What to do about Coastguard copters with no ADSB?
1260 13 2021-8-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dangerly
lvl.4
United States

For the second time now, I've been surprised by a low flying (maybe 300 feet) Coastguard helicopter with no ADS-B. At least I don't get an ADS-B warning, when I normally do with aircarft. I've been in clear airspace both times. From my perspective, they come out of nowhere with no warning and it seems like an incredibly risky thing to do. I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this problem?

I am aware that the FAA allows certain aircraft to turn off ADS-B under certain circumstances, and I'm not sure if this explains why there was no ADS-B: https://www.govinfo.gov/content/ ... /pdf/2019-15248.pdf

I really don't want to want to do a CSC shutoff and lose my drone over this. So far I didn't judge that either encounter could even remotely cause a collision, but if the timing had been different, I would have lost my drone.
2021-8-6
Use props
FriedChicken_II
lvl.4
Flight distance : 721555 ft

China

use a set of beam lights maybe. at least you can make them know your existence
2021-8-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Here in the UK if the coast guard or police helicopter are on operations they turn off their ADS-B so they cannot be monitored maybe they are doing the same there.
2021-8-7
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have a Coast Guard squadron stationed nearby and they fly low and fast over me almost daily and I never get an ADS-B warning.  They do a lot of drug interdiction operations so I can only assume that the ADS-B is turned off.

I do get ADS-B warnings from privately owned helicopters and most private planes so I know the ADS-B is working on my drone.  
2021-8-7
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I am aware that the FAA allows certain aircraft to turn off ADS-B under certain circumstances ...
The problem is that lots of planes aren't required to have ADS-B.
And unfortunately they are the planes you are most likely to encounter with the drone.I don’t have

From https://www.aopa.org/go-fly/aircraft-and-ownership/ads-b
ADS-B Out, where can I fly? (written for airplane owners)
Without ADS-B Out, you can fly in any airspace except the ADS-B rule airspace defined by FAR 91.225 (see above). Note that ADS-B is not required in Class D airspace, or under a Class B or Class C airspace shelf, unless it lies within a Mode C veil.
2021-8-7
Use props
InsaneDiego
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1376841 ft
United States

I don't get Coast Guard but I do get the Police and Fire Helocopters (and actually some military too since I'm just several miles from the base). Ya, it's like a scene out of Apocolyspe Now. They are ripping past and are only a couple hundred feet up. I've been caught out a couple of times, thankfully. They tend to be a bit loud so sometimes you can hear them and descend before you get into trouble, but it is a troubling situation. I also have a problem with airplanes. I'm just barely in the 400 foot fly zone but I routinely get planes that fly much much lower. I tend to stay around 100 feet at the house but occasionally I'd like to pop up to 150. They are definitely flying in that space and that's not good. Since I'm in the 400 foot zone, I assumed that means they should be at 400+ by the time they get to my house.
2021-8-8
Use props
InsaneDiego
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1376841 ft
United States

How low can they go? This was last week. Ya, they be pretty low!

2021-8-8
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

InsaneDiego Posted at 8-8 20:37
I don't get Coast Guard but I do get the Police and Fire Helocopters (and actually some military too since I'm just several miles from the base). Ya, it's like a scene out of Apocolyspe Now. They are ripping past and are only a couple hundred feet up. I've been caught out a couple of times, thankfully. They tend to be a bit loud so sometimes you can hear them and descend before you get into trouble, but it is a troubling situation. I also have a problem with airplanes. I'm just barely in the 400 foot fly zone but I routinely get planes that fly much much lower. I tend to stay around 100 feet at the house but occasionally I'd like to pop up to 150. They are definitely flying in that space and that's not good. Since I'm in the 400 foot zone, I assumed that means they should be at 400+ by the time they get to my house.

USCG deal with many aspects, some being criminal so would only make sense to turn theirs off.
2021-8-8
Use props
Dangerly
lvl.4
United States

InsaneDiego Posted at 8-8 20:41
How low can they go? This was last week. Ya, they be pretty low!

[view_image]

That is an amazing photo!!!
2021-8-9
Use props
Dangerly
lvl.4
United States

InsaneDiego Posted at 8-8 20:37
I don't get Coast Guard but I do get the Police and Fire Helocopters (and actually some military too since I'm just several miles from the base). Ya, it's like a scene out of Apocolyspe Now. They are ripping past and are only a couple hundred feet up. I've been caught out a couple of times, thankfully. They tend to be a bit loud so sometimes you can hear them and descend before you get into trouble, but it is a troubling situation. I also have a problem with airplanes. I'm just barely in the 400 foot fly zone but I routinely get planes that fly much much lower. I tend to stay around 100 feet at the house but occasionally I'd like to pop up to 150. They are definitely flying in that space and that's not good. Since I'm in the 400 foot zone, I assumed that means they should be at 400+ by the time they get to my house.

Thanks for that info. I am wondering from an ethical perspective, who would be at fault in the case of a collision that caused the helicopter to crash. Do you have an ethical obligation to do a CSC if necessary when an aircraft is intentionally risking crashing with your drone by flying low and fast and without ADS-B in clear airspace?

Me personally, I would still do the CSC and lose my drone. I'm just asking the question to see what others think?
2021-8-9
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Dangerly Posted at 8-9 10:26
Thanks for that info. I am wondering from an ethical perspective, who would be at fault in the case of a collision that caused the helicopter to crash. Do you have an ethical obligation to do a CSC if necessary when an aircraft is intentionally risking crashing with your drone by flying low and fast and without ADS-B in clear airspace?

Me personally, I would still do the CSC and lose my drone. I'm just asking the question to see what others think?

It does not matter what you do as long as you get out of the way. The overarching rule is that any un-manned vehicle must give way to any manned vehicle. Sadly, I think the authorities would by satisified to have a collision between a drone and a manned aircraft to give them fuel to ban drones.
2021-8-9
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

A  HH-65A USCG 6k lb helicopter hits your 1.25 lb MA2. Like a fly on the windshield, wipers take care of it ;-) They get 10 lb bird hits all the time.
2021-8-9
Use props
Dangerly
lvl.4
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 8-9 18:51
A  HH-65A USCG 6k lb helicopter hits your 1.25 lb MA2. Like a fly on the windshield, wipers take care of it ;-) They get 10 lb bird hits all the time.

What you would do if you saw a HH-65A heading straight towards your drone? Given that the helicopter would be safe, maybe you don't do the CSC and hope for the best?
2021-8-10
Use props
3Recon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4175541 ft
United States

I've post a similar thread also and I've come to the conclusion that I descend /drop to my RTH altitude and then relocate air craft. and then breath....calming. ##?/ that all I could come up with.
2021-8-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules