Mini 2 Unuseable - 24 Batteries of TS - Still Not Working
3830 31 2021-8-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
asylum23
lvl.1
Flight distance : 391752 ft
United States

My Mini 2 I have had for 2 months.  No problems at all until last update to 1.4.8.

I uninstalled and then installed 1.4.4.  I have done this now FOUR times.  The exact same issue still happens.  While in the air, doesn't matter if moving, taking photos, video, just sitting...screen freezes for a quick second, black screen, and then 1 of many options:  it will go to my phone's desktop;  it will just sit on black screen;  Fly app will return;  I'll have to force close Fly app;  or I'll have to totally unplug and replug phone in.

Now I've installed 1.4.2.

Here is the troubleshooting I have done, besides the three builds of the Fly app.:
-5 different OEM batteries
-4 different C to C cords
-4 different phones, 2 were Samsung, 2 are on the "approved" list
-3 memory sticks

All batteries and phones fully charged.  Memory sticks wiped again and again.  I have changed to every possible configuration in the Settings menu.

And this 2 month old DJI Mini 2 is still not working correctly!

BONUS!  Return to Home no longer works!  At any time.  It gives some weird 20 m. warning, no matter how far away, and then nothing.  I fly back every time manually.

So now it's not my phone, batteries, cable, memory stick, then what is it?

I have done a total of 24 Full Batteries of testing.  The thing still does not work.  It's the same no matter the phone or the cord or the battery...looses connection, no RtH, have to hope and pray I can get it back.

I see others here and other sites having this same problem.  I have done my due diligence in attempting to fix this.  In fact, now I'm seeing this same problem going back to 2018 with DJI Drones.  How is this fixed?  I can no longer trust this $800 camera to fly anywhere but over my house, not what I bought it for.  Thank you.
2021-8-2
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

1st off, if you can view the live screen from the get go, then its not the cable so ru/e that out also rule out memory card, that shouldn't cause a connection issue.
And also rule out batteries, those do not cause a connection issue.

You do not say,
1, where you're flying?
2, Flight stats when the connection drops
3, What is the RTH height set to
4, i take it auto RTH has never kicked in due to trust?
For the RTH issue, have you tried, flying the AC about 60m away, then turning off the RC and see what happens?

Upping a flight log when this issue occurs would help, HERE

All of the above would help determine whats going on

Perhaps at this stage, a firmware refresh may be in order?

2021-8-2
Use props
asylum23
lvl.1
United States

Bashy Posted at 8-2 17:48
1st off, if you can view the live screen from the get go, then its not the cable so ru/e that out also rule out memory card, that shouldn't cause a connection issue.
And also rule out batteries, those do not cause a connection issue.

Thank you.  Does DJI have to do that firmware refresh?

1.  Now in my yard and my street, which is near to Ann Arbor, MI.  Always flown here prior, but now scared to fly anywhere else.
2.  Not sure what this refers to really, but it can be 50' up or 250' up, taking photos, video, or just flying.  At  first I thought I was taking pics "too fast," except the Pano.'s almost always trigger this issue, at any height or distance.
3.  It was set to my yard, so ground level for Ann Arbor.  I tried our 2nd floor balcony, but made no difference.
4.  Auto RtH used to work 100%, and each time it goes up it says that it's marked the RtH.  Then press the button, no matter how far away, and it doesn't work, plus I get that message mentioned.  I've even gone into the menu, while flying, to try to fix but no, pressing the button doesn't result anything, no beeping, no movement, it's like a dead button.

I have turned off the control, restarted the phones, unplugged and replugged, everything I can think of.  Still no RtH and black screen, when it has a screen.  Also when it's a black screen, right prior, the controls totally stop working, every time on that too.

At 1st RtH was working, so I had a black screen but I could have it come back to me.  Now that's not even feasible.  Hence, the t/s has been in my yard and my street and nowhere else.

I will look at your Flight Log link, maybe has some clues.  Def the issue must be either the Drone or the Controller, as I think I've tested all else for many days and hours, with no good outcome.  Thank you.
2021-8-2
Use props
asylum23
lvl.1
United States

Here is a full flight.  Each flight the app. has crashed at least 4-6 times, so I can't pinpoint that time on here.  But please let me know if anything looks off?  It's almost acting like it loses the signal, even if it's sitting on a table immediately in front of me.  Thank you.

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/X8GPT1OBSJAFSQ92DGXU/
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/N7ZVK07GIISLJPR74FGZ/
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/AQX87K5T52RY69PKRZEC/
2021-8-2
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for that info,

RTH Will not work when within 20m as its too close to home, it will cancel and just hover, is that the error
The firmware you can do yourself using the DJI Assistant, well, you can with older models, someone may confirm this for the mini 2?
But its deffo an app issue if its happening that close and there's no issues in the 1st log i looked at, didnt need to look at the rest
If you're having issues with all app versions then perhaps a firmware refresh wouldn't hurt but 1.4.4 is recommended as working
after they've had these issues.

If you have android 11 it has a screen recorder or Instaling an app called DU Recorder, and starting that prior to anything else will record the screen with what you see and will show us exactly what you're seeing.

Have you tried flying anywhere else?

Try this on your most powerful phone thats on the list, go into android settings / apps and Fly and stop the app, clear cache,
ya may have to goto Device care / Storage / Apps / DJI Fly / empty cache. then uninstall it from there too. Then install v 1.4.4 and
see how you get on.
2021-8-2
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Updated the above reply
2021-8-2
Use props
asylum23
lvl.1
United States

Bashy Posted at 8-2 20:30
Thanks for that info,

RTH Will not work when within 20m as its too close to home, it will cancel and just hover, is that the error

Thank you.  I will try that tomorrow as it's Midnight here in Detroit area.

I did try all that prior, then tried the 3 different builds, and it happens exactly the same on all 4 phones.
I used 1.4.8 where the trouble began.  1.4.4 same troubles continued.  And 1.4.2 no change.  Tho prior, I was not having ANY issues.  

I actually looked at second-by-second on the 3 files, on 3 different websites.  All had No Issues, everything is Green, and of course you can't see where exactly this is happening.  Such that it doesn't say, "12 min. 7 sec. Fly app freezes.....12 min. 36 sec. Fly app opened" all while at the same time flying.

I guess these all track the Drone itself, but not the app. installed on your phone.  But thank you, I can try tomorrow, upload my Flight Data.  I've also reached out to DJI, purchased thru Amazon.
2021-8-2
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You're not alone in this, many others are having issues, so far after numerous flights, I have not had this issue on either my Note 20 Ultra or my old Tab S2
That doesn't help you mind, have you tried going to where it shows all opened apps bottom left button and close them?
2021-8-2
Use props
asylum23
lvl.1
United States

Bashy Posted at 8-2 20:30
Thanks for that info,

I will try that screen recorder.  Yes, when RtH at very first was not working for me, it was about 3 blocks away.  It's that error and it says it's 20 m., except it's a lot further away both up and distance.  

It scared me because being blocks away, I couldn't understand why it believed it to be 20m., and it wasn't.

Yes, all 3 builds doing the exact same thing.  Started after 1.4.8 installed.  I mean that day, really thought rolling back would fix, but sadly did not.  I can't see any errors on the Logs, I don't really know what else to try, 4 phones, 3 builds, yet wasn't doing anything negative right out of the box.

I did try a park a few miles from our house, I'd been to prior, but it did it there too.  Now I'm just scared to fly this thing anywhere but over my house, so until it's fixed, not useable to me.  Thank you.
2021-8-2
Use props
asylum23
lvl.1
United States

Bashy Posted at 8-2 20:50
You're not alone in this, many others are having issues, so far after numerous flights, I have not had this issue on either my Note 20 Ultra or my old Tab S2
That doesn't help you mind, have you tried going to where it shows all opened apps bottom left button and close them?

Yes, just tonight SO gave me the 4th phone to try.  He's an IT Manager.  This was a brand new phone, only thing he installed was the Fly app.

So nothing to interfere.  Gave it 5 minutes flying, black screen, app crashed, exactly the same.  We are at a real loss.  Thank you.
2021-8-2
Use props
robpri
lvl.3
Flight distance : 635066 ft
South Africa

This is very interesting, considering you have rolled back the app . I have been using 1.4.0 on my Samsung and have had no issues. I tried 1.4.8 and it was a nightmare of blank screens and disconnecting
2021-8-3
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I wonder if its the firmware in the controller that needs updating, I know there is a way to do this on a phantom 4 controller
not sure about this mini 2 controller, I would have thought so, you just need to find out how, prob using DJI Assistant???
2021-8-3
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

All that testing! You have done more than I would have done. Send it back and get a new one under warranty!
2021-8-3
Use props
asylum23
lvl.1
United States

yogi053 Posted at 8-3 02:17
All that testing! You have done more than I would have done. Send it back and get a new one under warranty!

Here's what happened there:  bought everything from Amazon, it is under warranty.  They told me to contact DJI, which I of course have.  3 times now.

Today will be the 4th time, and last time.

I have included all of my testing here, and they have not answered a single email sent.  Nothing.  Reading the Amazon reviews, this seems to be a common theme.

I also saw a wide variety of phones where same thing happened, also trying many makes/models.

I really thought one of these would fix it, I'd had NO issues at all before, just flew perfectly.  This has been very unexpected.
2021-8-5
Use props
asylum23
lvl.1
United States

robpri Posted at 8-3 01:13
This is very interesting, considering you have rolled back the app . I have been using 1.4.0 on my Samsung and have had no issues. I tried 1.4.8 and it was a nightmare of blank screens and disconnecting

Thank you.  I'll now try the 1.4.0 build too.

Given the install, uninstall, variety of phones...I think it's the Controller "holds" onto some part of the newest update.  Just my theory.  Worked perfectly prior, now same issue on all phones, etc. and only real constant is the Controller.
2021-8-5
Use props
asylum23
lvl.1
United States

Bashy Posted at 8-3 02:09
I wonder if its the firmware in the controller that needs updating, I know there is a way to do this on a phantom 4 controller
not sure about this mini 2 controller, I would have thought so, you just need to find out how, prob using DJI Assistant???

Yes, only constant now is the Controller.

Maybe it keeps a type of Ghost Residue in there, even after installs and uninstalls.  I'm not sure really, I guess I'll get to spend more time looking that up.  Thank you.
2021-8-5
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

asylum23 Posted at 8-5 03:30
Yes, only constant now is the Controller.

Maybe it keeps a type of Ghost Residue in there, even after installs and uninstalls.  I'm not sure really, I guess I'll get to spend more time looking that up.  Thank you.

I wish a moderator would chirp up, they will tell use the way to refresh the controller firmware, please look at the DJI Assistant, I have a feeling is using that...
2021-8-5
Use props
asylum23
lvl.1
United States

Bashy Posted at 8-5 03:51
I wish a moderator would chirp up, they will tell use the way to refresh the controller firmware, please look at the DJI Assistant, I have a feeling is using that...

Yes, been working on getting that to communicate with the Controller.  It installs, loads, then nothing.  

And I see that issue also going back 2 years on these same Boards.  Maybe I can find it elsewhere.  But this is a LOT of trouble for an already-expensive camera.  And been a week, they also have not addressed my Warranty claim after purchasing on Amazon, which I see that too has been an ongoing issue.   Probably why no one is answering, well me or the other dozen or so Mini 2 users having the same shut-down issue.  Thank you.
2021-8-5
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

asylum23 Posted at 8-5 04:58
Yes, been working on getting that to communicate with the Controller.  It installs, loads, then nothing.  

And I see that issue also going back 2 years on these same Boards.  Maybe I can find it elsewhere.  But this is a LOT of trouble for an already-expensive camera.  And been a week, they also have not addressed my Warranty claim after purchasing on Amazon, which I see that too has been an ongoing issue.   Probably why no one is answering, well me or the other dozen or so Mini 2 users having the same shut-down issue.  Thank you.

Just a thought, have you tried refreshing the controller firmware using Assistant?
2021-8-5
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mobilehomer Posted at 8-5 05:54
Just a thought, have you tried refreshing the controller firmware using Assistant?

Already suggested, 3/4 posts up
2021-8-5
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

For some reason, this guy refuses to tell anyone which exact model phones he has used even after being asked multiple times in other topics. That is suspicious.
2021-8-5
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

Bashy Posted at 8-5 18:28
Already suggested, 3/4 posts up

Sorry missed it. There has been a tutorial on Assistant hack with Mini 2 in the last couple days. Found it.

2021-8-5
Use props
asylum23
lvl.1
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 8-5 05:54

Yes, have not been able to get it to work.  I went into the .ini. file, changed the "0" to "1", go back and it still just has the Driver that's already installed.  No list of other possible Drivers shows up.
2021-8-5
Use props
asylum23
lvl.1
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 8-5 18:45
For some reason, this guy refuses to tell anyone which exact model phones he has used even after being asked multiple times in other topics. That is suspicious.

You know what else is "suspicious"?  That you just called me a GUY.

Which means you actually didn't read any of my posts.

And please, show me all these other "topics" where I'm being asked "multiple times" what phoneS I have.  Feel free, link them here.  I have said I have used FIVE phones, now a 6th will be coming, and ALL crash in the same way.  Wow.  I'm totally suspicious.
2021-8-5
Use props
asylum23
lvl.1
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 8-5 19:03
Sorry missed it. There has been a tutorial on Assistant hack with Mini 2 in the last couple days. Found it.
https://youtu.be/m3Sk1UPLIVg

Thanks!  That is the exact same video i watched, freeze framed, and followed too.

I changed the .ini file, like he said, from a "0" to a "1".  Go back, I still only have the build that already existed, there's no other choices.  Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

But thank you, his video was the only place I've found how to change the controller Driver.
2021-8-5
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mobilehomer Posted at 8-5 19:03
Sorry missed it. There has been a tutorial on Assistant hack with Mini 2 in the last couple days. Found it.

I voted, thanks for the video, so I am going to assume that its not the norm for a mini 2 to be able to refresh the firmware, only when DJI says so? I wonder if that's why a mod hasn't contributed.

asylum23, I would have a go at it myself but I dare not as mine is working fine, you know the old saying, "if it ain't broke..." etc

There is one other option but its about 25 euro, Drone Hacks, I would confirm with them 1st to make sure it refreshes the firmware in the controller though because the selection list only shows the firmware for the AC, but that may include the controller too, double check before forking out.
But, if ya under warranty, it may be time to send it in for DJI to rectify it?

I cant believe its not as simple as the controller for say the P4, I'm gonna watch the video now and see what its all about

Yeah i see, if youre not seeing any downloads perhaps its due to either, DJI have stopped it altogether now or, its locale related
The guy sounds like hes UK, do you could try using a VPN, download their windows or mac software and set it to the UK then try again

2021-8-5
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Some points to note: Make sure you do not take off until you get the verbal 'home point has been updated' voice prompt, because if you take off too early, the aircraft may set the home point several blocks away from your home.

Return To Home will not work when the aircraft is within 20 Metres or 65 feet of your home location, all DJI aircraft do this. Within that 20 Metre radius, you are expected to fly the aircraft home manually.

Flying directly up above yourself is the worst place to fly, and you frequently get loss of signal when directly overhead, always fly some distance away from yourself.

Please answer the questions about what phone or phones you are using, as this can have a huge impact on the problems you are receiving. For example, Samsung phones most of the time give people grief, particularly the latest ones.
2021-8-5
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 8-5 22:07
Some points to note: Make sure you do not take off until you get the verbal 'home point has been updated' voice prompt, because if you take off too early, the aircraft may set the home point several blocks away from your home.

Return To Home will not work when the aircraft is within 20 Metres or 65 feet of your home location, all DJI aircraft do this. Within that 20 Metre radius, you are expected to fly the aircraft home manually.

Samsung phones most of the time give people grief, particularly the latest ones.

I have only ever used Samsung's, Note 3, 5, 9, 10 and now the 20 ultra 5g, you dont get much
later than that one, and all have been ok regarding DJI software.
I have used and use Tab S2's 9.7'' with DJI software and again, with no issues.

To be honest, the way it seems is, its luck of the draw if you get a poor experience or not but
it seems to be pretty much after an update, be it firmware or app, thats got to tells us something?

In the above case, they have flown it 3 blocks away, flown at a park and had the same issues,
Also 2 phones were Samsungs but the model was not stated some were on the approved list.

Thats a good point re flying above, i always forget about that, more so with this mini remote as the

signal is coming out of the flat part of it.
2021-8-6
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

asylum23 Posted at 8-5 20:51
You know what else is "suspicious"?  That you just called me a GUY.

Which means you actually didn't read any of my posts.

Still no answer, "guy"? What are you hiding?
2021-8-6
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 8-6 18:28
Still no answer, "guy"? What are you hiding?

I have a Galaxy S21 Ultra, top of the line phone, and a Galaxy Tab A, either one works GREAT!!! ZERO problems!!! I have flown well over 3000 feet with no problems. Android 11 on both. Maybe it's time to return it to DJI for a replacement.
Maybe dronin's not his game. I know, let's try a spelling contest!!

2021-8-6
Use props
Mini2 Flyr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4347785 ft
Australia

Mobilehomer Posted at 8-6 18:52
I have a Galaxy S21 Ultra, top of the line phone, and a Galaxy Tab A, either one works GREAT!!! ZERO problems!!! I have flown well over 3000 feet with no problems. Android 11 on both. Maybe it's time to return it to DJI for a replacement.
Maybe dronin's not his game. I know, let's try a spelling contest!!

Yes it is really quite bizarre that this guy who is still complaining about his "issues" quite simply refuses to confirm what 6 phones he has tried using. What is the big secret and why can't he just name which phones he has actually tried? Something is not quite right and it smells just a little fishy.

It is funny that most of us have never encountered anything close to the issues he claims he has experienced. If his drone is causing as many problems as he claims, why wouldn't he have just sent it into DJI for assessment? The whole thing is really quite bizarre, as is this guy's story.
2021-8-6
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
Flight distance : 1725341 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just out of interest, are all the phones that you have had these errors occur Android?  Have a friend who had similar issues, but now flies with an early iPhone (I think a 5SE) and no issues...Good luck, and well done for all the diagnostics / testing. Surprised that @djipaladin or one of the other moderators hasn't seen this thread yet.
2021-8-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules