Spark Compass Issue Mid-flight + Water crash (recovered)
702 3 2021-8-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jjcannon
lvl.1
United States

I had an issue this weekend when firing up my Spark for a flight.  After pre-flight calibration and all green from GPS/flight standpoint, I sent the drone out for a flight over the lake at our cabin.  While a few hundred feet away, I started getting all kinds of compass / IMU issues.  I immediately attempted to get the drone back safely, but all of the controls were sending it in wrong/different directions.  It hit a few trees near the shore and ended up in a foot of water, about 8 inches from shore (of course).  It was in the water for no more than a minute, but afraid that it's fried and not sure what to do with it.  I am hesitant to power it up and don't want to take it apart.
Super frustrating that it went brain-dead with no obstacles anywhere nearby and the flight log on my iphone suggest the same thing.  Letting the controller go dead to just hover did not work while trying to get it back safely.  I've flown this Spark and my Mavic Pro on this route 50 times - so defintely not any sort of environmental issue.  

Any thoughts on a next step to take and if this is something that DJI covers?  I don't know what I would have done any differently to avoid this.

Thanks in advance!
2021-8-2
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there steven.h. I am sorry to read and to know what happened to your DJI Mini 2. Since this unfortunate event is happening I would recommend you to contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance. We have a team that will do there best to help, check what happened to the said drone and will give out the best resolution for this issue. Again I am sorry for the trouble and thank you.
2021-8-2
Use props
0Stephan
lvl.2
Flight distance : 451631 ft
United States

Contact DJI and they can most likely replace it for free if they can determine that it was not pilot error. My Spark fell into 30 foot deep salt water in the Gulf of Mexico. With the flight data on my phone, they were able to see what happened, and sent me a new Spark, which will be delivered in a few days. In my case the drone was not recoverable, but I doubt that that will change the outcome. What may change it though is the time since you bought it (mine was bought less than a year ago), maybe the default 1 year warranty is useful for non-pilot-induced damage, and the Care Refresh thing is for damage caused by the pilot's actions.
2021-8-2
Use props
jjcannon
lvl.1
United States

0Stephan Posted at 8-2 18:43
Contact DJI and they can most likely replace it for free if they can determine that it was not pilot error. My Spark fell into 30 foot deep salt water in the Gulf of Mexico. With the flight data on my phone, they were able to see what happened, and sent me a new Spark, which will be delivered in a few days. In my case the drone was not recoverable, but I doubt that that will change the outcome. What may change it though is the time since you bought it (mine was bought less than a year ago), maybe the default 1 year warranty is useful for non-pilot-induced damage, and the Care Refresh thing is for damage caused by the pilot's actions.

Hi, Stephan.  Thanks for the insight into your situation.  I will give it a try, for sure!
2021-8-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules