New Air2s with DOA controller
477 10 2021-7-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Paulomatic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 194797 ft
United States

My brand-new, unflown Air2s has a defective controller. Controller's USB cable will not connect to anything, including the charger.

I was able to get the system activated and was just beginning to test the camera when I saw that the controller battery was getting low. Then I realized it wasn't connecting to the charger (and/or maybe the battery is defective?). When turned on it shows one battery light, then goes into low battery warning. Charger is fine: it charged the flight batteries and two different phones with my cable and the DJI cable.

DJI Assistant immediately sees the drone when connected, but does not see controller using the same cable.

Cheerful DJI chat guy is sorry for my misfortune and suggests that I box up the entire kit and return it for a "possible" exchange. I do not like this idea at all.

I see three possible options-

1. Buy a replacement controller off eBay. 60-90 dollars and in my hands in two or three days. Then send original defective controller back to DJI without much worry.

2. Do a DOA exchange with the dealer. I'll be able to chat with them tomorrow, don't expect any trouble doing an exchange. A new kit in my hands in a week to 10 days.

3. Send off the entire kit to DJI. Mid-south to California, that's a minimum of four days, quite possibly a week or more. Then 5-7 days at the "factory" (maybe expedited) then another week back. Absolute best case scenario- it's gone for 2-3 weeks. Most likely case- it's gone for 3-5 weeks.

I bought this thing for a trip in mid September, I bought it early so I'd have plenty of time for practice flights.

Option 1 seems to get me airborne quickest. Is there anything I'm missing?
2021-7-24
Use props
FriedChicken_II
lvl.4
Flight distance : 721555 ft

Hong Kong

im not sure if youre operating your controller correctly as your account is new and you looks like fresh to the airborne life...

There're two usb c ports on your controller. one for connecting your phone and one for charging your controller on the bottom. Are you sure that youre charging from the right port?

the other thing is that you turn on your controller by sjort press and then long press the power button until it starts. its not just a short press neither just a long press.
2021-7-24
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bottom port for charging, top port for communication.
2021-7-24
Use props
Paulomatic
lvl.2
United States

Well aware of both these things. But thanks

Started flying R/C in 1973, flew my first quad around 15 years ago, just bought Air2s because camera finally got good enough at a decent price. Not a hard-core drone guy, but not my first rodeo either.
2021-7-24
Use props
FriedChicken_II
lvl.4

Singapore

Paulomatic Posted at 7-24 18:53

Started flying R/C in 1973, flew my first quad around 15 years ago, just bought Air2s because camera finally got good enough at a decent price. Not a hard-core drone guy, but not my first rodeo either.

Then maybe the best option for you is to get an replacement from your dealer maybe?
2021-7-24
Use props
Paulomatic
lvl.2
United States

FriedChicken_II Posted at 7-24 20:07
Then maybe the best option for you is to get an replacement from your dealer maybe?

Probably the simplest, though not the fastest.

I just realized I might be able to borrow a controller for testing. Any reason not to pair a different controller with my drone?
2021-7-24
Use props
FriedChicken_II
lvl.4

Singapore

Paulomatic Posted at 7-24 20:24
Probably the simplest, though not the fastest.

I just realized I might be able to borrow a controller for testing. Any reason not to pair a different controller with my drone?

no, unless you manually lock your drone with the controller in app. it's a pretty hidden feature so I'm sure that you wouldn't be bothering it.
2021-7-24
Use props
Jonatan.N
Second Officer
Flight distance : 170627 ft

Does the dealer accept a refund, maybe you ask them for a refund of the current drone and purchase again from the dealer so you can get the drone immediately.
2021-7-25
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi there, I am sorry to hear about the issue you encountered with the controller. You may try to contact the reseller to see if they can help you with the replacement directly. Or you can send the drone back to our service center for diagnosis and service. Linking the drone to another controller is also supported. If there is any help needed from our side, please feel free to let us know, we will do our best to help.
2021-7-26
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

Paulomatic Posted at 7-24 18:53

Try a different USB cable if you have one.
2021-7-26
Use props
Paulomatic
lvl.2
United States

Thanks for all the helpful advice- DOA swap arranged with dealer. Seemed like the cleanest solution, but did have to pack up the entire kit.

Definitely a bad controller/battery- it never took any charge. Tried four different cables, the DJI charger with any cable would charge a phone or tablet just fine.

Now must endure a week or so shipping time...
2021-7-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules