How to stop charging from RC on android?
123Next >
23518 97 2021-7-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fand0
lvl.1
Flight distance : 334715 ft
Ukraine

I have DJI mini 2 and Oneplus 8T, I do not want to root my device.

Please add possibility to turn on/off charging, because when outside we have +35 Celsium degrees (it is very hot!) my phone will decrease screen brightness to 0% due to everheating (I can not see where is my mini2) and next step - will stop all apps due to overheating issue including DJI fly fu**ing app.

Guys, without this option you shooting in your leg, I will never buy again next dron from DJI according to such stupid RC behavior.

I do not want to change my android phone to iPhone because of one app and also do not want to buy one more device (for root and installing Disable Battery Charging app) especiality for one application DJI.
2021-7-27
Use props
djiuser_nO2RdSW5BSUg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80646017 ft
Poland

Regardless of what others write here, I will answer: yes, it's possible, but in terms of hardware. Programmatically at the moment it is not possible. Do you own a soldering iron? Would you like to know how to do it?
2021-7-27
Use props
fand0
lvl.1
Ukraine

djiuser_nO2RdSW5BSUg Posted at 7-27 04:40
Regardless of what others write here, I will answer: yes, it's possible, but in terms of hardware. Programmatically at the moment it is not possible. Do you own a soldering iron? Would you like to know how to do it?
I am sure for 100% that on previous dji fly app build it was better.
And I suppose it could be easily turned off from software.
Stupid, spend 600$ for dron and see such awful behavior.

Yes I have soldering iron, tell me how can I fix it?
2021-7-27
Use props
Mavic57pro2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fand0 Posted at 7-27 05:38

You need to search this in the forum, there are many threads and many not possible solutions. The android operating ststem always charges from whatever is connected to its usb port, unless rooted. If you root your phone your banking apps may decide your phone is no longer safe and may no longer work, I tried it years ago. YOU cannot cut the positive or negative wire its needed to communicate with the two data wires between phone and controller. The best solution is charge your phone to 100% before you connect the controller, this minimises the current drain from the controller. Enjoy all the threads on this forum about Android charging phone, its been talked about since 2017 ! Good luck.
2021-7-27
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

35 C is the problem. Try keeping your phone in the shade out of direct sunlight.
2021-7-27
Use props
djiuser_nO2RdSW5BSUg
lvl.4
Poland

The solution is simple and does not interfere with DJI hardware. You need to convert a USB otg cable and insert a blocking diode from the smartphone side in the + 5V power path. In most cases, this will work and reduce the charging current to a few or a dozen milliamperes. It does not interfere with data transfer, and DJIFly will start. That's all. If you want to charge the phone - you will replace the cable with the original one. In practice, the phone will slowly discharge on this cable, and the RC will work for up to 8 hours. It works great for me. Here's a video on how to do it. Good luck!
2021-7-27
Use props
fand0
lvl.1
Ukraine

If I am not mistaken Iphone`s users have the same issue now?
2021-7-27
Use props
hunterws
lvl.4
Flight distance : 382536 ft
United States

fand0 Posted at 7-27 08:44

iphones are now programmed to have the option to not charge, as it was causing issues.
android phones ... go pound sand.
still no stable app for android, but I have a nice paperweight
2021-7-27
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

fand0 Posted at 7-27 08:44

DJI in their infinite wisdom took away the option for users to choose whether to charge their phone or not a few versions of DJI Fly ago and made it always charge like Android.  After lots of outrage, DJI finally added the option back into one of the recent versions that they never should have taken away in the first place.

So as of now, this is only an Android issue.
2021-7-27
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

KlooGee Posted at 7-27 09:59
DJI in their infinite wisdom took away the option for users to choose whether to charge their phone or not a few versions of DJI Fly ago and made it always charge like Android.  After lots of outrage, DJI finally added the option back into one of the recent versions that they never should have taken away in the first place.

So as of now, this is only an Android issue.

Wasn't that infinite wisdom an attempt to stop Android users complaining, because it's just as bad with IOS?
2021-7-27
Use props
Pajomota
lvl.4
Flight distance : 710197 ft
  • >>>
Portugal

fand0 Posted at 7-27 05:38

This last version 1.4.8 is garbage.
2021-7-27
Use props
BWJ
lvl.4

Denmark

Simply uncheck "charging" in USB configuration on Android phone, but maybe its too easy ?
2021-7-27
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
United States

BWJ Posted at 7-27 12:19
Simply uncheck "charging" in USB configuration on Android phone, but maybe its too easy ?

Exactly where would this switch be? I have a S21 Ultra, Android 11. It ain't on mine!!
2021-7-27
Use props
BWJ
lvl.4

Denmark

Mobilehomer Posted at 7-27 12:37
Exactly where would this switch be? I have a S21 Ultra, Android 11. It ain't on mine!!

2021-7-27
Use props
BWJ
lvl.4

Denmark

Or
I have Sony and it is a little diff.
2021-7-27
Use props
djiuser_nO2RdSW5BSUg
lvl.4
Poland

The power-off trick doesn't work on the USB OTG cable. A small autopsy note to the cable with a diode: the cable will not work properly when the phone is 100% charged.
2021-7-27
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
United States

Nope, it still charges regardless of setting.
2021-7-27
Use props
fand0
lvl.1
Ukraine

BWJ Posted at 7-27 13:22
Or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZjfgox-Cm0&ab_channel=ITJungles.
I have Sony and it is a little diff.

I have tried such workarounds, still no success.
2021-7-27
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I, a retired EE, have attempted to find a solution by modifying the cable, but it is not possible. Once the current into the phone drops even slightly, the comm port is turned off by the phone. The remote control, or any other attached device, MUST power the Android phones comm port.
2021-7-27
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there fand0. Good day and I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. The reason why your Android mobile device is discharging your DJI Pocket 2. This is because the Android mobile device needs on-going 500ma to maintain the USB connection, so there is no option for the Android device to disable the charging mode, it is related to the android system and the communication protocol. This is regulated by the Android Open Accessory ( AOA ). Thank you.
2021-7-27
Use props
djiuser_nO2RdSW5BSUg
lvl.4
Poland

GaryDoug Posted at 7-27 14:56
I, a retired EE, have attempted to find a solution by modifying the cable, but it is not possible. Once the current into the phone drops even slightly, the comm port is turned off by the phone. The remote control, or any other attached device, MUST power the Android phones comm port.

With all due respect to my esteemed colleague. Please watch the video from the attached link above. I can confirm that the solution works on LG V50, but until the phone is fully charged. The trick to this solution is that 500mA is just a standard. In fact, in my case it was just over 200mA. After mounting the diode (in another video they used a 10 ohm resistor), the current dropped to 14mA. The phone signaled that it was charging, but in fact its power consumption was causing it to discharge slowly.
2021-7-27
Use props
Mavic57pro2
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cancelled comment.
2021-7-28
Use props
fand0
lvl.1
Ukraine

DJI Stephen Posted at 7-27 19:00
Hello there fand0. Good day and I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. The reason why your Android mobile device is discharging your DJI Pocket 2. This is because the Android mobile device needs on-going 500ma to maintain the USB connection, so there is no option for the Android device to disable the charging mode, it is related to the android system and the communication protocol. This is regulated by the Android Open Accessory ( AOA ). Thank you.

Very sad news, thank you!

Probably will take some xiaomi phone for 100$, unlock bootloader, root it and install Battery Charge Limit or something similar and it will be phone for DJI FLy app.
2021-7-28
Use props
videoeditman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

fand0 Posted at 7-28 12:06

Probably will take some xiaomi phone for 100$, unlock bootloader, root it and install Battery Charge Limit or something similar and it will be phone for DJI FLy app.

Just make sure said device is compatible as many phones do not work with DJI fly App.
2021-7-28
Use props
Stu.Baby
lvl.4
Flight distance : 52218 ft
United Kingdom

When I first bought my Mini 2, I was fretting about this constant charging of Android phones before I'd even taken off. But since then, I've found that it doesn't bother me at all. I don't notice a huge drain on the RC. This is with a Xioami mi9 and Pixel 4a 5G.

In fact, if I fly with my iPhone 7 Plus, I select the charging option. This phone's battery will drain long before the RC's.
2021-7-28
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 7-27 19:00
Hello there fand0. Good day and I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. The reason why your Android mobile device is discharging your DJI Pocket 2. This is because the Android mobile device needs on-going 500ma to maintain the USB connection, so there is no option for the Android device to disable the charging mode, it is related to the android system and the communication protocol. This is regulated by the Android Open Accessory ( AOA ). Thank you.

Did you mean Mini 2?
If that is so, why does this not occur on the P4P controller and my android devices?
2021-7-28
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_nO2RdSW5BSUg Posted at 7-27 20:15
With all due respect to my esteemed colleague. Please watch the video from the attached link above. I can confirm that the solution works on LG V50, but until the phone is fully charged. The trick to this solution is that 500mA is just a standard. In fact, in my case it was just over 200mA. After mounting the diode (in another video they used a 10 ohm resistor), the current dropped to 14mA. The phone signaled that it was charging, but in fact its power consumption was causing it to discharge slowly.

You are right about one thing, the current required to power the comm port varies from one device to another. But as you have proven, it is still there. And it cannot be eliminated. I believe that 500ma is specified as worst case. My phone draws about 100 ma, but my tablet draws about 40 ma.
2021-7-28
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Even at 500ma  running for a constant 6hrs, isnt that only about 3wh, not clever with maths so I could be way off...

I have to ask though, what is the issue having the controller top up the battery, at 500ma, there is no way that will heat up the battery, its just not enough.
Its not even slow charging, its slower charging lol, actually, apologies, I am referring to newer Samsungs, yours may be happy at 500ma, I know with mine, it wouldn't
even tickle it.

Just looked up yours and its 10V/6.5A 65w, so that's 6500ma, so your 500ma from the controller ain't gonna tickle it so ya can scrub that idea..

OP, Have you tried this at home, inside, connecting the phone to the controller (turned on) and running the app, no need for the AC, its just to test to see how
the phone acts, I think you will find that your primary issue is the 35º and the sunlight on the phone. Most phones have an operating range with the top end actually
being 35º. So its not the charging perse that's causing the over-heating, using the phone in extreme temps for the phones

As a side note, have you
turned off the auto-brightness?
turned off the Auto optimise?
turned off the Adaptive power saving?
closed all other apps running in the background?

And back to the 35º not good chap, not good at all THIS IS FROM ONEPLUS that's the full bumph on overheating, they say 35º is tops and being in the sunlight you're prob looking at more like 45º+. Therefore, it's not the controller that's the issue.....

1. Unsuitable environment
The phone should generally be in temperatures from 0°C to 35°C. Excessively high or low temperatures will affect phone operation, result in overheating or charging failure, and potentially even cause phone and battery damage. Avoid using the phone in high-temperature environments for extended periods of time, especially in summer. In high-temperature outdoor environments, the phone may be unable to properly cool itself and overheat as a result.

2021-7-28
Use props
djiuser_nO2RdSW5BSUg
lvl.4
Poland

GaryDoug Posted at 7-28 18:52
You are right about one thing, the current required to power the comm port varies from one device to another. But as you have proven, it is still there. And it cannot be eliminated. I believe that 500ma is specified as worst case. My phone draws about 100 ma, but my tablet draws about 40 ma.

Do you only agree with this? The best way to get to the truth is empirical. Do as in the movie and the truth will defend itself.
2021-7-28
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

fand0 Posted at 7-28 12:06

Hi there fand0. Thank you for the reply and for sharing these additional information with us. If you have any other inquires or concerns with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. Have a safe and a happy flying always.
2021-7-29
Use props
DubSound
lvl.4
Flight distance : 104459 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

"I will never buy again next dron from DJI according to such stupid RC behavior" Bye then!
2021-8-4
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
United States

DubSound Posted at 8-4 09:26
"I will never buy again next dron from DJI according to such stupid RC behavior" Bye then!

DJI has zero control over the sun. 90 degrees F and direct sun will overheat and shut down most electronics. Don't blame DJI for this one!
2021-8-4
Use props
Mavic57pro2
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DubSound Posted at 8-4 09:26

Bye bye...
2021-8-4
Use props
BWJ
lvl.4

Denmark

2021-8-9
Use props
fand0
lvl.1
Ukraine

BWJ Posted at 8-9 10:52
[view_image]

What is the application version?
2021-8-9
Use props
BWJ
lvl.4

Denmark

fand0 Posted at 8-9 11:38
What is the application version?

1.3.0 and absolutely the best ever.
2021-8-13
Use props
djiuser_scZn9pZhzAKE
New

United States

I'm returning my Mini 2 to Amazon. It overheats my Android Pixel phone after 20 mins. Both my car and phone said 89 degrees F, and I was in the shade. I've never had this phone overheat. This was my first and last drone,..thanks for the giant headache!
2021-9-4
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_scZn9pZhzAKE Posted at 9-4 18:56
I'm returning my Mini 2 to Amazon. It overheats my Android Pixel phone after 20 mins. Both my car and phone said 89 degrees F, and I was in the shade. I've never had this phone overheat. This was my first and last drone,..thanks for the giant headache!

SO, flying in 90º heat is DJ's fault cause your phone overheated?
2021-9-5
Use props
djiuser_kcu7htWLCNFr
New

United States

This is the solution.
Yes, OTG connection requires 500ma of power to transmit data, but the power doesn't need to come from the controller, if you cut the power wires on the USB cable and connect a female micro USB to it, now connect a 5v standard battery pack with a standard Micro USB charging cable. This way you won't discharge your control and you will allow data transfer between the controller and the phone/tablet. Good luck.
2021-9-29
Use props
UKMoose
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3657552 ft
United Kingdom

djiuser_nO2RdSW5BSUg Posted at 7-28 23:41
Do you only agree with this? The best way to get to the truth is empirical. Do as in the movie and the truth will defend itself.

Hi, I have the 1N4007 diodes arriving tomorrow to give it a try, however I have the original Mavic Pro and controller, have you tried your diode cable method with this setup?
2021-9-29
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules