Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Crashed a borrowed P4P+ yesterday. Help, please!
1507 15 2021-8-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dwin1977
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2730026 ft
  • >>>
United States

Could anyone please help with the flight data review? The entire flight from launch to failure is under one minute. These novice eyes see nothing here to indicate catastrophic failure. All was nominal until I heard the rotors simply shut down and I watched it fall. In fact the battery was still powered up and the cooling fan running when I walked up to it. Any feedback is appreciated more than I can tell you.

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/2SUFZL20X3O4XANRJ0BJ

2021-8-8
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Not much to see there. No burn marks around battery connection?  
2021-8-8
Use props
dwin1977
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 8-8 13:09
Not much to see there. No burn marks around battery connection?

Thank you for looking! Great question. Just checked. No burn marks on battery or housing. No residual burn smell either. I'm pretty sure I can eliminate pilot error. Would you agree with that?
2021-8-8
Use props
dwin1977
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

dwin1977 Posted at 8-8 13:13
Thank you for looking! Great question. Just checked. No burn marks on battery or housing. No residual burn smell either. I'm pretty sure I can eliminate pilot error. Would you agree with that?

I mean, it's not a matter of liability. It happened on my watch. But every pilot can always get better.
2021-8-8
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

There's no indication of a battery problem, the battery was fully charged at the start and still had plenty when data stops.
You were flying very slowly when things stop, no sudden or extreme joystick input.
There's no indication of a collision with anything.

The data just stops with the drone still 97 feet up, which suggests a sudden total loss of power.

But the cause is a mystery.
Perhaps the battery was not properly locked in and it was able to ease out enough to break the connection?
2021-8-8
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there dwin1977.  I am sorry to read and to know what happened and thank you for reaching out. Since this unfortunate incident happened to the said DJI drone. I would recommend for you to contact our DJI Support Team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance. We have a team that will do there best to help and will give out the best resolution for this issue. DJI will perform a data analysis service for products under warranty to determine the cause of the accident and provide the proper resolution. If it is evaluated as a non-pilot error, the warranty service will be provided. Again I am sorry and thank you.
2021-8-8
Use props
dwin1977
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 8-8 16:53
There's no indication of a battery problem, the battery was fully charged at the start and still had plenty when data stops.
You were flying very slowly when things stop, no sudden or extreme joystick input.
There's no indication of a collision with anything.

Thank you for the review. That is a possibility. Strange that it was still connected when I got to it but who knows? I even considered an EMP event! So I immediatley sent up my Air 2 to the same location. No issues at all.
2021-8-8
Use props
dwin1977
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 8-8 17:36
Hello there dwin1977.  I am sorry to read and to know what happened and thank you for reaching out. Since this unfortunate incident happened to the said DJI drone. I would recommend for you to contact our DJI Support Team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance. We have a team that will do there best to help and will give out the best resolution for this issue. DJI will perform a data analysis service for products under warranty to determine the cause of the accident and provide the proper resolution. If it is evaluated as a non-pilot error, the warranty service will be provided. Again I am sorry and thank you.

I did send it in. But since it is not under warranty I was denied any help. That's why I came here for, I'm sorry, but better support.
2021-8-8
Use props
HarryUK
lvl.2
Flight distance : 42510 ft

United Kingdom

dwin1977 Posted at 8-8 18:14
I did send it in. But since it is not under warranty I was denied any help. That's why I came here for, I'm sorry, but better support.

Sorry to hear. I'd assumed that if the machine fell down for no known reasons, DJI would consider some help regardless of warranty status.
OP, did you check the area to see if the drone may have collided with some  thin, invisible electric cables, etc?
2021-8-23
Use props
dwin1977
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

They have said they will review the data but I'm going to wait until they can reply. Honestly, I'm just looking for a ballpark repair cost before deciding to pay for the repair and return it to the borrowee or to pay for the repair on top of buying the drone. Either way it happened on my watch. Do I think it was a critical failure on the onus of the drone? Yes I do. Is anything that man makes perfect? Nope. I'm just wanting information to make a decision.
2021-8-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

HarryUK Posted at 8-23 14:09
Sorry to hear. I'd assumed that if the machine fell down for no known reasons, DJI would consider some help regardless of warranty status.
OP, did you check the area to see if the drone may have collided with some  thin, invisible electric cables, etc?

I'd assumed that if the machine fell down for no known reasons, DJI would consider some help regardless of warranty status.
You assumed incorrectly.
That's not how warranties work.

The flight data showed there was no collision with anything.
2021-8-23
Use props
dwin1977
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Update: They now will review the data for $65.00 USD. It's dang sure not under warranty so I feel like they are going to provide me with information to plan the best course forward. I still feel like it was a catastrophic failure of the equipment but I live by a standard, "Man is not perferfect so NOTHING we create will ever achieve that status." No drone was ever designed to live forever. So far I feel they are meeting me halfway.
2021-8-24
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Good luck chap
2021-8-31
Use props
dwin1977
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Update: They did give me back real good data! The conclusion was a catastrophic internal failure occurred. Out of warranty so there you have that. Fair enough. It's just too old to pursue repair. No gripes.  
2022-5-17
Use props
Courageous
lvl.4
Flight distance : 58327 ft

United States

Mmmmm,   "castrophic internal failure".   That is interesting wording.  Was there anything in the report more specific than that?   I would think if you had to pay the shipping and they charged you for the evaluation, that there would be a little more information provided.   (e.g. what component or components broke, burned up, or otherwise upchucked and died?)  
2022-5-18
Use props
dwin1977
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Courageous Posted at 5-18 09:14
Mmmmm,   "castrophic internal failure".   That is interesting wording.  Was there anything in the report more specific than that?   I would think if you had to pay the shipping and they charged you for the evaluation, that there would be a little more information provided.   (e.g. what component or components broke, burned up, or otherwise upchucked and died?)

No sir. That's all they said. But all I sent was the flight data so they didn't have the physical drone itself. I just walked away from it. **it happens.
2022-11-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules