Do the sensors work in the circle mode?
679 5 2021-7-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hangman
New

United States

I was flying my Mavic 2 Pro drone over the lake last weekend.  While the baot was parked and the kids playing in the water, I had set the drone to just do circles around us.  As the drone was doing circles, it crashed into the trees.  I had thought that the sensors would stop the drone as it gets close to the trees, but it did not.  Do the sensors work to stop the drone while it is in circle mode?  In the video, you can hear that it beeps as it gets close to the trees but the music ont he boat was load so I couldn't hear the beeps and I was not manning the remote either.  So the sensors detected the trees but it did not stop the drone from flying into it.  Should it have?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLrSo8MuYvM
2021-7-28
Use props
Mr. Strat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4542854 ft
United States

Ya gotta pay attention to the aircraft.
2021-7-28
Use props
FriedChicken_II
lvl.4
Flight distance : 721555 ft

Japan

According to the manual
The side-way sensors, or Lateral Vision System of your drone
:
It works in circle mode.
It doesn't work, at least not work well with moving objects, including tree branches and people
It should be braking once if it sensed the obstacle.

So maybe it's just too late to brake because of reduced performance with detecting tree branches.
It looks like your drone didn't detect the tree until it's too late. The first beep sounded merely 1~2 seconds before the impact.
2021-7-28
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Hangman. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. The lateral vision system for the DJI Mavic 2 series drones requires better lighting and more textured or clearly marked obstacles, and cannot sense dynamic objects, such as moving people, vehicles, tree branches, or blinking lights. The lateral vision system are only available in some intelligent flight modes and tripod mode. The angular speed is limited to 24 degrees and the lateral flight speed is limited to 18 mph. In addition is you feel that your DJI Mavic 2 Pro is not working properly I would recommend for you to contact our DJI Support Team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance. We have a team that will do there best to help you and give out the best resolution for the said issue. Again, I am sorry and thank you.
2021-7-28
Use props
Porktree
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1118323 ft
  • >>>
United States

My experience is that the lateral vision sensors are garbage.  I'm not even sure if they'd stop you from hitting a building.  LOL @ dynamic objects "tree branches" - forward sensors are barely any better.  Best to rely on your eyes.  (I've climbed a few trees

2021-7-29
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Sensors can only help you out so much.
I would never trust my drone flying on sensors alone.
2021-8-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules