DJI Pocket 2, charging compatibility
7957 13 2021-7-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jonyessss
lvl.1

United Arab Emirates

Hi, I want to buy a power bank to charge my DJI pocket 2, however, I wanna make sure that won't damage the battery.
So, will I be able to charge the pocket 2 without damaging the battery using a power bank with those characteristics?
The power bank name/brand is: Anker PowerCore Slim 10000 PD
Advanced Charging Options:
Power up USB-C mobile devices at full speed with the 18W Power Delivery port, juice up via a 12W PowerIQ enabled USB-A port

Here are the pocket 2 characteristics:

Battery
  • Type
  • LiPo
  • Capacity
  • 875 mAh
  • Energy
  • 6.738 Wh
  • Voltage
  • 7.7 V
  • Charging Voltage Limit
  • 8.8 V
  • Input Voltage
  • 5 V/2 A or 5 V/1 A
  • Charging Environment Temperature
  • 5° to 60° C (41° to 140° F)
  • Operating Temperature
  • 0° to 40° C (32° to 104° F)
  • Operating Time
  • 140 minutes
    (Tested in a laboratory environment while recording 1080p/24fps video and should be used for reference only)

• Charging Time
  • 73 minutes (when using a 5V/2A USB adapter)

Thanks a lot if someone is able to help me with that.
2021-7-24
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. The DJI Pocket 2 can be used while charging using a power bank and not a direct connection to the power outlet. It is recommended that you use it by itself after being fully charged. Using it while charging will cause the battery to heat up and affect its service life. If you need to enhance the mobile battery life, the DJI Pocket 2 charging case can be used, and the built-in battery storage capacity can recharge the Pocket 2 about 1.5times. In addition, the recommended charger for the DJI Pocket 2 is 5V/2A USB adapter. Kindly please use the said recommended output value and please do not exceed when using the unit at the same time charging it using your power bank to avoid issues. Thank you!
2021-7-24
Use props
Jonyessss
lvl.1

United Arab Emirates

Thank you for your reply.
As you mentioned, " In addition, the recommended charger for the DJI Pocket 2 is 5V/2A USB adapter. Kindly please use the said recommended output value and please do not exceed when using the unit at the same time charging it using your power bank to avoid issues."
So does the power bank example I gave exceeds or doesn't exceed the recommended output?
(The power bank name/brand is: Anker PowerCore Slim 10000 PD
Advanced Charging Options:
Power up USB-C mobile devices at full speed with the 18W Power Delivery port, juice up via a 12W PowerIQ enabled USB-A port)

Thank you.
2021-7-25
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

18w is 3.6 Ampere, so it's too powerful since P2 use 2 Ampere
2021-7-25
Use props
Jonyessss
lvl.1

United Arab Emirates

johansenfoto Posted at 7-25 04:23
18w is 3.6 Ampere, so it's too powerful since P2 use 2 Ampere

Thanks. How about this option: "juice up via a 12W PowerIQ enabled USB-A port"?
2021-7-25
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Jonyessss Posted at 7-25 04:28
Thanks. How about this option: "juice up via a 12W PowerIQ enabled USB-A port"?

Don't know about that
2021-7-25
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Jonyessss Posted at 7-25 02:05
Thank you for your reply.
As you mentioned, " In addition, the recommended charger for the DJI Pocket 2 is 5V/2A USB adapter. Kindly please use the said recommended output value and please do not exceed when using the unit at the same time charging it using your power bank to avoid issues."
So does the power bank example I gave exceeds or doesn't exceed the recommended output?

18W is higher than the said recommended charger. Kindly please look for an adapter that supports 5V/2A. Thank you!
2021-7-25
Use props
Jonyessss
lvl.1

United Arab Emirates

DJI Paladin Posted at 7-25 20:32
18W is higher than the said recommended charger. Kindly please look for an adapter that supports 5V/2A. Thank you!

Thanks for your reply. I the 18w wouldn't work, but what about the other option: "juice up via a 12W PowerIQ enabled USB-A port"?
2021-7-26
Use props
Ricardo Vieira
lvl.4
Portugal

I believe the 18w from the powerbank it's the maximum  power when using the two usb ports together... Look for the full spces.

I have this one, except it's the 10000mah, I rarely use it, only once...
https://xiaomi-mi.com/power-bank ... t-charge-20000-mah/

Now I'm in doubt if I have the correct one as well
2021-7-26
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Jonyessss Posted at 7-26 01:46
Thanks for your reply. I the 18w wouldn't work, but what about the other option: "juice up via a 12W PowerIQ enabled USB-A port"?

For the said feature, Jonynesss. You may try to contact the said Powerbank support to ask for this said option. Thank you for your understanding.
2021-7-26
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

I am wondering the same thing, tried to look for a suitable power bank but haven't found one that I know for sure to be compatible, to keep the camera rolling without shutting down in the middle of the recording and to not damage the Pocket 2.

DJI has stated that using an AC adapter while recording is not recommended due to possible overheating, so that rules that option out.

I was wondering if one of these could do the trick: https://www.anker.com/es/products/variant/powercore-metro-20,000-mah-battery/A1268H11-2

Anyone having experiences about this one?
2021-10-4
Use props
fans74e5d336
lvl.1
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 2021-10-4 14:31
I am wondering the same thing, tried to look for a suitable power bank but haven't found one that I know for sure to be compatible, to keep the camera rolling without shutting down in the middle of the recording and to not damage the Pocket 2.

DJI has stated that using an AC adapter while recording is not recommended due to possible overheating, so that rules that option out.

I am trying to find a post about why a USB C output powerbank (like the Smatree DJI Osmo Pocket 2 Charger Power Stick) doesn't work when the pocket has the all in one base, or the wifi module (pocket 1) attached, but whilst I am here will share what I understand.

1. The current draw (and hence power) from a power source is determined by the device.  The only thing that's controlled by the source is the voltage.  That's why you can put a 30w lamp or a 200w lamp in a normal light socket....  Some older devices may not have had the circuitry to understand how to limit what they can draw, however that's not really been the case for a decade now.

2. charging whilst recording may add some heat.  However I have successfully charged and recorded for more than 8 hours, and the heat was mainly due to the settings, rather than the charging.  I took some temp readings and there was no noticeable difference based on charging or not.

3. if you have a USB C port on your charger, the pocket "attachments" don't know how to do USB-C charging protocol (the new thing that lets everything from laptops drawing 40w to earbuds drawing 1w to communicate it's charging needs properly).  So you need to use a pack with USB-A out.  However some convenient tools (like the handle listed above), have only USB-C.  In which case use a tiny USB A to USB C converter, for about $4, which "dumbs down" the signal to USB-A, and it all works fine...
2023-10-2
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

fans74e5d336 Posted at 10-2 12:43
I am trying to find a post about why a USB C output powerbank (like the Smatree DJI Osmo Pocket 2 Charger Power Stick) doesn't work when the pocket has the all in one base, or the wifi module (pocket 1) attached, but whilst I am here will share what I understand.

1. The current draw (and hence power) from a power source is determined by the device.  The only thing that's controlled by the source is the voltage.  That's why you can put a 30w lamp or a 200w lamp in a normal light socket....  Some older devices may not have had the circuitry to understand how to limit what they can draw, however that's not really been the case for a decade now.

Not that much knowledge about technical side of things, sorry if I can't be much of help in that. But for me, my Anker Powercore 20,000 mAh powerbank seems to do the job fine when using the trickle charge mode. The heat seems to stay under control when not connected to a smartphone device wirelessly for live preview (and if it's colder or if there is some kind of system to cool it down, it does the job even when a smartphone is connected through wifi). This is just a pure guess, but I do think that the trickle charge mode, while slower in charging, probably also lessens the danger of overheating.
2023-10-3
Use props
laszlo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 48688 ft
  • >>>
United States

This Anker has a triple charge feature and works! I'm able to do long time lapses without the power banks shutting down    https://amzn.to/3TsJERp
3-21 07:57
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules