NEWBIE DJI MINI 2 - BEST WAY TO GET FOOTAGE TO COMPUTER
2280 6 2021-7-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mark5000
lvl.1

Canada

Hello Group!!
I got my son (13) a DJI MINI 2 which he is just loving! He has got some footage on the SD CARD that he is trying to get into Final Cut Pro trial version. He has managed to get the footage into Final Cut by using a cord from the drone to the computer. I notice the drone gets quite hot which to me isn't a good sign?

Need Help with the following Please!

We couldn't find a safe eject button to remove the drone from the computer. If we just remove the cord or switch off the drone the footage on final cut turns black? (Maybe not enough space on my computer?)

Is it best to remove the SD Card from the drone and buy an adapter then plug into the computer?

Is there a way to transfer the footage on the SD Card to an external hard drive through Final Cut Pro or a better way?

I'm no computer expert so please use laymans terms.

Thank You for your time!!

2021-7-23
Use props
ryguy5
New
Flight distance : 149567 ft
United States

I would just get a USB card reader similar to this. Pop the SD card into that guy then into your computer like any old USB drive. You'll probably have to copy the video's direct to the computer's hard drive. My guess is that Final Cut was reading the videos direct from the drone which is why it went black when you unplugged the drone. You eliminated the source and FCP didn't know where the file went.  While I don't have an Apple laptop or FCP, once the video's are on your hard drive, you should be able to import them into the FCP and then edit away.

Copying the video's/photos off the SD card is a good idea anyway so you free up space for future flights! The worst would be going to fly and not having enough space for a photo or video.
2021-7-23
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Best to get a card reader.  Also check out DaVinci resolve, they have a free tier that is comparable to FCPX for the most part.
2021-7-24
Use props
denflies
lvl.2
Flight distance : 649209 ft
United States

Mark5000, you are correct. An SD card adapter is the way to go. You didn't mention which Mac you are using, but if it is a recent model with a USB-C port, Apple sells an adapter to fit a full-size SD card for $39. The product is called "USB-C to SD Card Reader." You would need to use an adapter to fit the micro SD card into the full-size adapter. You may have gotten an adapter when you purchased your micro SD card or you might have to buy another card that has one. The folks at your local electronics retailer ought to be able to help you with that.  If you are using a particularly old Mac, it may still have an SD card slot, but they stopped providing them a few years back.
2021-7-24
Use props
Mark5000
lvl.1

Canada

denflies Posted at 7-24 19:03
Mark5000, you are correct. An SD card adapter is the way to go. You didn't mention which Mac you are using, but if it is a recent model with a USB-C port, Apple sells an adapter to fit a full-size SD card for $39. The product is called "USB-C to SD Card Reader." You would need to use an adapter to fit the micro SD card into the full-size adapter. You may have gotten an adapter when you purchased your micro SD card or you might have to buy another card that has one. The folks at your local electronics retailer ought to be able to help you with that.  If you are using a particularly old Mac, it may still have an SD card slot, but they stopped providing them a few years back.

Thank You! I got a SSD card and an SD adapter. The final cut pro demo was a nightmare and we kept loosing the media, so frustrating so switched to Adobe Premier, Really happy with how it is working, sure its more expensive program but so disappointed with final cut pro.
This is his first attempt using Adobe Pro...please check it out. Hope the link works...if not search youtube the eddie, prince edward county
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLCxmdzc4LY

Thx again everyone.
2021-7-26
Use props
denflies
lvl.2
Flight distance : 649209 ft
United States

Mark5000 Posted at 7-26 09:57
Thank You! I got a SSD card and an SD adapter. The final cut pro demo was a nightmare and we kept loosing the media, so frustrating so switched to Adobe Premier, Really happy with how it is working, sure its more expensive program but so disappointed with final cut pro.
This is his first attempt using Adobe Pro...please check it out. Hope the link works...if not search youtube the eddie, prince edward county
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLCxmdzc4LY

Nicely done…and quickly. I wish I could have learned Premier that quickly.  I hope your son continues to enjoy flying and filmmaking.
2021-7-26
Use props
klausfelix
New

Pakistan

I would just get a USB card reader similar to this.

Pop the SD card into that guy then into your computer like any old USB drive.

You'll probably have to copy the video's direct to the computer's hard drive.

My guess is that Final Cut was reading the videos direct from the drone which is why it went black when you unplugged the drone.

You eliminated the source and FCP didn't know where the file went.

While I don't have an Apple laptop or FCP, once the video's are on your hard drive, you should be able to import them into the FCP and then edit away.

2022-3-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules