have a 5V/0.5A limit,  it have no different
2021-7-27
Use props
EttoreCattoli
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2473432 ft
  • >>>
Italy

kylemcdonald Posted at 2021-7-27 05:03

Hi, can you show how you have fixed the power bank on the gimbal?
2022-2-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules