Is it Possible to Disable the Downward/Lower Sensors on the Air 2S?
5027 10 2021-7-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ToneDrone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3383599 ft
Australia

Has anyone figured out a way to fully disable the downward/lower sensors on the Air 2S? I've tried hand catching in sport mode (which "supposedly" disables the sensors) but it will still pause on landing (which I do not want - I want to fully disable the sensors). One thing I have noticed is that, in sport mode, if i try to land it into my hand by pushing down on the controller and raising my hand up at the same time it will pause or resist (spin up super fast if i grab it too fast), but if I first bring the drone in close and hover it and then grab it, it won't spin up. It's like there's system logic in there that you can't fly down into something but if the drone is hovering and the controller isn't engaged, then you can grab it quickly without the drone spinning/raising up. This is only helpful when I am stationary on the ground, but this makes hand catching on a moving object (like a boat or vehicle) VERY difficult.

With my old Mavic Pro, using the DJI Go4 app, you can go into the app advanced settings and fully disable the downward/lower sensors. I always had this disabled for hand catching and it was amazing. It didn't "pause" during landing like some people have noted. If you weren't careful, you could actually do a hard landing on the ground. But this was VERY useful for hand catching on a boat or other moving object.

Please tell me if there's a way to fully disable the downward/lower sensors on the Air 2S. If not, hopefully DJI will strongly consider adding this setting in future DJI Fly app or firmware updates!
2021-7-27
Use props
FriedChicken_II
lvl.4
Flight distance : 721555 ft

Japan

apply some removable, residue less duct tape.
2021-7-27
Use props
FriedChicken_II
lvl.4

Japan

https://www.amazon.com/Residue-D ... Yards/dp/B0013AZ4W0

tape this on your downward facing sensor.

You can even tape this on those seams of your drone's body (especially the seam between the drone and the battery) and make it almost rain proof. A good technique to capture some storm shots. The drone itself is already pretty much weather resistant all you need is to enhance some of the weak spots. and luckily by experience you don't need to do anything to the gimbal and the camera.
2021-7-28
Use props
ToneDrone
lvl.2
United States

FriedChicken_II Posted at 7-27 23:59
apply some removable, residue less duct tape.

Thanks. I thought about doing that but wasn't sure if that would cause any issues in flight. Have you done this before?
2021-7-28
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there ToneDrone. Thank you for reaching out and for these information that you have given. I am sorry to say that it is not possible to disable the downward sensors of the DJI Air 2S for safety purposes. Thank you.
2021-7-28
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 7-28 01:29
Hello there ToneDrone. Thank you for reaching out and for these information that you have given. I am sorry to say that it is not possible to disable the downward sensors of the DJI Air 2S for safety purposes. Thank you.

You should give consideration to those of us that fly over water!!!
2021-7-28
Use props
ToneDrone
lvl.2
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 7-28 01:29

"...for safety purposes..." is quite an illogical excuse. When in sport mode, the drone can fly strait into someone at 40km/h. That would do MUCH more damage than lowering onto someone. And if it's really a safety concern, why wouldn't you disable that option for the Mavic Pros on the DJI Go4 app? I'm not seeing the logic here. Please re-consider. All of us who fly from moving objects will thank you!!!
2021-7-28
Use props
FriedChicken_II
lvl.4

Japan

ToneDrone Posted at 7-28 00:03
Thanks. I thought about doing that but wasn't sure if that would cause any issues in flight. Have you done this before?

Yes. But please fly with extreme caution. It's just like flying at night but without the auxiliary lights.
2021-7-28
Use props
Steve MartinUSA
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3300653 ft
United States

Yep, this is causing me issues as well.

I could depend on my Mavic Air 2 landing safely in my hand so I would do it regularly. This was quite a challenge from a boat, with wind and motion, but was still possible.

However, I have a very hard time landing the Air 2S in my hand in any situation. I can't imagine landing on a boat is even possible with the Air 2S.

I'm having a hard time understanding all of the hype of the Air 2S. The only thing I like so far is the better quality video, but the new focusing system puts that in jeopardy as well.
2022-6-9
Use props
DaveFales1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 914321 ft
United States

Steve MartinUSA Posted at 2022-6-9 16:14
Yep, this is causing me issues as well.

I could depend on my Mavic Air 2 landing safely in my hand so I would do it regularly. This was quite a challenge from a boat, with wind and motion, but was still possible.

I have exactly the same issue, while on a boat, trying to the land Air 2S by hovering at (8?)ft, and reaching up to grap the body, before pulling left stick back to depower.  
When I have attempted this underhanded grab,  the drone either bobs up a few feet , or, when grasped,  with me (wearing leather gloves and full face shield)  it squirms like like a demon until pulling left stick back fully to stop rotors after 3 exciting seconds.

(Note to DJI: I haved tried to user Emergency Instant Stop by pulling both sticks back to the 'start up' position. It did not work. Instead, the drone skittered away fast.)

Does SPORT mode disable the Vision system so one can land drone without hesitation?

2023-6-4
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DaveFales1 Posted at 6-4 04:39
(Note to DJI: I haved tried to user Emergency Instant Stop by pulling both sticks back to the 'start up' position. It did not work.Instead, the drone skittered away fast.)

Unless you had the "emergency motor stop" option set to "Anytime" or "Always" the CSC position worked as intended, it is your understanding of it that is probably flawed.

Whilst the drone is in flight or sensing-movement and the "emergency motor stop" option is set to "emergency only" a CSC will stop the drone's motors ONLY if the drone 'thinks' it has suffered an emergency, the precise definition "emergency" is unknown.
The drone MUST be relatively still for the CSC "emergency only" combination to stop the motors at you command.  ........ otherwise an inadvertent CSC in mid air could shut the motors down.

Setting the option to "always" or "Anytime" for normal flying is NOT recommended, the CSC will stop the drone.smotors after it has been held for around 1.7 seconds and that is too short a delay to be safe. Drones have been lost because of that.

If needs be, once the drone has been caught, try twisting the drone so that the propellers are vertical but I would suggest that that is kept for boat landings or other emergency situations, it must stress the drone quite a bit.
2023-6-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules