Flyaway issue
12852 162 2021-8-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
robpri
lvl.3
Flight distance : 635066 ft
South Africa

Perhaps just ignore Johnny_J . Trolling hard here . He has already moved from Austria to Sweden
2021-8-11
Use props
Johnny_J
Second Officer

Sweden

robpri Posted at 8-11 05:40
Perhaps just ignore Johnny_J . Trolling hard here . He has already moved from Austria to Sweden

Of course you can do that. As I ignore this stupid forum's decision to put me in Austria in the first place (and no way to change it!).
2021-8-11
Use props
hunterws
Second Officer
Flight distance : 382536 ft
United States

TP-FPV Posted at 8-11 05:15
Seriously...!!!
Give me some type of example where a drone just flew away due to it being dji's fault???

With all the failsafes in place, you'd think they would run through a quick series of questions prior to take-off to make sure there can't be human error.  Turn off wifi, enter plane mode, etc etc etc all the little details that matter.  They could do that, but then their returns and parts sales would suffer.
2021-8-11
Use props
Spudster17
lvl.2
Flight distance : 199810 ft
United States

hunterws Posted at 8-11 11:04
With all the failsafes in place, you'd think they would run through a quick series of questions prior to take-off to make sure there can't be human error.  Turn off wifi, enter plane mode, etc etc etc all the little details that matter.  They could do that, but then their returns and parts sales would suffer.

They do go through a check list the first time you run the Fly app. Most people turn off the check list after the first time or two. If you want a real "failsafe" check list it would include 20+ points to check before it would allow you to take off. Would you want your drone sitting on the ground eating up battery while to check off all of the points?

The main reason to turn off WiFi and go into Airplane mode is if your phone or tablet is borderline on being able to run the Fly app. Most don't have to do that.
2021-8-11
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

hunterws Posted at 8-11 11:04

Turn off wifi, enter plane mode, etc etc etc all the little details that matter.  
None of those small details make any difference.
They could do that, but then their returns and parts sales would suffer.
If DJI's business model was to make their money from repairing crashed drones, their reputation would suffer and thay wouldn't have a 75% market share.

2021-8-11
Use props
hunterws
Second Officer
United States

Spudster17 Posted at 8-11 14:26
They do go through a check list the first time you run the Fly app. Most people turn off the check list after the first time or two. If you want a real "failsafe" check list it would include 20+ points to check before it would allow you to take off. Would you want your drone sitting on the ground eating up battery while to check off all of the points?

The main reason to turn off WiFi and go into Airplane mode is if your phone or tablet is borderline on being able to run the Fly app. Most don't have to do that.

Would you want your drone sitting on the ground eating up battery while to check off all of the points

If it meant zero chance of flyaway, I would not mind, I have 3 batteries and never use all of them anyway.  I haven't flown since the new app came out, that's how careful I am.  I didn't fly for the first week to see if anyone had problems, and boy did they.  I'll keep my asset as a paperweight worth selling before I send hundreds of dollars into the air with my fingers crossed.  My drone backpack has a layer of dust on top, and that gives me piece of mind.  As well, makes me distrust this company.
2021-8-12
Use props
hunterws
Second Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 8-11 15:30
Turn off wifi, enter plane mode, etc etc etc all the little details that matter.  
None of those small details make any difference.
They could do that, but then their returns and parts sales would suffer.

They have that market share only due to the fact they have had no competition, every day that goes by, there are drone companies tooling up to give them that competition.  This seems like their last chance to really foul things up, it's no secret they hate anti-communists  *shrug*

Turn off wifi, turn on plane mode, those little things very much matter, and you saying otherwise reveals to me your level of safety.
2021-8-12
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hunterws Posted at 8-12 07:08
They have that market share only due to the fact they have had no competition, every day that goes by, there are drone companies tooling up to give them that competition.  This seems like their last chance to really foul things up, it's no secret they hate anti-communists  *shrug*

Turn off wifi, turn on plane mode, those little things very much matter, and you saying otherwise reveals to me your level of safety.

Actually, it does not matter, i never put my phone or tablets into aeroplane mode, ever and have zero issues, never had issues either, so far...
2021-8-12
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

With the thousands of DJI drones out there, if it were a real DJI software/firmware problem, there would be hundreds of reports all over the internet, plus recalls. The VAST majority of DJI owners fly without incident. The only way for a true flyaway to happen would be for a major simultaneous hardware/software glitch. Ain't gonna happen.
2021-8-12
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

hunterws Posted at 8-12 07:08
They have that market share only due to the fact they have had no competition, every day that goes by, there are drone companies tooling up to give them that competition.  This seems like their last chance to really foul things up, it's no secret they hate anti-communists  *shrug*

Turn off wifi, turn on plane mode, those little things very much matter, and you saying otherwise reveals to me your level of safety.

If it meant zero chance of flyaway, I would not mind
There's no such thing as a "flyaway".
It's just drone owners that lost their drone and don't understand why.

And ensuring a drone returns safely doesn't depend on silly automated checklists.
It comes from flyers understanding how their drone really works, what can go wrong and how to ensure it doesn't.

They have that market share only due to the fact they have had no competition.
And why is that?

There are plenty of companies that have tried to compete, but none have been able to make a dint in DJI's market share, which comes from developing and producing market-leading technology.

every day that goes by, there are drone companies tooling up to give them that competition.
What are these imaginary companies?
Can you point any out or are you just imagining something that you would like to see.
DJI has a massive advantage with a large R&D department, that new startups haven't been able to compete with.

Your posts have shown how shallow your drone understanding and experience is.
2021-8-12
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

There are no fly aways I've experienced and I have a bunch of DJIs.  I joined DJI late like 2018 so a lot of stuff was ironed out.  (I too was Mega scared of fly aways prior to this time).  The Mini had issues with it going 60mph out of control.  I haven't had any w/ the Mini 2.  No way can that be operator error as they are limited to do like 30mph.  Maybe during shipping it was stacked near a package that had Extremely powerful magnets and it kind of destroyed some parts but who knows.

I wouldn't worry so much for a fly away as long as you have GPS and everything says ok to fly.  I would worry about getting bored in the air though as in the air a lot of things look and feel the same at least imo.  If I'm not trying to see something on purpose and/or get paid for it, it's just not worth flying anymore as it's boring.

As for DJI, I've seen other pilots fly very close to transformers and high-voltage wiring and it work flawlessly.  Maybe the programming got a lot better w/ the updates.
2021-8-12
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 8-12 15:30
If it meant zero chance of flyaway, I would not mind
There's no such thing as a "flyaway".
It's just drone owners that lost their drone and don't understand why.

I like how you try to address everything someone said.  I just don't bother reading too much and just state personal experience because from that, hopefully a lot of questions automatically get answered or dismissed.
2021-8-12
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

There's no need for everyone to argue other than trying to fulfill the wasted time being spent in the belief that it pleases ourselves or the creators (God).

DJI is amazing if you do everything right user settings, calibration, and control wise but there can still be defects out there that ruin the thousands of drones that have no issues so we shouldn't dismiss those with problems.  I had a gimbal issue with a brand new M2P shipped straight from DJI in Shenzhen.  RMA was the only solution (saw a Youtuber who had the similar issue and did an RMA) as I've tried everything else.  Now it works as expected.
2021-8-12
Use props
Spudster17
lvl.2
Flight distance : 199810 ft
United States

hunterws Posted at 8-12 07:06
Would you want your drone sitting on the ground eating up battery while to check off all of the points

If it meant zero chance of flyaway, I would not mind, I have 3 batteries and never use all of them anyway.  I haven't flown since the new app came out, that's how careful I am.  I didn't fly for the first week to see if anyone had problems, and boy did they.  I'll keep my asset as a paperweight worth selling before I send hundreds of dollars into the air with my fingers crossed.  My drone backpack has a layer of dust on top, and that gives me piece of mind.  As well, makes me distrust this company.

So, in other words. you'd like a checklist to go through every time you want to drive your multi-thousand dollar automobile? Brakes fail, tires go flat, run out gas, bulbs burn out, etc.

Maybe people just need to take some personal responsibly for their actions and not try to blame someone else for their own failures.
2021-8-12
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Spudster17 Posted at 8-12 18:47
So, in other words. you'd like a checklist to go through every time you want to drive your multi-thousand dollar automobile? Brakes fail, tires go flat, run out gas, bulbs burn out, etc.

Maybe people just need to take some personal responsibly for their actions and not try to blame someone else for their own failures.

Actually, funny ya say that, here in the UK as  part of our highway code, we are supposed to do those checks to make sure the vehicle is roadworthy, the Highway Code is law. but  I bet less than 1% actually do this in the private sector, professional drivers will have to do it, but I bet less than 50% do it....
2021-8-12
Use props
BWJ
Second Officer

Denmark

Gone for some popcorn, anyone else ??
2021-8-13
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 8-12 17:56
There's no need for everyone to argue other than trying to fulfill the wasted time being spent in the belief that it pleases ourselves or the creators (God).

DJI is amazing if you do everything right user settings, calibration, and control wise but there can still be defects out there that ruin the thousands of drones that have no issues so we shouldn't dismiss those with problems.  I had a gimbal issue with a brand new M2P shipped straight from DJI in Shenzhen.  RMA was the only solution (saw a Youtuber who had the similar issue and did an RMA) as I've tried everything else.  Now it works as expected.

Please excuse my ignorance. What, may I ask is an RMA please?
2021-8-13
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

yogi053 Posted at 8-13 03:29

Also known as "Return Materials Authorization." It's basically a tracking number that you get from a company for them to, well track you drone as it goes thru the repair process..
2021-8-13
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Arpettaz Posted at 8-13 04:08
I have never had a fly away. Nor do I know anyone who has ever had a fly away. However I have nearly lost my drone on more than one occasion because I was right on the wind limits. I suspect most flyaways are down to pilot error flying in strong winds rather than a software problem. If it was a software problem hundreds of thousands if not millions of drone owners would be complaining to DJI which they are not. QED

Actually, i have watched a YT video of a true fly away, I think it was a P2 or P3

Found it, it was a P2 and the definition of a flyaway is a loss of control, in my eyes anyway
I know why it happened; it was due to the magnetic interference around his take-off spot
and the fact that he calibrated the ac prior to take-off, that calibrated the ac to the magnetic
the field around the take off spot, once it left that field, the AC dint know left from right or it
@rse to its elbow...

2021-8-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Bashy Posted at 8-13 04:31
Actually, i have watched a YT video of a true fly away, I think it was a P2 or P3

Found it, it was a P2 and the definition of a flyaway is a loss of control, in my eyes anyway

Actually, i have watched a YT video of a true fly away
That's not a "flyaway", it's a yaw error induced by the flyer not knowing what he was doing.
It was completely predictable and pablereventable the cause is well known and understood (by experienced flyers)

And it's an original P2 with a gopro hung from a gimbal.

He was under the misapprehension that there was something wrong with the compass and re-calibrating would "fix" it.
His drone's compass was warning him not to launch there, but he did.
Recalibrating could never fix the problem his compass was warning about.

it was due to ... and the fact that he calibrated the ac prior to take-off, that calibrated the ac to the magnetic
the field around the take off spot.

Actually it had nothing to do with him calibrating there.
It would have happened whether or not he did.
Calibrating the compass isn't affected by external magnetic fields.
Recalibrating in a magnetically disturbed environment would either recalibrate normally or fail to calibrate.

2021-8-13
Use props
fans5fad8194
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8320997 ft
United States

Gotta love these food fights.
2021-8-13
Use props
Andre vd Weide
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1503937 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

BWJ Posted at 8-13 03:13
Gone for some popcorn, anyone else ??

Yes give me also  popcorn
2021-8-13
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

yogi053 Posted at 8-13 03:29

Warranty replacement.

Return Manufacturer Authorization

2021-8-13
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

Andre vd Weide Posted at 8-13 07:12
Yes give me also  popcorn

For me as well please !
2021-8-13
Use props
hunterws
Second Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 8-13 05:32
That's not a "flyaway", it's a yaw error induced by the flyer not knowing what he was doing.
It was completely predictable and pablereventable the cause is well known and understood (by experienced flyers)

Labrhoids, you are obviously invested.  Why else would you take that much time to pick apart every critique or issue?  Flyaways do happen, and I think you're full of it.
2021-8-13
Use props
hunterws
Second Officer
United States

Bashy Posted at 8-12 22:32
Actually, funny ya say that, here in the UK as  part of our highway code, we are supposed to do those checks to make sure the vehicle is roadworthy, the Highway Code is law. but  I bet less than 1% actually do this in the private sector, professional drivers will have to do it, but I bet less than 50% do it....

It's required here too, I just think he's a bit daft and doesn't recall drivers education.
2021-8-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

hunterws Posted at 8-13 14:34
Labrhoids, you are obviously invested.  Why else would you take that much time to pick apart every critique or issue?  Flyaways do happen, and I think you're full of it.

you are obviously invested.  Why else would you take that much time to pick apart every critique or issue?  
Perhaps because I've been flying these things professionally for years and I understand how they work and try to dispel the myths and ignorance.
In your case the effort was wasted but perhaps others will benefit.

Flyaways do happen, and I think you're full of it.

Willful ignorance does happen and you're a prime example.
2021-8-13
Use props
hunterws
Second Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 8-13 14:52
you are obviously invested.  Why else would you take that much time to pick apart every critique or issue?  
Perhaps because I've been flying these things professionally for years and I understand how they work and try to dispel the myths and ignorance.
In your case the effort was wasted but perhaps others will benefit.

I think you're blinded by profit and arrogance, if it didn't happen to you, it cannot possibly happen.
Quit being a pain in the rear roids
2021-8-13
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 8-13 05:32

Did you watch it all, there was a point where he'd actually let go of the sticks and it was still moving on its own, and i know it was a P2, i did state that when I added the video ;)

2021-8-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Bashy Posted at 8-13 16:38
Did you watch it all, there was a point where he'd actually let go of the sticks and it was still moving on its own, and i know it was a P2, i did state that when I added the video ;)

Did you watch it all,
Yes, I did watch it ...

there was a point where he'd actually let go of the sticks and it was still moving on its own
That's what happens when you give the drone a yaw error.
2021-8-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

hunterws Posted at 8-13 15:37
I think you're blinded by profit and arrogance, if it didn't happen to you, it cannot possibly happen.

I think you're blinded by profit
You think I'm blinded by profit?
How do you imagine I'm profiting?
These days, all I'm getting is safe flying for myself and a warm feeling from helping others.

.. and arrogance
It's no guess to se that you are severely handicapped by ignorance.
if it didn't happen to you, it cannot possibly happen.
It doesn't happen to me because I have years of experience and know what I'm doing.
But I've analysed the flight data from hundreds of flight incidents to help others understand what caused their incident.

I guess it's would be wasted tyoing suggesting that you should quit being pig ignorant?

2021-8-13
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 8-13 17:44
Did you watch it all,
Yes, I did watch it ...

You would have known i'd stated it was a P2 before linking the video

So then you concur, there was a fly away? seen a "yaw error" is a loss of control.

If there is a "loss of control" where the ac fly's off on its own, regardless of what that reason is, is commonly known in the droning community as a "fly away".

2021-8-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Bashy Posted at 8-13 19:34
You would have known i'd stated it was a P2 before linking the video

So then you concur, there was a fly away? seen a "yaw error" is a loss of control.

Anything gets called a "flyaway" by many folks these days but that doesn't mean the drone mysteriously took off on its own.
This case is just like hundreds of other yaw error situations I've seen.
Completely preventable and a result of poor piloting.
If it's attributable to pilot error, you can't blame the drone and say that it flew away.
2021-8-14
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Flycaster Posted at 8-13 04:17
Also known as "Return Materials Authorization." It's basically a tracking number that you get from a company for them to, well track you drone as it goes thru the repair process..

Thank you for that explanation.
2021-8-14
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 8-13 09:37
Warranty replacement.

Return Manufacturer Authorization

Thanks for info.
2021-8-14
Use props
SteamEngineer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 17274 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 8-14 01:19
Anything gets called a "flyaway" by many folks these days but that doesn't mean the drone mysteriously took off on its own.
This case is just like hundreds of other yaw error situations I've seen.
Completely preventable and a result of poor piloting.

I bought my mini 2 first day they hit market.   I have never had any fly away issues.   In fact I see many folks doing some crazy flying pushing drones way past #1 the legal limit and #2 point of no return.  Than same person posts their crazy long distance videos up on you tube for world to see and the FAA to see.   Few weeks go by and usually see same long distancer bragger with drone in the lake.   Than they blame the controller anything but their sheer ignorance.

My two cents.  I fly my drone such that I can always see it visually keeping it under control and flying legal at all times.   Never had any issues when I keep to some basic common sense flight rules.  

2021-8-14
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17352513 ft
Sweden

SteamEngineer Posted at 8-14 03:04
I bought my mini 2 first day they hit market.   I have never had any fly away issues.   In fact I see many folks doing some crazy flying pushing drones way past #1 the legal limit and #2 point of no return.  Than same person posts their crazy long distance videos up on you tube for world to see and the FAA to see.   Few weeks go by and usually see same long distancer bragger with drone in the lake.   Than they blame the controller anything but their sheer ignorance.

My two cents.  I fly my drone such that I can always see it visually keeping it under control and flying legal at all times.   Never had any issues when I keep to some basic common sense flight rules.

I totally agree with you. Same here. However common sense is unfortunately a bit different to many people.
2021-8-14
Use props
hunterws
Second Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 8-13 17:52

You seem to get worked up over this little toy.  Afraid of losing something?
Quit guessing, and admit this product needs some work lil buddy.
2021-8-14
Use props
hunterws
Second Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 8-13 17:52

Pig ignorant?  This is how I deal with ferral hogs.   You are so a plant.  

2021-8-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

hunterws Posted at 8-14 13:45
You seem to get worked up over this little toy.  Afraid of losing something?
Quit guessing, and admit this product needs some work lil buddy.

No I'm just sick of dealing with your ignorant trolling.
Show me a single flight where the flight data supports your argument.
If things are as you say, that should be no problem at all.
2021-8-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules