Trouble with Lexar 256GB 633x card
1081 13 2021-8-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Instantek
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hello all,

Just got a mini 2 the other day and super impressed with how straightforward it is to use.

I wasn't aware of the recommended SD card list until yesterday and got myself a Lexar V30 633x U3 A1 256GB card but it turns out this card does not work properly with the mini 2. First time powering on with it, it is recognised and lists recording time/number of pictures etc, but subsequently get 'SD card malfunction' and the drone will not format the card.

After formatting on a laptop the card is again recognised in the drone, and allowed me to record one test video, but the second failed and again got an SD card error. The first test video was OK to play on the laptop but the second simply did not exist on the card.

Now I know about the recommended card list I have purchased the recommended Sandisk Extreme V30 U3 A2 256GB card, fingers crossed it will work properly!

The odd thing is that smaller sizes of the same card (32GB 64GB 128GB) are on the list (here near the bottom https://www.dji.com/uk/mini-2/specs)

Just a FYI/PSA for anyone looking to get one of these cards! Hope this helps.
2021-8-9
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

You might consider buying smaller sized cards. The general wisdom is that one large card means if it is lost then you have lost more videos or photos.
2021-8-9
Use props
Instantek
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Thanks Geebax,

I've used various SD cards over the years so I am aware of the failure risks especially with car dashcams that record constantly with the limited rewrite capacity they have but this seems different. With the write speed suggested by several youtubers at 100Mbps/12.5MB/s for 4k (maybe at 24fps?)  the Lexar card looks like plenty rated at 45MB/s for writes but clearly something is amiss here especially considering the lower capacity versions are supposed to work. I guess I will know tomorrow once putting the new card in.

I have an idea why this may be, but I have no way to test it right now. I might be able to test it once I recieve the new SD card.

2021-8-9
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi, Instantek. We're glad to know that you already manage to isolate the issue that you had experience by changing your SD card. Please don't hesitate to reach us if you have other inquiries or concerns. Thank you for your support and happy flying!
2021-8-9
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Philippines

The maximum bitrate Mini 2 utilizes is 100 Mbps, so yes, you only need 12.5 MBps sustained write speed. Have you checked the card on the PC ? I would try filling it up testing the files copied to the card for integrity...
2021-8-9
Use props
Instantek
lvl.1
United Kingdom

CemAygun Posted at 8-9 19:09
The maximum bitrate Mini 2 utilizes is 100 Mbps, so yes, you only need 12.5 MBps sustained write speed. Have you checked the card on the PC ? I would try filling it up testing the files copied to the card for integrity...

Hey CemAgyun,

Yep I did a full format of the Lexar in the laptop and it took some time but the card appears to be fine from the laptop's perspective. I've got the sandisk card now in the drone and I've done a couple (literally 2) few second test vids on it indoors without taking off. About to go out now and see if it works after a power off/on. Will update this before too long.

Cheers
2021-8-10
Use props
Instantek
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Well, I appear to be in the same position as before.

The new sandisk card is now showing a malfunction and will not record any footage or format the card. I can see some preview photos/vids on the drone itself but nothing past the two test videos mentioned above exist on the card when in the laptop. I guess I will be opening a ticket with DJI to get to the bottom of it.
2021-8-10
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Philippines

Instantek Posted at 8-10 11:56
Well, I appear to be in the same position as before.

The new sandisk card is now showing a malfunction and will not record any footage or format the card. I can see some preview photos/vids on the drone itself but nothing past the two test videos mentioned above exist on the card when in the laptop. I guess I will be opening a ticket with DJI to get to the bottom of it.

Unfortunately it seems to be the drone . I would open a ticket but at the same time test the cards with something like H2testw or FakeFlashTest as proof that it is not the cards...
2021-8-10
Use props
Instantek
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hey CemAygun,

Yep I have just opened a ticket. Both of the cards are brand new from amazon but I'll put them through the paces with the utilities you mentioned just to check though I have no reason to believe they're dodgy in any way!

Thanks for your input
2021-8-10
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Philippines

Instantek Posted at 8-10 12:19
Hey CemAygun,

Yep I have just opened a ticket. Both of the cards are brand new from amazon but I'll put them through the paces with the utilities you mentioned just to check though I have no reason to believe they're dodgy in any way!

You are welcome Hope you get it resolved soon....
2021-8-10
Use props
Instantek
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Somewhat bemused by the results to be honest though they are both above the minimums I guess. I chose ex-FAT with default block size for both cards.

Lexar

Sandisk

Not sure if this is due to my laptop SD slot or how I have formatted them but either way they should be above what is required.
2021-8-11
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Philippines

Well at least you now have irrefutable proof that your cards are not the problem. Did you have a chance to try anything smaller in capacity? Don't worry about the speed, just give it a try if you have anything lying around (and have not shipped the drone yet).
2021-8-11
Use props
Instantek
lvl.1
United Kingdom

CemAygun Posted at 8-11 17:26
Well at least you now have irrefutable proof that your cards are not the problem. Did you have a chance to try anything smaller in capacity? Don't worry about the speed, just give it a try if you have anything lying around (and have not shipped the drone yet).

Hi,

Yes, today I have tried a Samsung Evo Plus 128GB with the same result - "SD card malfunction". DJI have taken my address details now so hopefully the wheels are in motion for a replacement/fix.

Cheers
2021-8-13
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Philippines

Instantek Posted at 8-13 10:45
Hi,

Yes, today I have tried a Samsung Evo Plus 128GB with the same result - "SD card malfunction". DJI have taken my address details now so hopefully the wheels are in motion for a replacement/fix.

Ah ok, hope you get the replacement soon,

Cheers
2021-8-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules