5576 19 2021-7-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
vz10
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1683727 ft
  • >>>
United States

My iPhone 12 Pro Max with DJI App running starts overheating and eventually dims the screen to reduce energy consumption. When it happened for the first time I nearly crashed my drone because I couldn't see almost anything on the dimmed screen under the sun so I had to navigate it back almost by ears (literally).
Apparently, it's an App issue and I thought that it's a bug in the latest release but I saw a lot of complaints from other customers about a year old with the same issue. I tried all the DJI  and community-recommended workarounds - disabled auto-brightness, removed case, disabled compass in the app, and some other stupid advices but none of them helped.

Currently, my drone is completely useless because I can fly it for no more than 5 minutes and not further than 100 meters to be able to bring it back without the app. I'd like to hear from DJI do they have this bug in their roadmap and what is ETA for the fix, otherwise if anyone needs DJI Mini 2 - it's on sale.
2021-7-24
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. Can you please confirm what specific version of the DJI Fly app are you at right now? Also, can you please confirm if the feature that charges the mobile device via the controller is enabled? You may try to disable it and check if the issue persists. Please keep us posted. Thank you!
2021-7-24
Use props
vz10
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 7-24 19:37
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. Can you please confirm what specific version of the DJI Fly app are you at right now? Also, can you please confirm if the feature that charges the mobile device via the controller is enabled? You may try to disable it and check if the issue persists. Please keep us posted. Thank you!

Hi, thank you for the quick response.

App version is the latest so far - 1.4.8 and the charging from controller feature is already disabled.

Just in case you need - iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 14.7
2021-7-24
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Make sure you have turned off iPhone charging,  this will increase the heat generated and has been a real problem when they removed the option a couple of releases back.
2021-7-25
Use props
vz10
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Double checked, charging turned off.  Actually yesterday I was able to get phone to the dimmed state after about 15 minutes of just laying on a table connected to the drone without actual flying or recording.
2021-7-26
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

vz10 Posted at 7-24 19:46
Hi, thank you for the quick response.

App version is the latest so far - 1.4.8 and the charging from controller feature is already disabled.

You may try to uninstall and reinstall the app using the link below to see if there would be a difference. Also, please make sure that you are using the original cable that came with the unit when connecting your mobile device to the RC. Please keep us posted. Thank you!

https://www.dji.com/downloads/djiapp/dji-fly
2021-7-26
Use props
vz10
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Problem solved. I reinstalled the app launched drone, phone dimmed again and I crashed my drone. Apparently I don’t experience this issue anymore, thank you for assistance.

You can like its last flight to honor its memory:
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CSApPkVpOaN/?utm_medium=copy_link
2021-7-31
Use props
fans954bafa8
New
Austria

This is a joke!

DJI get your app sorted! This is absolutely not acceptable! So many iOS users have the same issues. Its your poor iOS coding, which makes your product really dangerous!
2021-9-21
Use props
djiuser_DeOCrZe4IrjX
New

United Kingdom

DJI Paladin Posted at 7-24 19:37

Hi This is a software issue my OM 4 dims my IPhone 12 Pro Max as well! this needs a software update to stop overheating of the screens!!!
2021-10-18
Use props
PavelD
lvl.2

United States

I have the same problem on an iPhone 12 mini. The smartphone overheats, I have to carefully return the drone back. I never switched on charging from the remote control, because I did not want to discharge the remote control. I tried to remove the cover, it did not help. I use the original cable from the kit. In any case, I see no reason why replacing the cable or disconnecting the charging or removing the case from the phone should fix a bug in the program. Why aren't the developers tackling this problem?
2021-10-19
Use props
djiuser_XddVxk7ciXhh
lvl.1
Flight distance : 127316 ft
Australia

DEAR DJI,,,

Are you actually listening???

I have the same issue on a Mini 2. Screen dims after 5-10 minutes.

Tried Absolutely Everything, so don’t come at me with any advice. I have disabled EVERY SETTING, auto brightness, remove case, stand in shade, disabled auto charging etc.

Screen dims on brand new iPhone 13 Pro Max and my spare XS Max.
The issue is within your app. I was going to purchase a Air 2S but that is definitely on hold until DJI address this issue within the DJI FLY APP.

PLEASE LISTEN TO YOUR CONSUMERS AND FAN BASE.
WITHOUT US YOU LOSE YOUR CREDIBILITY.

PLEASE FIX YOUR APP!!!

Are you listening???
2021-10-19
Use props
djiuser_XknG02k3jxE7
New

United States

My Mini 2 overheated my iPhone 12 Pro Max on May 15, 2022.   Screen dimmed, then said it overheated.  Screen went blank.  Firmware is up to date.  I have the latest firmware.  Luckily, the Mini 2 was only 20 feet high and hovering.  I was able to fly it back by using line of  site.  What is the solution.  Ambient temp was only 80 degrees F.
2022-5-15
Use props
djiuser_uvoHpCNpBWJL
New

Slovenia

Same issue here, from the day I bought the drone. iPhone 13 Pro, charging disabled, everything up to date, everything original, the screen dims every time. I’m seriously considering buying a spare Android device just for this, which is a pity though. Otherwise, I am stunned by the capabilities of this thingy, really impressive, except for this issue.
2022-5-21
Use props
EnglishSicilian
lvl.1

Thailand

I can’t believe it’s now June 2022 and this issue still hasn’t been fixed. Literally unusable drones everywhere.  
brought mine traveling with me on a trip, and cannot use it, at all, anywhere more than 5/8mins. Noticed the advisor who was responding to this is no longer responding either.
Disgusting really.
2022-6-13
Use props
djiuser_t7rzmMNQXxP5
lvl.1
Flight distance : 624163 ft
Turks and Caicos Islands

I been watching videos how to solve this issue and the only thing was putting ice packs behind the phone. Currently using iPhone 12 Pro Max and while on vacation on a beach I could only fly for 10 minutes or maybe less.  I started experiencing screen dimming till the point could barely see my screen. Can you guys push an update to fix this issue please
2022-6-14
Use props
djiuser_bcrSSj3InkyD
lvl.1
Flight distance : 297028 ft
United States

It's shocking to realize that we are already in mid 2022 and people are having the same issue.

I've tried troubleshooting this with 2 different Mavic Air 2 (MA2) and 3 different iPhones (iPhone 7, 8 and X). It keeps happening every time I fly. As soon as I open DJI FLY the phone starts getting warm. Eventually I get the screen saying : "Mobile device CPU fully loaded. Related Performance will be affected". Next the screen dims and you can barely see what's going on. A delay starts on every command you give the aircraft on the video, however the actual drone turns, goes up, down, etc. but on your screen everything is delayed or frozen. At some point the phone gets very hot, the screen completely freezes.

Fortunately, the drone was within line of site and I was able to control the panic and to bring it back and land it. It happens EVERY TIME I FLY. i CAN'T ENJOY THE FLIGHT.

I've spent countless hours trying to reason with the technicians at DJI. They seem to be clueless. They follow a script on a screen. They completely disregard what you are telling them, don't use any logic or understand anything about the drone or the phone. It was almost funny that he kept asking me to reinstall the DJI FLY app even after I reminded him it was happening on all 3 iPhones. I even went as far as doing a DFU on the iPhone 7 and not installing anything else other than DJI FLY.

At some point to offer you to send it back so their "Engineers" can take a look at the problem. The problem is not the drone, IT'S THE SOFTWARE DJI FLY.

As of now I've tried to follow all the suggestions I can find on the internet:

As of now I’ve tried the following:
•        Made sure I have the latest firmware and software updates on both the Mavic and the iPhone. Uninstalled and Reinstalled the DJI FLY app.
•        Disabled on the iPhones the Auto Brightness
•        Disabled on the iPhones the “Reduce White Point” setting.
•        Disabled the iPhone charging when connected to the controller
•        Disabled the caches.
•        Removed the iPhone from its case.
•        Have always flown while standing in the shade (never under the sun).
•        Completely erased one of the iPhones and performed a DFU Restore. After installed only DJI FLY. No other apps are running.
•        Made sure the lightning cable was properly plugged in and that there is no lint in the socket.

It's sad to realize that a company with such a good reputation doesn't have a level 2 support. It's also sad to realize they don't want to acknowledge there is a problem making us all waste our time troubleshooting, returning the drone and controller and testing again. They don't even let you reach them by phone. I was lucky and found the phone number posted by someone who was having the same issue. Noting has worked so far. I'm returning the drone back to Amazon before my 30 days expire. This is the 2nd MA2 drone I return back to Amazon. I'm very frustrated.

DJI Fly version 1.6.6(645)
iOS 15.5
06/19/2022
2022-6-19
Use props
djiuser_2xs6jA7Oh3kR
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4541375 ft
United States

I've found its not the drone nore is it the controller causing the overheating issue on iPhones. Its the app itself..  Ive also compared the dji fly app with litchi app. Needles to say the litchi app causes no heating. There was no flying during my test and in fact I never even connected the controller. The dji "app" only causes my iPhone 13 pro to heat up period. I hope this helps the developers because this is crazy that a third party app runs better that the manufacturers suggested app
2022-7-6
Use props
djiuser_Hj8nihfUWrz8
lvl.1

United States

Same issue here. iPhone 12 Pro Max. No case, charging off. I even turned off cache recording to my phone. Still dims screen and eventually goes into iPhone needs to cool down mode. Extremely dangerous but you should always have eyes on your drone anyway, it’s literally the Law. It’s called line of sight. I’ve never had a near-crash experience, however it’s extremely annoying to have my phone shut down because you refuse to fix the issue with the app
2022-8-7
Use props
djiuser_L5bLevMSywRT
New

Germany

The same problems with the DJI Mimo App!!!!
2023-9-18
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

djiuser_L5bLevMSywRT Posted at 9-18 08:49
The same problems with the DJI Mimo App!!!!

Hi there. sorry about the trouble. May I know from what phone this issue occurs? Thank you.
2023-9-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules