Should the Mavic 2 Pro replacement be rain proof?
1279 51 2021-8-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansecd98752 Posted at 8-13 19:38
Rain-proof drone would open up a whole new world at least for me. I almost don't want to think about how nice it would be because it sounds like a pipe dream

During thunderstorms, it's possible to lose the drone through a lightning strike though.
2021-8-13
Use props
NickelPlate
lvl.3
Flight distance : 506073 ft
United States

Rain water unfortunately can be very corrosive to electronics, metals and hardware. I think it would add a lot of cost for DJI to make a fully rainproof drone. Essentially it would have to survive being submerged and heavy driving rains can force water into the smallest of gaps. You can conformal coat the electronics but you still have to dissipate heat on things like processors and the battery which requires fresh air circulation or heatsinking to the outside. Then there is the issue of water getting into the motor bearings, even if they're sealed or ceramic which is definitely not a good thing, rust, dirt corrosion etc.
2021-9-23
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

NickelPlate Posted at 9-23 10:41
Rain water unfortunately can be very corrosive to electronics, metals and hardware. I think it would add a lot of cost for DJI to make a fully rainproof drone. Essentially it would have to survive being submerged and heavy driving rains can force water into the smallest of gaps. You can conformal coat the electronics but you still have to dissipate heat on things like processors and the battery which requires fresh air circulation or heatsinking to the outside. Then there is the issue of water getting into the motor bearings, even if they're sealed or ceramic which is definitely not a good thing, rust, dirt corrosion etc.

Have you seen the splash drone...

2021-9-23
Use props
NickelPlate
lvl.3
United States

DAFlys Posted at 9-23 12:12
Have you seen the splash drone...

Impressive. It's pricey though!
2021-9-23
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

NickelPlate Posted at 9-23 12:32
Impressive. It's pricey though!

About $2400 IIRC which is what the Mavic 3 is rumoured to start at.
2021-9-23
Use props
NickelPlate
lvl.3
United States

DAFlys Posted at 9-23 12:34
About $2400 IIRC which is what the Mavic 3 is rumoured to start at.

I didn't see any collision avoidance though.
2021-9-23
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

NickelPlate Posted at 9-23 12:36
I didn't see any collision avoidance though.

I think there is room for some middle ground,   rain proof rather than submersible and then have the better camera, OC3 and OA.   
2021-9-23
Use props
NickelPlate
lvl.3
United States

DAFlys Posted at 9-23 12:38
I think there is room for some middle ground,   rain proof rather than submersible and then have the better camera, OC3 and OA.

It definitely is impressive if it really manages to be fully waterproof. I'll have to check out some reviews.
2021-9-23
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

NickelPlate Posted at 9-23 12:40
It definitely is impressive if it really manages to be fully waterproof. I'll have to check out some reviews.

He lands it in water and even turns it upside down and used the drone to self right itself before taking off.   Even the remote is water proof too.
2021-9-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Rain and camera drones don’t mix, yes you can fly in the rain but wouldn’t do it for long. But its almost impossible to get any footage or photos because lens is covered in rain so pointless.
2021-9-23
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 9-23 15:45
Rain and camera drones don’t mix, yes you can fly in the rain but wouldn’t do it for long. But its almost impossible to get any footage or photos because lens is covered in rain so pointless.

The splash drone has a coating on the lens to dispel the water.  And you can drive it about like a boat and see under the water with the camera.
2021-9-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

DAFlys Posted at 9-23 23:33
The splash drone has a coating on the lens to dispel the water.  And you can drive it about like a boat and see under the water with the camera.

The quality of footage and photos has always been a problem with these drones, ok for industrial needs but photography not so good.
2021-9-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules