Flyaway issue
12851 162 2021-8-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Johnny_J
Second Officer

Sweden

Labroides Posted at 8-17 06:11
If you knew anything about flying your drone, you'd know that the app is nice to have, but it isn't necessary.
Pull the cable from your phone or tablet and you still have full control of your drone.

Of course I know that! Already tried it. Works mate!
You have not read my previous post.
2021-8-17
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 8-17 06:11
If you knew anything about flying your drone, you'd know that the app is nice to have, but it isn't necessary.
Pull the cable from your phone or tablet and you still have full control of your drone.

He is too arrogant and/or stupid to understand.
2021-8-17
Use props
Johnny_J
Second Officer

Sweden

Mobilehomer Posted at 8-17 06:28
He is too arrogant and/or stupid to understand.

Mobilehomer, I know you always feel a little better when you act condescending to others. That's ok with me. Glad you cheered up some!
2021-8-17
Use props
fans5fad8194
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8320997 ft
United States

WOW! We're up to page 4 of replies.
2021-8-17
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

Johnny_J Posted at 8-17 06:46
Mobilehomer, I know you always feel a little better when you act condescending to others. That's ok with me. Glad you cheered up some!

Please, enlighten us. Exactly HOW can the app cause a flyaway? No trite "bad code" type answers. Explain HOW it can happen, when the critical rth is built into the drone?
2021-8-17
Use props
AussieDronePilot
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1942792 ft
Australia

I have had issues with the RTH feature recently, even when I selected “Return to home” the drone would stay in the same position, even selecting the RTH on the controller didn’t work, even though I had selected the home point.

Since I had VLOS and didn’t panic (though was annoyed), I returned manually.

So some of the problems is when people panic and have pushed the drone too far (in some cases beyond visual line of sight).
2021-8-17
Use props
Andre vd Weide
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1503937 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

maybe the must change the way of the button only change to rth and make a button in the app for make new home. so there is not a problem press the button
2021-8-17
Use props
ebea
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4297572 ft
Denmark

I think a thread, that now have reached 4 pages (so far), just shows, that as in the case here with the user Johnny_J, just shows, that there are people "out there" where common sense dont work. No matter what arguments people comes up with, persons like Johnny_J will keep holding on what they believe in, no matter how wrong it is. It's the same kind of people, that claims the Earth are flat.
I will say to you Johnny_J, that before you write a thread start as you did here, then investigate carefully, what is facts in what you claim, and what is ''stories'' on the Internet, without any facts.
2021-8-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

AussieDronePilot Posted at 8-17 18:53
I have had issues with the RTH feature recently, even when I selected “Return to home” the drone would stay in the same position, even selecting the RTH on the controller didn’t work, even though I had selected the home point.

Since I had VLOS and didn’t panic (though was annoyed), I returned manually.

I have had issues with the RTH feature recently, even when I selected “Return to home” the drone would stay in the same position

Something's not right, possibly the way you were trying to initiate RTH.
Have you initiated RTH successfully at other times?
You have to press the button and hold briefly, untill it starts beeping.

even selecting the RTH on the controller didn’t work, even though I had selected the home point.
This is puzzling because you don't have to "select the home point".
The drone records it's home point at startup.
When you initiate RTH, there is no option to choose anything.
The drone goes to the homepoint that it recorded at the beginning of the flight.
Perhaps you were confused and tried to reset your homepoint?
When you do that you can choose either the current location of the controller or the current location of the drone.

If you need help to work out what went wrong, post your recorded flight data and I'll have a look at it.

So some of the problems is when people panic and have pushed the drone too far (in some cases beyond visual line of sight).
The RTH feature is very reliable, more so than some flyers.
RTH will work, no matter how far out that you fly.

2021-8-18
Use props
GregT.
lvl.3
Flight distance : 445971 ft
Netherlands

Coold down mate.I think you need to take less dope and alcohol it is doing you no good!

2021-8-18
Use props
Johnny_J
Second Officer

Sweden

ebea Posted at 8-18 00:15
I think a thread, that now have reached 4 pages (so far), just shows, that as in the case here with the user Johnny_J, just shows, that there are people "out there" where common sense dont work. No matter what arguments people comes up with, persons like Johnny_J will keep holding on what they believe in, no matter how wrong it is. It's the same kind of people, that claims the Earth are flat.
I will say to you Johnny_J, that before you write a thread start as you did here, then investigate carefully, what is facts in what you claim, and what is ''stories'' on the Internet, without any facts.

"Analyzing" this thread obviously boosted your low self-esteem. Bravo! I hope you feel better.
Regarding facts and fiction: To me this thread did a lot to clarify fly-away issues. I surely have learned a lot, both about the drone and it's qualities but also what, some strange, some qualified members are in this group. (Yes, I'm sure you jump to conclusion and put me in the former group now but that is ok if you just feel better by that).
2021-8-18
Use props
Ph3onix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2341886 ft
France

2021-8-18
Use props
Johnny_J
Second Officer

Sweden

2021-8-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

GregT. Posted at 8-18 04:07
Coold down mate.I think you need to take less dope and alcohol it is doing you no good!

Another idiot ... there's no room for any more in this thread.
Go somewhere else to spout your nonsense.
2021-8-18
Use props
Johnny_J
Second Officer

Sweden

Labroides Posted at 8-18 05:22
Another idiot ... there's no room for any more in this thread.
Go somewhere else to spout your nonsense.

I know you also call me an idiot but the fact is that I've learned a lot from you and others on this flyaway issue. I've also learned that there are members of this forum who are happy to be condescending for whatever reason. When they do that to me I reply. Hence I'm declared an idiot.
Strange members ...
2021-8-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Johnny_J Posted at 8-18 05:50
I know you also call me an idiot but the fact is that I've learned a lot from you and others on this flyaway issue. I've also learned that there are members of this forum who are happy to be condescending for whatever reason. When they do that to me I reply. Hence I'm declared an idiot.
Strange members ...

the fact is that I've learned a lot from you and others on this flyaway issue.
Have you learned that there's no flyaway issue?

I've also learned that there are members of this forum who are happy to be condescending for whatever reason. When they do that to me I reply. Hence I'm declared an idiot.
If you act like an idiot, you should expect to be treated as one.

Do you actually have a drone?

2021-8-18
Use props
Johnny_J
Second Officer

Sweden

Labroides Posted at 8-18 05:58
the fact is that I've learned a lot from you and others on this flyaway issue.

Congrats Mate! You just disqualified yourself as trustworthy! Stay off the drugs and your distasteful Australian beer. It will not do you any good!
2021-8-18
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 8-18 05:58
the fact is that I've learned a lot from you and others on this flyaway issue.

Notice that he never answered my request of how can the app cause a flyaway.
2021-8-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Johnny_J Posted at 8-18 06:03
Congrats Mate! You just disqualified yourself as trustworthy! Stay off the drugs and your distasteful Australian beer. It will not do you any good!

So you don't actually have a drone, you still believe your flyaway fantasy.
You find it difficult to answer questions and intend carrying on like an idiot..
2021-8-18
Use props
Johnny_J
Second Officer

Sweden

Labroides Posted at 8-18 06:40
So you don't actually have a drone, you still believe your flyaway fantasy.
You find it difficult to answer questions and intend carrying on like an idiot..

Wow, now it is time to leave. I will not be part of this drug inflicted chaos that is happening now.
I'm outta here!
2021-8-18
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

Johnny_J Posted at 8-18 06:45
Wow, now it is time to leave. I will not be part of this drug inflicted chaos that is happening now.
I'm outta here!

Still, you NEVER answered the question!!!!! HOW CAN THE APP CAUSE A FLYAWAY?
2021-8-18
Use props
robpri
lvl.3
Flight distance : 635066 ft
South Africa

Johnny_J Posted at 8-18 06:45
I'm outta here!

Eventually
2021-8-18
Use props
Johnny_J
Second Officer

Sweden

Mobilehomer Posted at 8-18 06:54
Still, you NEVER answered the question!!!!! HOW CAN THE APP CAUSE A FLYAWAY?

I'm not sure about what you want to accomplish here with that question. I started this thread in order to find out what could cause a drone to fly away. Hence I'm the questioner, not the answerer.
I have got my answers as previously stated. I've also found out that most of you in this thread are happy to be mean and ungraceful. I know that you will blame me to be an idiot etc but that is not my problem. I'm content with who I am and I have most probably more knowledge of technical stuff that the major part of you members who enjoy insulting me.
2021-8-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Johnny_J Posted at 8-18 07:08
I'm not sure about what you want to accomplish here with that question. I started this thread in order to find out what could cause a drone to fly away. Hence I'm the questioner, not the answerer.
I have got my answers as previously stated. I've also found out that most of you in this thread are happy to be mean and ungraceful. I know that you will blame me to be an idiot etc but that is not my problem. I'm content with who I am and I have most probably more knowledge of technical stuff that the major part of you members who enjoy insulting me.

I have most probably more knowledge of technical stuff that the major part of you members who enjoy insulting me.
Why didn't you show any of your superior knowledge?
How much of it is relevant to flying a drone that you don't have?
2021-8-18
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

Here is your OP - "
I've read many stories of lost drones due to fly-away.
How is it possible that a drone suddenly flies far away and possibly dissapears by itself? If that happens it's a major flaw in the software. The computer knows when and where it has started and if the software suddenly instructs the drone to fly a far distance from that then there is no failsafe software involved, GPS or no GPS!

Shape up DJI! That is called Lazy Programming!"

You have ZERO experience and start calling names and giving "reasons" with ZERO personal knowledge. Then Labroides answered your "question" CORRECTLY with good info and you went off on him!!! Go crawl back into your mother's basement and stop bothering the rest of the world!!!
2021-8-18
Use props
djiuser_OHnhiEfG8fHY
New

Italy

Hello everyone, I want to ask a question about what happens when the drone leaves the range of the remote control: is it lost? Doesn't it automatically go back if it goes out of range of the remote control? Thank you all
2021-8-18
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

djiuser_OHnhiEfG8fHY Posted at 8-18 09:29
Hello everyone, I want to ask a question about what happens when the drone leaves the range of the remote control: is it lost? Doesn't it automatically go back if it goes out of range of the remote control? Thank you all

According to the manual, it reverses direction for fifty meters trying to recover signal. If not, another fifty meters. If not then, it initializes RTH. The best thing to do in case of signal loss is to release the joysticks and let the drone do its thing. I have watched video where the Mini 2 was flown a mile away and the controller and IPad were turned off and disconnected from each other. After about five minutes, the drone landed at its home point.
2021-8-18
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

djiuser_OHnhiEfG8fHY Posted at 8-18 09:29

I think the following video will show best what will happen:

2021-8-18
Use props
DubSound
Second Officer
Flight distance : 104459 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Seems like you've read one or two horror stories about flyaways and just pinned all DJI drones as being lazily programmed. I think you need to educate yourself before pinning blame on DJI for something that is a relatively low occurring problem. Not saying it doesn't happen but blaming DJI for being lazy programmers, in this instance, is laughable.
2021-8-18
Use props
fansd6e2c5a8
lvl.1

Canada

Labroides Posted at 8-7 04:32
FYI .. I'm one of the few people who read flight data and analyse the causes of lost drone incidents.
I've looked into over 1000 incidents.
I know what I'm talking about.

Labroides
I had one incident.  Since you are  one of the non-emotional not name calling  people here, I'd love an analysis of my situation.
First question is how do I post flight data?  Shows what I'm describing below.   In my case, light wind perpendicular to the "flight". Did the 2 stick pointed down and towards center of controller (45 deg) as shown on the flight data
Rotors started, I lifted off, got up about 2 ft, as shown by the sticks in the flight data.  The drone immediately flew in reverse into a sand bank 30 ft away and shut down needless to say.  Total flight recording was 6 seconds.   No gps activated.  Nothing on the flight data showing the 2 second errant flight on the flight data.  Sticks were center position.
Didn't even get a chance to activate the camera.
I was able to get most of the sand out and have successfully flown a few times since albeit suspect still issues as can't maintain height without constant checking and adjusting.
If it was something Idid, I want to learn what happened.  I have 4.5 hrs flying under my belt so far so acknowledged rank amateur
Anyone else interested, feedback welcome too.
2021-8-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fansd6e2c5a8 Posted at 8-18 13:29
Labroides
I had one incident.  Since you are  one of the non-emotional not name calling  people here, I'd love an analysis of my situation.
First question is how do I post flight data?  Shows what I'm describing below.   In my case, light wind perpendicular to the "flight". Did the 2 stick pointed down and towards center of controller (45 deg) as shown on the flight data

First question is how do I post flight data?

go to: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
... where you'll find instructions to upload the data to that site and it will give a report
For help interpreting the data you can post a link for the report here.
Or just post the .txt file.

For the incident you described, it would also help if you can describe the place and surface you launched from.
2021-8-18
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I too asked you, how can the app cause a flyaway, as you claimed?
2021-8-18
Use props
djiuser_uvHycXSHA6Qg
New

Spain

DJi drones don't work as well as we thought they would
2021-8-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_uvHycXSHA6Qg Posted at 8-19 08:40

Is that it?
No details you want to share?
What's your drone doing that you think is wrong?
2021-8-19
Use props
fansd6e2c5a8
lvl.1

Canada

Labroides Posted at 8-18 16:24
First question is how do I post flight data?
go to: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
... where you'll find instructions to upload the data to that site and it will give a report

I need to get home from holidays to access my computer.  Will post as soon as I can.  As to the environment, was on a beach, with the launch surface a large flat surface on a piece of driftwood.  The launch area was about double the length and width of the drone.
2021-8-19
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

Expectations and the real understanding of a drones behavior and it's specs differ a lot and depends on peoples knowledge and acceptance of the restrictions of a drone, given by it's specs.
2021-8-20
Use props
Mini2 Flyr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4347785 ft
Australia

Please go and have your medication and stop posting such nonsense. DJI make excellent drones and are the world's leading manufacturer of drones for good reason.
2021-8-20
Use props
hunterws
Second Officer
Flight distance : 382536 ft
United States

Mini2 Flyr Posted at 8-20 04:49
Please go and have your medication and stop posting such nonsense. DJI make excellent drones and are the world's leading manufacturer of drones for good reason.

Having a big head does business no good.  As soon as you think since you're top dog so you can mess with customers and slack on service ............... someone else will take your market share.
The lack of service, is what will kill DJI in time if it stays as it is.
2021-8-20
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hunterws Posted at 8-20 05:59
Having a big head does business no good.  As soon as you think since you're top dog so you can mess with customers and slack on service ............... someone else will take your market share.
The lack of service, is what will kill DJI in time if it stays as it is.

Its not Mini2 Flyr's business and as far as I know DJI have always run their business the same way and they still have about 70% market share.

but yeah, there is a lot of rudeness about of late.

The poster that said "DJi drones don't work as well as we thought they would" could quite simply be
referring to the app issues, for that, he would be 100% correct for many of the users and to be fair,
the issues have been going on far  too long by anyone's standards.
2021-8-20
Use props
djiuser_SiQk3aE8MM37
New
Flight distance : 41965 ft
United States

I would like to share my experiences. I was flying my DJI Mavic Mini on Feb 3, 2022. Due to low temperatures, it started misbehaving. It was just 70m above my head. I pulled the joystick down to bring the drone down. It instead started moving upwards. It was in RC’s connection, still it did not follow the signals. It went as high as 800m until the wind drifted and threw it away elsewhere.
2022-2-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules