806 8 2021-7-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

I thought it would never happened.. but I crashed into a tree.  No catastrophic damage but the front left prop and rear left a bit hit the a super small tree/bush, luckily.  I thought I had it under control after flying for so many years but when it hit I was like f*.  I could hear it in the earbuds and the drone moved right (still in the air).  I had a similar issue w/ a DIY drone, ended up ripping an ESC wire and motor wire in that "crash".  It just shows that when you get good, you can neglect the basics and crash in anything.  My confidence is down but I hardly fly tight anyway though I was going to in the future.   It was like the same awareness I had when I was ready to bring the motorbike on the highway at full throttle in the wet for the first time but before I was going to, I almost super high-sided which generated a phobia for me.  Now in the wet I go slow.

I had a super clean feed, no lag, no excuse.
2021-7-24
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. We're sorry to know the incident that happened. We're glad to know that there is no huge damage on the unit when you experience the said incident. Please don't hesitate to reach us if you have other inquiries or concerns. Thank you and take care always!
2021-7-24
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Glad to hear only minor damage that is easily repairable.  

Reminds me of what my flight instructor used to say - Complacency Kills. It finds vulnerability in the comfort of your past success and waits for you to develop over-confidence and to lose sight of the dangers around you.  

Anyway, I'm sure you'll recover and continue to fly many, many more miles.  
2021-7-25
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 7-25 03:46

Reminds me of what my flight instructor used to say - Complacency Kills. It finds vulnerability in the comfort of your past success and waits for you to develop over-confidence and to lose sight of the dangers around you.  

It's not broken.  Just some green stuff on the props which were easily removed with pushing it off.

"Complacency Kills. It finds vulnerability in the comfort of your past success and waits for you to develop over-confidence and to lose sight of the dangers around you."  That is right. :)  The real question is though, if people honestly didn't intentionally know at the time and they've died, if a better afterlife was made then it was great they had no idea?  Of course though, we should never be too complacent but that is something to train for.
2021-7-25
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Been thinking a lot about that complacency, lol.  Every time I feel confident, I get scared now.
2021-8-1
Use props
fly_y666
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1092070 ft
United States

I wonder how many batteries you fly each time and during which battery you crashed. Because so far all of my crashes are with the last/3rd battery. I think, like above posts suggested, complacency, kills. Also for myself, the fatigue may have contributed. When flying, I could not notice any fatigue, but watching videos closely, I think I can observe my reaction time and precision degrading during the last battery.
2021-8-1
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fly_y666 Posted at 8-1 20:58
I wonder how many batteries you fly each time and during which battery you crashed. Because so far all of my crashes are with the last/3rd battery. I think, like above posts suggested, complacency, kills. Also for myself, the fatigue may have contributed. When flying, I could not notice any fatigue, but watching videos closely, I think I can observe my reaction time and precision degrading during the last battery.

3rd batt but I was flying the circuit so many times in the past.  I was flying with all the camera stabilizations on so it was cropped.  When you get used to the circuit it gets simple and simple but then it tree rubs.  I think because I turned the crosshair off so I couldn't tell the drifting as I wanted to see what it looks like from the air high up w/o it in peace.  The drone crabs at times out of a speed turn (which varies much depending on the conditions) that if you don't have the center crosshair, it's hard to tell about the drift so giving stick forward w/ it's yaw, flying fast, and flying tight = recipe for disaster.

edit: Indeed center point was off.  My confidence should rise slowly again.
2021-8-1
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Glad to hear only minor damage that is easily repairable.  

Definitely watching for complacency in everything I do in life now.  When it feels too confident, that is why I become more aware.
2021-8-3
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 8-3 14:11
Definitely watching for complacency in everything I do in life now.  When it feels too confident, that is why I become more aware.

Great plan.
2021-8-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules