908 15 2021-7-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
powolny-marcel
lvl.2
Flight distance : 302185 ft
Belgium

Hello,

I am surprised that there is no thread about a SDK for the DJI fpv drone. Do you think DJI will release one someday ?
I have noticed that they are "very" slow at releasing sdk lately, maybe their goal is to stop releasing sdk ?

This is maybe a reason why I will switch to the Parrot Anafi AI as they will release a sdk with their new upcoming drone.

Too bad DJI is not communicating much with the community and make clear statements on what is coming or not

This post is not a post to blame the developers or DJI, I just want to know if they will release a SDK or not , just to know if I can sell my Drone now or not :p

@dji, any details ?

2021-7-27
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI has definitely slowed the pace of releasing SDKs.  Still haven't seen one for the Mini 2.

2021-7-27
Use props
powolny-marcel
lvl.2
Belgium

It would have been nice to get an official statement about this. What they will release or not, they are valued so many billions, wonder if they will invest some in the SDKs. It's all a question of "Do my competitors do it..."
2021-7-27
Use props
KerryG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11736709 ft
  • >>>
United States

There is very little ROI to spend the resources to develop the SDK for the low-end consumer drones or the FPV.
2021-7-27
Use props
powolny-marcel
lvl.2
Belgium

KerryG Posted at 7-27 06:25
There is very little ROI to spend the resources to develop the SDK for the low-end consumer drones or the FPV.

that must be true ;)
2021-7-27
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Maybe I’m a bit short sighted, but I don’t see the value in an SDK for the FPV drone. The whole idea behind FPV is the flight experience.  Why would you want to automate that with some 3rd party software?
2021-7-27
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 7-27 03:56
DJI has definitely slowed the pace of releasing SDKs.  Still haven't seen one for the Mini 2.

I wouldn’t say they’ve slowed down SDK rollouts, they just accelerated the number of low end drones they’ve released.  You should look back at how long it took them to release an SDK for the Spark a few years back.

Low end drones hold little value for DJI for the SDKs.  For them it makes way more sense to put their resources on the high end drones where 3rd party software support is 100% required.  For the low end drones, Litchi (etc) are mostly just toy features.  

In fact, DJI just proved this a couple of hours ago with their latest SDK release that contains support for the Zenmuse L1/P1.  

https://developer.dji.com/mobile-sdk/downloads
2021-7-27
Use props
KerryG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11736709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Why would you want an SDK for the FPV drone? It would be poor for mapping as it only has a 1 axis gimbal and can't point straight down. The Anafi is nowhere near the same type of aircraft.
2021-7-27
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there powolny-marcel. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have shared with us. For SDK issue and inquiries, it is recommended to contact our DJI development team at dev@dji.com . The team will be able to assists and help you with regards to this matter. Thank you.
2021-7-27
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You can post an issue on the sdk GitHub site - https://github.com/dji-sdk/Mobile-SDK-iOS/issues
2021-7-27
Use props
powolny-marcel
lvl.2
Belgium

Ok thanks, found an answer

Sorry that the DJI FPV will not be supported by the SDK.

2021-7-27
Use props
powolny-marcel
lvl.2
Belgium

KlooGee Posted at 7-27 08:35
I wouldn’t say they’ve slowed down SDK rollouts, they just accelerated the number of low end drones they’ve released.  You should look back at how long it took them to release an SDK for the Spark a few years back.

Low end drones hold little value for DJI for the SDKs.  For them it makes way more sense to put their resources on the high end drones where 3rd party software support is 100% required.  For the low end drones, Litchi (etc) are mostly just toy features.  

Thanks for all those details ;)

A sdk in my understanding would lift some limitations I guess ? Or am I wrong ?
2021-7-28
Use props
djiuser_1bR8m9Ekt1Ql
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1423720 ft
Brazil

De uma coisa eu sei , foi liberado o SDK para o mini 1 porque não liberar para o mini 2 e junto tem para fazer lives no YouTube,  a imersão do FPV realmente é o que dá mais gosto de voar.
2021-7-28
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

powolny-marcel Posted at 7-28 02:25
Thanks for all those details ;)

A sdk in my understanding would lift some limitations I guess ? Or am I wrong ?

Yes and no.  It gives 3rd party companies the ability to build apps that interact with a device, but it depends on how the SDK is created and how much access they give in the SDK.  

In the case of the FPV drone, remember that you really don't even use your phone for interacting with the drone.  That is pretty much all powered by the goggles, not the phone.  Think about DJI Fly.  You really can't use it for much of anything other than to view the video feed.  Because of the way the FPV system is designed, I don't think an SDK would ever even be considered.  But I've been wrong before.  Just ask my wife!  
2021-7-29
Use props
powolny-marcel
lvl.2
Belgium

KlooGee Posted at 7-29 13:03
Yes and no.  It gives 3rd party companies the ability to build apps that interact with a device, but it depends on how the SDK is created and how much access they give in the SDK.  

In the case of the FPV drone, remember that you really don't even use your phone for interacting with the drone.  That is pretty much all powered by the goggles, not the phone.  Think about DJI Fly.  You really can't use it for much of anything other than to view the video feed.  Because of the way the FPV system is designed, I don't think an SDK would ever even be considered.  But I've been wrong before.  Just ask my wife!

We all have the same Wife, I'm in Belgium and got the same  

What you say make sense ;) You might be right this time ;)

It's all a question of "how much access they give in the SDK"...

2021-7-29
Use props
Dakilla
lvl.3
France

no news of sdk or announced release date for the dji fpv ?

It would be nice for a bunch of app ideas :
- video streaming output on mobile
- video input of desktop PC screen to play HD with any 3rd party simulators
- 3rd party dedicated DJI PFV 3D simulators or 3D tools better tha dji virtual flight
- augmented reality (a bit like the actual rth point) with virtual gates and doors to simulate races or freestyle waypoint on an real outdoor spot. idea is to use the mobile phone as 3D engine that overlays 3D gates on goggles as an overlay video stream.
- gps tools
2022-1-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules