Emergency landing.
1581 7 2021-8-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

A frightening thing happened shortly after this photo was taken.
As you can see, I was way out over water and i flew out from land that was way behind me.
According to the battery indicator, I had about 32% left. More than enough to get back, even following the beach, rather than the direct path over water. The warning was set at the default of 30% and a few seconds later, the warning came. I had to return home immediately.
You should know that as planned, the wind was blowing at 12 MPH towards home and that the battery was believed to be in good condition. However, I hadn't flown with it for quite a while. Regular maintainance charges were given during the down time.
I planned to return following the coast. I didn't consider this necessary, but why take unessessary chances?
Seconds later, the 6 minuit flying time remaining suddenly dropped to 5 minutes.
I was already losing altitude and heading towards the beach.
A couple seconds later, the 5 minutes dropped to 4 minutes.
I wasn't sure now that I could reach land at all.
I hoped the steady glide path down to the beach might be the best of my limited options. However, I hadn't experienced such a sudden loss of charge and this was unknown territory for me.
I had reached a point off the small stone pier and my first instinct was to land there. However, there were children playing ther and also on that part of the beach. I dare not go near them in cast the drone fell out of the sky.
You may notice a small path across the grass on the extreme left of the picture. I could see a small beached boat and some clothing on the beach at that point. I couldn't see anyone actually on that part of the beach. I would try and reach it or drop in the sea.
The drone warned that it was landing, regardless. I was still about 500 metres away from the chosen spot and it was necessary to cancel the forced landing process.
Not being familiar with this degree of finality, I admit, I fumbled the cancel process and lost precious seconds. The drone was now headding back out to sea, towards home but dropping towards the sea.
I tilted the camera down a bit in the hope of spotting a nearer landing spot on the waters edge.
The tide was coming in, and hard sand is not a good place to fall from the sky. The pile of clothes and beached boat worried me. Could there be someone there that I hadn't seen?
I headed for the soft sand and tried to land. As you know, with bland surfaces, the drone is reluctant to land where directed.
Everything went black on the screen.
It took me 5 minutes to drive to the crash site.
What would I find?
It occured to me that some barsteward might pick up the drone and begger off with it.
OK, I found it! A soft landing in the fine sand and the lights were still flashing.
Panic over, shut a through clean and a fresh battery for the afternoon flight.
Thank goodness for pre-planning.

Shot 1.jpg
2021-8-10
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great Shot    and Glad you found the drone.
2021-8-11
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Jersey

DAFlys Posted at 8-11 01:24
Great Shot    and Glad you found the drone.

Thanks, much appreciated.
2021-8-11
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AlansDronePics Posted at 8-11 06:33
Thanks, much appreciated.

You're very welcome.
2021-8-11
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there AlansDronePics. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for these information that you have given. It is great to know that you were able to get your DJI drone back. If in the future and you feel that the said DJI drone is not working properly. Kindly please contact our DJI support team for assistance. Again, I am sorry for the trouble and by the ways that photo you have posted is wonderful.
2021-8-11
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Jersey

DJI Stephen Posted at 8-11 21:59
Hello there AlansDronePics. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for these information that you have given. It is great to know that you were able to get your DJI drone back. If in the future and you feel that the said DJI drone is not working properly. Kindly please contact our DJI support team for assistance. Again, I am sorry for the trouble and by the ways that photo you have posted is wonderful.

Thank you, but it is old age (battery) that is the problem and is to be expected.
2021-8-11
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

AlansDronePics Posted at 8-11 22:14
Thank you, but it is old age (battery) that is the problem and is to be expected.

Hi there AlansDronePics. Thank you for the reply and for these additional information. The lifespan and condition of the battery will depend on the totality of how it was used and stored. Hoping for your kind understanding that every electronic product and batteries has a certain warranty period and lifespan. For safety purposes please do not use bloated or bulging batteries when flying or operating your drone so that the drone's performance will not be affected or compromised . Using bloated or bulging batteries might lead to damaging of the aircraft, or worse, damage to property. Again thank you and fly safe always.
2021-8-12
Use props
Bad05ford
lvl.1

United States

Leave the battery at storage charge.  I routinely fly rc aircraft with lipo batteries and generally fly down to storage of 3.6-3.8v per cell.  Not sure since I haven't gotten the drone from my buddy yet if dji shows cell voltage or only a percentage.  If only percentage I'd be looking to land at about 30% IMO.
2021-8-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules