Strobe
912 12 2021-7-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Donut Michigan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42415 ft
United States

I see everyone placing there strobes on top of there drones and I'm guessing it's because of the strobe size.
I hated that. So I got a dual strobe (really small) and really bright.
I mount it on the bottom with a strip of Velcro between the rear doenward sencers and the rear indicator light.
It hangs just a little back  (not much) over the rear green statue light.
When I'm flying away from me at night it is really bright and easy to see because it's on the bottom.
The one I ever usind is from Firehouse and it's the dual. And on sale for $25 and it is a duke strobe. Smaller than a postage stamp.
I have bought a few and this is the best by far.
If you go to firehouse and go to the one /that shows the strobe on the bottom of the drone that's the one.
I am planning on bying another just for a backup and possibly and another drone.
Also it is seen from all 360 with no obstruction.
When it's up 100 feet you can actually see it flashing on the ground around you on a dark night.
CC960A1F-E3BC-4C10-832D-C1E213FEDD8C.jpeg
6624492C-EE72-452C-A59F-A648B83B5C40.jpeg
AAC70BAC-3BA6-4118-92E8-EBCC5B3E3128.jpeg
2021-7-30
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Looks like you've put that right on top of the GPS receiver.

2021-7-31
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm confused....I thought you said you mounted it on the bottom.  The images show it on top.
2021-7-31
Use props
Donut Michigan
lvl.4
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 7-31 04:06
I'm confused....I thought you said you mounted it on the bottom.  The images show it on top.

I have changed to a Firehouse dual light it is so much smaller and I brighter ands it’s smaller than a postage stamp. It’s mounted at the rear on the bottom just back from the bottom sensor sitting just a  little over the system status light and I can see it with no problem when flying.
Mounting it there it is visible when I’m flying out and away and is very visible 360 degrees.
Seeing I don’t fly into a valley and it’s always above it just makes sense to have it on the bottom rear.
It is so bright that when it is up 100+ feet you can actually see the strobe flashing on the ground around you. To me it just doesn’t make any sense mounting it on top of the the drone.
Right now the dual strobe is on sale for $25. And it is FAA approved and really bright.
Doug
2021-7-31
Use props
Donut Michigan
lvl.4
United States

I just ordered another Firehouse dual strobe for a back up. The strobe in the pictures above are not being used anymore.
I’ll take pictures of the new one and try to re edit the post.
2021-7-31
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I could be wrong on this point but I thought you are supposed to put the strobe on the top so that it can be more easily seen by aircraft.

from... https://pilotinstitute.com/drone-strobe-lights/

"The reason that the lights are supposed to go at the top of the drone is  so that they are visible to any manned aircraft flying overhead. They  are not primarily meant to make the drones visible to drone pilots. "

2021-7-31
Use props
Donut Michigan
lvl.4
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 7-31 19:03
I could be wrong on this point but I thought you are supposed to put the strobe on the top so that it can be more easily seen by aircraft.

I'm sure it can be seen from a long distance from the side and above as long as you are not directly above. Besides if I see or hear a plane it will be getting out of the way.
2021-7-31
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

IM confused, on their site it says 90 battery, yet further down it says 3hrs lol
Also, these look strikingly similar to the Cree Strobon products (UK)

They also do a single strobe specifically for the mini's (UK)

I already have a white single cree strobe from Flytron, they are bright but I lost it at about 400ft in a partly cloudy sky, this was mounted to the back of a leg,
the downside to being there is that its only really viewable when moving at an angle, so I need to rethink it, will prob get the motor mount velcro pads and get a 2nd one (red)
2021-7-31
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Donut Michigan Posted at 7-31 19:34
I'm sure it can be seen from a long distance from the side and above as long as you are not directly above. Besides if I see or hear a plane it will be getting out of the way.

sounds like you are more interested in lighting up the ground than anything else.

but you're right, no plane or helicopter is going to dodge your mini drone because they see your tiny strobe light flashing at low altitude from the side.  that's ridiculous.

all i can say is don't get too carried away with the strobes.  the night fad lasts a week or two...and then you're out of money.
2021-7-31
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 7-31 20:04
IM confused, on their site it says 90 battery, yet further down it says 3hrs lol
Also, these look strikingly similar to the Cree Strobon products (UK)

Had, i say HAD a white strobe, just gone to charge it up and it looks like ive perhaps dropped it at my last flight site yesterday, gutted, had that 3 years, I use it for the 1st time in about 2 years and lose it
2021-7-31
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Donut Michigan Posted at 7-31 10:03
I just ordered another Firehouse dual strobe for a back up. The strobe in the pictures above are not being used anymore.
I’ll take pictures of the new one and try to re edit the post.

Pictures with strobe on bottom will definitely be a good thing.

I see everyone placing there strobes on top of there drones and I'm guessing it's because of the strobe size.   This is so manned aircraft above can see your drone.

Fly safely.  
2021-8-1
Use props
djiuser_oQKEvZiGY0mN
lvl.2
Flight distance : 482 ft
United States

I installed two Firehouse dual strobes on my Mini 2. A white one on top as far forward as it would fit, where the top starts to curve down so it is very visible when coming towards you. The other is a dual red and mounted in the rear on the battery cover.

I am very pleased with them. I'm in Arizona and days can be brutally bright so its easy to lose sight of the Mini 2 at times. With the strobes that is not an issue.

My only wish would be that rather than the plastic shrink wrap covering Firehouse could somehow enclose them in a clear resin material or something to better protect them. The 5 light version in the plastic housing is nice but too darn big for the Mini drones.
2021-8-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Looks cool!
2021-8-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now