Differences in distance measurements
633 8 2021-7-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_nO2RdSW5BSUg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80646017 ft
Poland

I noticed differences when comparing the distance from the homepoint in one flight. The app will show you the longest distance in real time. The flight report in DJIfly will be shorter, as will the credits in the movie. But here too there will be differences from the flight report. The biggest difference I noticed was 35m. Someone will say: it's not much. Yes, but where does it come from when the data comes from GPS position calculations? Time differences? Not really, because I started from point A, got to point B and stopped. Then I compared the data and the differences came out.
2021-7-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I've read your post twice but can't understand which different numbers you are trying to describe.
Can you show screenshots to show what you mean?
2021-7-26
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm with Labroides, can you be more specific about the data points you are referencing?
2021-7-26
Use props
djiuser_nO2RdSW5BSUg
lvl.4
Poland

Sorry for the poor description. I use Google translator. Maybe let's try again. I am doing a straight line flight from A to B. On the smartphone screen, I can see the distance from homepoint = X. I am happy with the result. Then I check the flight report and see that in point B there is less, e.g. X - ... 30 ... m. On the recorded video on the SD card, I can see another result in the subtitles, e.g. X - 25m. Why is it like that?
2021-7-26
Use props
MySky
lvl.4
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

It looks like a imperial to metric or vice versa conversion / calculation precision issue, depending on how many digits are used for the internal decimal places.
2021-7-27
Use props
djiuser_nO2RdSW5BSUg
lvl.4
Poland

It makes sense. Sounds convincing. I checked that the differences in measurements increase with distance. As if the decimal places were shortened. I'll switch to imperial and compare the data. Thanks for your concept.
2021-7-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_nO2RdSW5BSUg Posted at 7-26 04:35
Sorry for the poor description. I use Google translator. Maybe let's try again. I am doing a straight line flight from A to B. On the smartphone screen, I can see the distance from homepoint = X. I am happy with the result. Then I check the flight report and see that in point B there is less, e.g. X - ... 30 ... m. On the recorded video on the SD card, I can see another result in the subtitles, e.g. X - 25m. Why is it like that?

On the smartphone screen, I can see the distance from homepoint = X.
Then I check the flight report and see that in point B there is less, e.g. X - ... 30 ... m.

The numbers should be exactly the same as they come from the same source.
I would have to suspect you aren't looking at it properly.
The app is recording many different parameters 10 times per second.
How can you be sure you are comparing the same numbers.
2021-7-27
Use props
djiuser_nO2RdSW5BSUg
lvl.4
Poland

As I wrote: I am starting from point A, so I have 0. I fly to point B in a straight line and hover in the air for a few seconds. I have an equal result in meters = x, visible on the screen in meters. Then I land the drone or go back. I compare the data at home and in the screenshot and confirm what my eyes saw. Then I open the flight record in the Djifly application and I see that at the end of point B, I do not have = x, but x-y. Then I open the flight record in airdata and I can see that it was x-z after all. It actually looks like decimal rounding when converting.
2021-7-27
Use props
djiuser_nO2RdSW5BSUg
lvl.4
Poland

I performed tests to confirm colleague MySky assumptions. After switching to imperial, the distance was in ft. I made a flight of 10000ft and stopped in the air. I recorded everything. At home, I checked the flight report, which was already converted into meters. The result was 3042m. This is 6m less than from the ft to m conversion. Summing up, it must be agreed that the reason for the differences is shortening the digits after the decimal point, which is a rather normal situation.
2021-7-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules