Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI App overheated iPhone and dimmed screen
934 11 2021-7-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
vz10
lvl.2
Flight distance : 196962 ft
  • >>>

My iPhone 12 Pro Max with DJI App running starts overheating and eventually dims the screen to reduce energy consumption. When it happened for the first time I nearly crashed my drone because I couldn't see almost anything on the dimmed screen under the sun so I had to navigate it back almost by ears (literally).
Apparently, it's an App issue and I thought that it's a bug in the latest release but I saw a lot of complaints from other customers about a year old with the same issue. I tried all the DJI  and community-recommended workarounds - disabled auto-brightness, removed case, disabled compass in the app, and some other stupid advices but none of them helped.

Currently, my drone is completely useless because I can fly it for no more than 5 minutes and not further than 100 meters to be able to bring it back without the app. I'd like to hear from DJI do they have this bug in their roadmap and what is ETA for the fix, otherwise if anyone needs DJI Mini 2 - it's on sale.
2021-7-24
Use props
DJI Paladin
Super Moderator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. Can you please confirm what specific version of the DJI Fly app are you at right now? Also, can you please confirm if the feature that charges the mobile device via the controller is enabled? You may try to disable it and check if the issue persists. Please keep us posted. Thank you!
2021-7-24
Use props
vz10
lvl.2
  • >>>

DJI Paladin Posted at 7-24 19:37
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. Can you please confirm what specific version of the DJI Fly app are you at right now? Also, can you please confirm if the feature that charges the mobile device via the controller is enabled? You may try to disable it and check if the issue persists. Please keep us posted. Thank you!

Hi, thank you for the quick response.

App version is the latest so far - 1.4.8 and the charging from controller feature is already disabled.

Just in case you need - iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 14.7
2021-7-24
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 12528002 ft
United Kingdom

Make sure you have turned off iPhone charging,  this will increase the heat generated and has been a real problem when they removed the option a couple of releases back.
2021-7-25
Use props
vz10
lvl.2
  • >>>

Double checked, charging turned off.  Actually yesterday I was able to get phone to the dimmed state after about 15 minutes of just laying on a table connected to the drone without actual flying or recording.
2021-7-26
Use props
DJI Paladin
Super Moderator
Flight distance : 318 ft

vz10 Posted at 7-24 19:46
Hi, thank you for the quick response.

App version is the latest so far - 1.4.8 and the charging from controller feature is already disabled.

You may try to uninstall and reinstall the app using the link below to see if there would be a difference. Also, please make sure that you are using the original cable that came with the unit when connecting your mobile device to the RC. Please keep us posted. Thank you!

https://www.dji.com/downloads/djiapp/dji-fly
2021-7-26
Use props
vz10
lvl.2
  • >>>

Problem solved. I reinstalled the app launched drone, phone dimmed again and I crashed my drone. Apparently I don’t experience this issue anymore, thank you for assistance.

You can like its last flight to honor its memory:
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CSApPkVpOaN/?utm_medium=copy_link
2021-7-31
Use props
fans954bafa8
lvl.1
Austria

This is a joke!

DJI get your app sorted! This is absolutely not acceptable! So many iOS users have the same issues. Its your poor iOS coding, which makes your product really dangerous!
2021-9-21
Use props
djiuser_DeOCrZe4IrjX
New

United Kingdom

DJI Paladin Posted at 7-24 19:37

Hi This is a software issue my OM 4 dims my IPhone 12 Pro Max as well! this needs a software update to stop overheating of the screens!!!
2021-10-18
Use props
PavelD
lvl.1

United States

I have the same problem on an iPhone 12 mini. The smartphone overheats, I have to carefully return the drone back. I never switched on charging from the remote control, because I did not want to discharge the remote control. I tried to remove the cover, it did not help. I use the original cable from the kit. In any case, I see no reason why replacing the cable or disconnecting the charging or removing the case from the phone should fix a bug in the program. Why aren't the developers tackling this problem?
2021-10-19
Use props
djiuser_XddVxk7ciXhh
lvl.1
Flight distance : 84022 ft
Australia

DEAR DJI,,,

Are you actually listening???

I have the same issue on a Mini 2. Screen dims after 5-10 minutes.

Tried Absolutely Everything, so don’t come at me with any advice. I have disabled EVERY SETTING, auto brightness, remove case, stand in shade, disabled auto charging etc.

Screen dims on brand new iPhone 13 Pro Max and my spare XS Max.
The issue is within your app. I was going to purchase a Air 2S but that is definitely on hold until DJI address this issue within the DJI FLY APP.

PLEASE LISTEN TO YOUR CONSUMERS AND FAN BASE.
WITHOUT US YOU LOSE YOUR CREDIBILITY.

PLEASE FIX YOUR APP!!!

Are you listening???
2021-10-19
Use props
djiuser_XknG02k3jxE7
lvl.1

United States

My Mini 2 overheated my iPhone 12 Pro Max on May 15, 2022.   Screen dimmed, then said it overheated.  Screen went blank.  Firmware is up to date.  I have the latest firmware.  Luckily, the Mini 2 was only 20 feet high and hovering.  I was able to fly it back by using line of  site.  What is the solution.  Ambient temp was only 80 degrees F.
5-15 22:33
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules