Flying in restricted space
3510 13 2021-7-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
marc70
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4762470 ft
Canada

There's restricted space in many areas around me (airports, helipads, jail). Anyways some dude told me if I accidentally fly into or near these restricted spaces,  the powers that be could take control over my Mini2 and land it in their possession. Anyone ever hear of this?I've been prevented from taking off close to rs, and I've actually flown over the US border. Some areas warned me on the phone app, other times nothing happened.
Thoughts?
2021-7-29
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Philippines

I always fly in authorization zones (I live in one, so I have a custom unlock) and basically when in flight the drone refuses to enter no fly zones. Also in some places I can take off but  have altitude restrictions applied based on my postion/proximity to the NFZs.

What I have read about (yet never personally encountered) is that if drone suddenly finds itself in a no fly zone during flight, it will initiate an immediate landing.

I guess that would be quite rare though as the drone either needs to get forcefully blown by a strong wind into a NFZ or you need to take off without proper GPS and fly it into a NFZ before it comes to it's senses...

2021-7-29
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

There are countermeasures available that an does this, DJI Scope (i think its called) is one of them
2021-7-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there marc70. Thank you for reaching out and for these information that you have give. When a DJI drone flies near a GEO Zone, a warning will pop up in the DJI application. Kindly please read these warnings carefully and react accordingly. Thank you.

2021-7-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Check the flysafe map,  if there are blue or red zones near you that you didnt unlock flying into them is like hitting an invisible wall,   the drone will stop and hover.
https://www.dji.com/uk/flysafe/geo-map

Also some airports have DJI Aeroscope so they will see your drones location as well as the remote location from take off.  They can also request from DJI youre details too from when the drone was activated.
2021-7-29
Use props
marc70
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4762470 ft
Canada

My question was: can the powers that be suddenly take control of my drone and land it where they wish?
2021-8-1
Use props
djiuser_J5V5ypeCRvOb
New
United States

No, the powers that be cannot take control of your drone and land where they wish.
2021-8-2
Use props
Railfan-Eric
lvl.2
Flight distance : 512782 ft
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 7-29 20:04
Hello there marc70. Thank you for reaching out and for these information that you have give. When a DJI drone flies near a GEO Zone, a warning will pop up in the DJI application. Kindly please read these warnings carefully and react accordingly. Thank you.

[view_image]

what happens if you're in a bad spot to land such as over water and it lands on it's own in the restricted air space?  Can you cancel the landing and move out of the air space?
2021-8-6
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Philippines

Railfan-Eric Posted at 8-6 19:37
what happens if you're in a bad spot to land such as over water and it lands on it's own in the restricted air space?  Can you cancel the landing and move out of the air space?

As far as I know, you cannot. This is what scares me the most... Half of the prohibited area I fly around here is above the ocean, as our local airport runway extends a significant amount towards the water, along with it's NFZ. From what I have gathered, the drone will just land regardless of what is below if it suddenly finds itself in a NFZ.
2021-8-6
Use props
Railfan-Eric
lvl.2
Flight distance : 512782 ft
United States

CemAygun Posted at 8-6 21:07
As far as I know, you cannot. This is what scares me the most... Half of the prohibited area I fly around here is above the ocean, as our local airport runway extends a significant amount towards the water, along with it's NFZ. From what I have gathered, the drone will just land regardless of what is below if it suddenly finds itself in a NFZ.

that's scary as freak.  I think there should be a better implantation of this.  such as fly outside of the restricted zone and hover till the owner can retrieve it from outside the circle at hopefully a high enough altitude so it doesn't hit trees or buildings.  
2021-8-7
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Philippines

Railfan-Eric Posted at 8-7 22:35
that's scary as freak.  I think there should be a better implantation of this.  such as fly outside of the restricted zone and hover till the owner can retrieve it from outside the circle at hopefully a high enough altitude so it doesn't hit trees or buildings.

As I said, it is very unlikely for a drone to suddenly find itself in an NFZ, but you are right, it is scary; especially when you deal with it every day.

I am sure they could implement a function for the craft to rush out of a NFZ at the closest point instead of landing; but I believe they are very strict about the term "no fly". Even flying out of the zone violates the "no fly" policy however brief that flight might be ...

2021-8-8
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

I was flying in a permission zone near an airport a few weeks ago. I flew a little closer to the no fly zone than i thought. The drone stopped and would go no further, warning popped up on screen. I turned it around and came back. No problem. Just pay attention to the warnings and location.
2021-8-8
Use props
djiuser_PbHClqGijkaT
lvl.2

United States

Railfan-Eric Posted at 2021-8-6 19:37

I would like to know also. I had permission in class d today only 1/10th of a mile and luckily I was in a open area to bring it down. Talk about getting my heart going.
2-3 17:06
Use props
2sticks
lvl.4
Flight distance : 131355 ft
United States

Download “Air Control” app and join. The app will provide you with all airspace restrictions. Through the app if available you can apply to LAANC for mission approval.  LAANC also has an app that you can apply for mission approval.
2-3 19:20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules