DJI Air 2S: pictures blurry on the right side
5408 26 2021-8-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fougasse
lvl.2
Flight distance : 303087 ft
Switzerland

I bought an Air 2S last month and I'm a bit disappointed in the picture quality because my pictures are always blurry on the right side, which is an issue I never had with my Phantom 4 Pro V2.0. I've made sure my lens was clean, I've tried recalibrating everything, etc., to no avail. I'm wondering if the issue is present on all units or if it's just mine.

For instance, in this picture:

Here is a comparison of the left, middle, and right of the picture:
See how the right part is clearly blurrier ?

Here's another example:

Again here is a comparison of the left, middle, and right of the picture:
So granted, the left side is a bit blurrier too, probably due to the distortion of the lens, but it's still OK. The right side is insanely blurry though.

And finally, one last example:

Comparison:
Once more, the right side is noticeably blurrier than the rest of the picture.

Here are the original RAW files, password protected but I'll give the password to any admin: https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... YL/view?usp=sharing

2021-8-8
Use props
masterlibrarian
lvl.1
Flight distance : 14672 ft
Greece

I had the very same issue but mine was having the blurred area on the bottom left part. I returned the first drone and the replacement although slightly better has the very same issue in the bottom right corner. I decided to keep it but I agree it is a bit disapointing for this drone to suffer from lens issues...
2021-8-8
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi fougasse, please update the firmware to the latest version and test it again. And please find a clear-textured object, make sure that the relative distance between the aircraft and the object is fixed. And then please capture the subject at a clear position for the lens, and then capture the subject in a fuzzy position for better comparison.
2021-8-8
Use props
fougasse
lvl.2
Switzerland

DJI Mindy Posted at 8-8 22:48
Hi fougasse, please update the firmware to the latest version and test it again. And please find a clear-textured object, make sure that the relative distance between the aircraft and the object is fixed. And then please capture the subject at a clear position for the lens, and then capture the subject in a fuzzy position for better comparison.

Here you go, I updated the firmware today. My "object" is simply a print of a test chart for cameras:
DJI_0240_left.jpg DJI_0240_middle.jpg DJI_0240_right.jpg
I believe it is also visible here that the right side is blurrier than the left.

DNG file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... 6d/view?usp=sharing

2021-8-10
Use props
fougasse
lvl.2
Switzerland

Also, since it's a horizontal blur, it's more visible if you compare the vertical stripes.
DJI_0240_left2.jpg DJI_0240_right2.jpg
The stripes marked "2" on the left side are mostly distinct, whereas on the right side they are a lot more merged together. Even the number "2" is not readable on the right side.
2021-8-10
Use props
jwp721
lvl.3
Flight distance : 332822 ft
United States

fougasse Posted at 8-10 07:40
Here you go, I updated the firmware today. My "object" is simply a print of a test chart for cameras:[view_image]
I believe it is also visible here that the right side is blurrier than the left.

May be me but your two side test charts look like they are slightly crooked compared to the center one?  All three should be on the same focal plane to test....
2021-8-10
Use props
fougasse
lvl.2
United Kingdom

The point is to put all three charts at the same distance of the camera. Anyway, it's irrelevant that the middle chart isn't on the same focal plane, since the point is more to compare the left chart to the right chart here.
2021-8-10
Use props
BEN_M16
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5454557 ft
  • >>>
Spain

I have the exact same problem with my DJI AIR 2S.

The image on the right is less sharp and less in focus than the center or left image.

I'm afraid this cannot be fixed by firmware, as it is a physical misalignment of the lenses with respect to the sensor.

My first AIR 2S (manufactured in April 2021) looked perfect on all corners and sides of the image, but I had to return it because it had a bad motor bearing.

The next one they gave me was manufactured in January 2021, all motors well, but with this problem in the image. About 8% of the right part of the image less sharp than the rest.

I think this is a failure in the DJI assembly line, possibly due to the pandemic they have lowered the quality of components, or the quality of assembly, because they had never ever given me a physically bad drone as soon as I opened it from the box like the one. first DJI AIR 2s that I have commented on before.

During the pandemic, I bought a DJI pocket 2 combo, and it came with another manufacturing defect, where it was never aligned with the horizon. I changed it for another, and this one was fine, but it has the defect that some oil comes out of the gimbal motors. In addition, the quality of the rubber of the grip is worse than that of the pocket 1.

Ultimately, I think DJI has lowered the quality of its products, I don't know if it was to save costs, or because of a lack of qualified labor.

Hopefully they can fix it via software (firmware) but I am very afraid that it is something physical from the drone.
Comment that my drone is updated to the latest version, also the remote control and the batteries.  The lens is perfectly clean and transparent throughout, and the microsd card is a 64gb Sandisk Extreme Plus.
2021-8-11
Use props
fougasse
lvl.2
Netherlands

masterlibrarian Posted at 8-8 22:17
I had the very same issue but mine was having the blurred area on the bottom left part. I returned the first drone and the replacement although slightly better has the very same issue in the bottom right corner. I decided to keep it but I agree it is a bit disapointing for this drone to suffer from lens issues...

How did you manage to get your drone replaced?
2021-8-11
Use props
fougasse
lvl.2
Switzerland

DJI Mindy Posted at 8-8 22:48

DJI Mindy, did you see my new picture? Is it satisfactory?
2021-8-12
Use props
fougasse
lvl.2
Switzerland

Since the issue is a horizontal blur, I used vertical stripes on whole pages to make it more clear :

DJI_0248_left.jpg DJI_0248_right.jpg

As you can see on the right side, the lines are so blurry that they completely blend in together. There are essentially 300-500 pixels on the right of every picture that are blurrier than the rest.

DNG file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... XN/view?usp=sharing

2021-8-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

fougasse Posted at 8-15 09:57
Since the issue is a horizontal blur, I used vertical stripes on whole pages to make it more clear :[view_image]

Thanks for the information. We are sorry for the inconvenience. As the four corners are located at the edge of the camera's FOV during capturing with the DJI Air 2S, the amount of light entering will be less than that of the object in the middle of the lens. Thus, the lens resolution capability at the corners will be decreased, and the corners of the image may be blurry.  
We recommended that you adjust the appropriate shooting angle to ensure that the target is at the center of the lens. We will also report the issue you encounter to our engineer for analysis. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2021-9-7
Use props
djiuser_vhdpQzvW3yQR
New

United States

I just received my new Air 2S as a replacement for my Mavic Air 2. I expected the photos to be far better with the Air 2S, but they're not. They're all soft whereas the Mavic Air 2 was tack sharp. The answer that DJI Mindy gave is unsatisfactory. You can encounter this issue with any camera and it generally means that there's either a defective lens element, or they're not properly aligned. Your camera is under warranty - send it back. Mine is going back.
2021-12-1
Use props
AWDstylez
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2561562 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just wanted to hop on this bandwagon. My Air2S originally had blurry corners, which I'd totally expect because it's a crap quality, ultra-wide, f2.8 lens. But the center was sharp and that's what mattered.

However, at complete random something has shifted and there is now a top/bottom focal plane misalignment. The bottom 1/3 of the image is tack sharp, the middle is badly ghosted (like a crosseyed image), and the top 1/3 is totally out of focus. Had this same issue (albeit a left/right misalignment) on the X5S as well, along with nearly everyone else that owns an X5S.
DJI support will undoubtedly chalk this up to "depth of field", as will the more inexperienced users. But this is bull. It's a 22mm lens that has an infinity focus distance of a few feet, so even the above posted examples with the charts at slightly different distances are perfectly valid. And there is certainly nothing in any aerial photo that is closer than infinity.

DJI support gave that same response to X5S owners - who then turned around and shimmed one side of the lens mount (not an option here), fixing the issue. It's NOT a depth-of-field problem.
You'll notice on the below examples that "top" isn't even really the top, it's the high-center and completely unusable quality.

bottom.jpg
center.jpg
top.jpg
2021-12-30
Use props
AWDstylez
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

For comparison, here's an example from a good Air2S in the same areas of the photo - bottom, center, high-center.

2021-12-30
Use props
fansd8755c2d
lvl.1

Slovakia

Guys, i am battling with same problem. Find two blurry spots, near center. For me it looks like physical problem. I took shots of flat screen with small black text on white background. Tried my best to align the focus plane as much as possible. Drone was on fixed platform to ensure stability ...  blur spots still occurs. I am clueless.
2022-1-1
Use props
djiuser_HHxRNJKjqTIR
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1061145 ft
United Kingdom

I looked at quite a few sample Air 2S shots before buying one. Many of them had a blurry right edge. I tested mine, and it was a blurry mess top and middle right. After seeing sample shots, my supplier replaced it without question. I suspect the elements were de-centred. The replacement is nice and even, with the expected slight softening all round at the edges. The lenses on a camera like this will not be very sophisticated, and rely on a lot of software correction of distortion, vignetting and chromatic aberration. This results in a loss of sharpness and contrast on the edges which require the most software correction. We can at least expect this to be even left to right and top to bottom. With the 3:2 aspect ratio, the sides will tend to be worse as they are further from the centre of the lens.
2022-1-2
Use props
AWDstylez
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_HHxRNJKjqTIR Posted at 1-2 12:55
I looked at quite a few sample Air 2S shots before buying one. Many of them had a blurry right edge. I tested mine, and it was a blurry mess top and middle right. After seeing sample shots, my supplier replaced it without question. I suspect the elements were de-centred. The replacement is nice and even, with the expected slight softening all round at the edges. The lenses on a camera like this will not be very sophisticated, and rely on a lot of software correction of distortion, vignetting and chromatic aberration. This results in a loss of sharpness and contrast on the edges which require the most software correction. We can at least expect this to be even left to right and top to bottom. With the 3:2 aspect ratio, the sides will tend to be worse as they are further from the centre of the lens.

Who was willing to actually exchange the drone? This is very obviously a common issue, but good luck if anyone thinks they're going to get DJI support to comprehend the problem let alone replace the drone or camera. It is absolutely a physical issue with the lens or pressure being applied to the sensor causing it to be off the plane with the lens elements.
2022-3-14
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

Someone stated that removing the lens cover that you would replace with an ND filter clears up the problem. I have not tested this theory.
2022-3-14
Use props
komasi
New
Slovenia

As many have stated already - this is a physical issue and will not be affected by firmware. Anyone who has ever used an old lens can attest to it. Whether it's an issue with lens or sensor mounting is beyond me, but DJI should not try to put blame on the user like that.
2022-3-15
Use props
AWDstylez
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

videoeditman Posted at 3-14 12:00
Someone stated that removing the lens cover that you would replace with an ND filter clears up the problem. I have not tested this theory.

Unfortunately that's false, because it occurs the same with any ND/UV filter or none at all.
2022-3-19
Use props
BingBong
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1061145 ft
United Kingdom

AWDstylez Posted at 3-14 11:27
Who was willing to actually exchange the drone? This is very obviously a common issue, but good luck if anyone thinks they're going to get DJI support to comprehend the problem let alone replace the drone or camera. It is absolutely a physical issue with the lens or pressure being applied to the sensor causing it to be off the plane with the lens elements.

I bought mine from Wex in the UK as they are a quality photographic dealer, and understand about de-centred lenses and so on, and have a great reputation for customer service. They deal with a third party who presumably has to sort out the problems with DJI. I deliberately avoided buying direct from DJI, expecting problems if I got a faulty copy.
2022-6-2
Use props
Frostfrpg
lvl.2
United States

When I first got my Air 2s last June, the images were tic-tack sharp. It must have taken a jolt along the line because it suddenly developed a problem not unlike yours. By using Topaz AI sharpening tools, I can make make most daytime images acceptable, but not night images. I have recalibrated multiple times. I got it from Best Buy, along with a Geek Squad protection program. They offered to take it back and let me take a new one but I would have had to buy the whole protection plan all over again. If they had prorated the protection plan price by factoring in the six months I had owned the drone, I would have gone for it. It just didn't seem fair to have to buy a while new protection plan so I held onto it and am doing the best I can until I can buy a new drone, probably one of the Mavic 3's. This time, I will buy a DJI protection plan.
2023-2-15
Use props
NADIRICA
lvl.2
Flight distance : 200732 ft
  • >>>
Turkey

I have the same problem with my air2s. The upper left corner is clearly blurred. It doesn't get fixed with the update. All photos have this problem.I need urgent support.

2023-5-18
Use props
Edugarcya
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4399495 ft

Brazil

Same thing happens with my DJI AIR 2S: blur on the right side (center to right) of the camera.
I've already done all the cleaning procedures, firmware updates, calibrations, etc... nothing helps.
It's definitely something physical inside the camera/CMOS. I lost two jobs due to this DJI problem, as the contractor is extremely demanding in relation to photographs and videos, as he understood with the clinical eye of an expert in photographs and cinematic films.
It's a shame we don't have a valid solution.

HELP US DJI!

I'm Brazil.

4-16 10:50
Use props
Edugarcya
lvl.2

Brazil

Edugarcya Posted at 4-16 10:50
Same thing happens with my DJI AIR 2S: blur on the right side (center to right) of the camera.
I've already done all the cleaning procedures, firmware updates, calibrations, etc... nothing helps.
It's definitely something physical inside the camera/CMOS. I lost two jobs due to this DJI problem, as the contractor is extremely demanding in relation to photographs and videos, as he understood with the clinical eye of an expert in photographs and cinematic films.

Notice on the right the street pavement and the stripes on the sports courts. The blur is clear...
4-16 10:51
Use props
Edugarcya
lvl.2

Brazil

BingBong Posted at 2022-6-2 06:32
I bought mine from Wex in the UK as they are a quality photographic dealer, and understand about de-centred lenses and so on, and have a great reputation for customer service. They deal with a third party who presumably has to sort out the problems with DJI. I deliberately avoided buying direct from DJI, expecting problems if I got a faulty copy.

That's exactly what I think too...
A game of LUCK vs LUCK. It's a shame this happened...
4-16 10:54
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules