ATTI mode can be a life saver!
1859 21 2015-7-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
danno1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1043150 ft
United States

I had my first “fly away-ish” experience today.  I was taking some video over a lake in Northern Wisconsin.  I calibrated the compass and the first flight went fine.  I packed everything up and moved about a mile down the road, put in a fresh battery and started up again.  I did NOT recalibrate the compass as I was so close to the original location.  At first everything seemed normal but after about 10 seconds of flight something went very wrong - the craft veered off hard to the right and the controls had little to no effect on it.  After a few seconds I went to ATTI mode and I was able to get control of the craft again.  Fighting some wind I got it close to back home and for the heck of it went back to ‘P’ mode.  Once again it took off.  Again, I went back to ATTI mode and after a few harrowing battles with the wind I was able to land.  I immediately recalibrate the compass and then restarted the craft (I probably should have done those in the opposite order).  I launched again in ‘P’ mode and had no further issues.  

FYI - I always have VPS off.

I think there are 2 big lessons in this:

1) Don’t panic
2) Learn to fly in ATTI mode before you are forced to.

I can also post the video of the issue if anyone is interested.

2015-7-25
Use props
bastell
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1526929 ft
Australia

Wtg man that would of got your heart pumping lol.
2015-7-25
Use props
lostinthezone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 56732 ft
Canada

Did you check the sensor values before takeoff?

Rob
2015-7-25
Use props
mphelan
lvl.3
Ireland

Good Piloting.... glad it all worked out in the end.
2015-7-25
Use props
Rigworker
lvl.4
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

lostinthezone Posted at 2015-7-26 06:56
Did you check the sensor values before takeoff?

Rob

I was wondering the same. I always do that before arming the motors. I havent had any problems so far and have only calibrated the compass once. All of my flights have been within about 10 miles of the original calibration location.
Certainly agree anout being able to fly in ATTI just in case though.
2015-7-25
Use props
f.maier
lvl.1

Austria

I think you might have had a Problem with magnetic Interferences on which compass problems like this may be the result.
Please make sure that you have enaugh distance to metal Objects also in the ground. Also reinforced concrete or sewer covers can bring Problems like these to life.

The Compass in the P3 is very sensitive to magnetic fields.

If you can't solve the problem by finding a good start/landing point you can try out to set compass calibration from within the P3 in your hands obove the ground to see if the problem may be in the ground... try so find a higher start/landing point.

Hand Starts my be also possible but is not recommend because of personal Danger !
2015-7-25
Use props
HunterBrooks
lvl.4

United States

Ha, I've been practicing more and more in ATTI mode.  I always have a 5-10 mph wind where I fly, and man, my heart is pounding by the time I get that bird on the ground.  LOL
2015-7-25
Use props
kiralyrobertsan
lvl.1

Hungary

Please share the video link
2015-7-26
Use props
heclectic
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Great advice.

Learn ATTI, folks.

Oh and tell everyone else to, too... ;)
2015-7-26
Use props
pidetectives
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>
United States

I always fly mines in ATT mode very seldom I fly in P mode as I have full control of aircraft and I have not had any close call incidents doing so
2015-7-26
Use props
Gabe R
lvl.4

United States

I went to the New pilot experience thing yesterday since one happened to be semi close to me. The guy hosting the program told us something interesting though, he's heard down the grapevine that most flyaways were caused by not doing the full IMU calibration since it was purchased. The last time the IMU was calibrated was back in china. Don't know what truth this holds but it does make some sense. Something to think about if you've never done the full calibration yet.
2015-7-26
Use props
mikedaniels
lvl.2
Flight distance : 48986 ft
United States

pidetectives@ya Posted at 2015-7-26 22:44
I always fly mines in ATT mode very seldom I fly in P mode as I have full control of aircraft and I  ...

Trying to learn ATTI. Do the sticks act differently than GPS? I tried a slow turn-around in ATTI  With the right stick pushed slightly forward, I pushed the left stick slightly to the left for a left turn. The Phantom kept going straight as the Phantom spun in a left circle. Once to Phantom had turned around and faced me the right stick forward had the Phantom flying backward ( or in the same direction it was flying). Is this norm in ATTI or do I have something set wrong?
2015-7-27
Use props
heclectic
lvl.2

United Kingdom

mikedaniels Posted at 2015-7-28 12:28
Trying to learn ATTI. Do the sticks act differently than GPS? I tried a slow turn-around in ATTI   ...

You should find stick control and effect is identical in both modes.

Simply, the difference between ATTI and GPS is that when in GPS, the aircraft's systems compensate for the wind (this is almost entirely at lower speeds and at hover it does entirely). This means when in ATTI, you must allow for the wind. With a littler practise, it becomes second nature to understand exactly what the wind is doing.

What you've to remember (because it's not immediately apparent to us), is that wind is a moving body of air and any machine in that body of air will move along with it at precisely whatever speed it happens to be moving. In fact, it isn't until you fly manually, that you realise just how much even light gusts of wind affect these small machines in flight. This is especially apparent in delicate, low speed manoeuvres... as it appears you've just found out...
2015-7-28
Use props
CrabHawk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7782 ft
  • >>>
United States

Way to go Bro! Often a " panic " sets in but keeping ones head in the flight really helps, There are a few options when things get hairy. i.e....RTH (If GPS) the ATTI which you did, and a few times for myself GO UP! locate and maneuver down I don't know how many times I took my eye off the bird and lost sight. I'm glad you had your whits about you to quickly switch over.  
2015-7-28
Use props
laurence.barton
lvl.4
Flight distance : 53458 ft
United States

For ATTI, anything I need to set other than the three-way switch at the top left on the controller? I've never tried it...
2015-7-28
Use props
pidetectives
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>
United States

heclectic Posted at 2015-7-29 03:04
You should find stick control and effect is identical in both modes.

Simply, the difference betwee ...

My Man My hat goes out to you. All just learn something today that might be in the FCC test later next year (MAYBE)
2015-7-28
Use props
bradneal24
lvl.3
United States

I practice more with my Blade Glimpse than I do my P3. The Blade is all manual, all the time.

Also, remember if the wind speed on the ground is 10-15 mph, it will be substantially higher even at 50 to 75 feet up.

Good job getting that thing back on the ground. As I boast about how much time I spend flying my manual machine, I have never had an emergency situation where I had to switch to ATTI mode. So, once again, good job!

-Brad
2015-7-28
Use props
youngbill
lvl.1

United States

Danno- When you moved to the new location, do you remember if it acquired a new home position? You know the lovely voice that says something like "New home position has been set. Check it on the map. "

I'm wondering if it didn't and the phantom was trying to get back to the previous home point??

Bill
2015-7-28
Use props
danno1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1043150 ft
United States

youngbill@gmail Posted at 2015-7-29 08:29
Danno- When you moved to the new location, do you remember if it acquired a new home position? You k ...

Yes - the new home position was set.  Here is the video of the actual flight from my iPad.  Notice that although I am constantly rotating the craft the compass seems to indicate I am not.  This makes me think the compass was the issue.

2015-8-10
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

I wonder if u would have had the issue if u never had done recalibration on the first flight! Would be been good if u had checked the mod value of compass b4 recalibration the first and second time to have more info. I am glad that you handled the situation well. Good luck
2015-8-10
Use props
KaiserSoze9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 35365551 ft
  • >>>
Italy

ATTI First. Then safety
2015-8-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I love a happy ending where the Phantom gets the girl, or flies back home safely... ;-)

Good for you, keeping  your cool, and getting to enjoy flying another day....

RedHotPoker
2015-8-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules