DJI Mini 2 stuck in hover
766 3 2021-8-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dgorini
lvl.1

Canada

Hi,

I experienced a strage behaviour and hope someone here can tell me what went wrong.

I was in the middle of the ocean following a speed boat that I was in, then at some point I got the usual low battery warning from the remote control, and without thinking too much I press the 'cancel' button to prevent any attempt to Return to Home.

After that sequence of events, we stopped the speed boat so I could manually fly the drone back in, but then something weird happened, the drone was not responding to any Pitch or Roll control, basically the right stick was dead.    The Throttle and Yaw controls were still functional.

Fortunatelly we were able to turn the boat around and catch the drone by hand, but I am still trying to figure out what happened!

Did I experience a Software Glitch ?  Did the drone hover because it detected the remote control was far away from the original RTH location ??

Thanks

2021-8-13
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The battery's failsafe kicked in because it was below 10% I think it is (may be a bit less than that) and  it was wanting to land but I bet the movement and reflective properties of the water was preventing that, so it hovered there...
Sommat along those lines. I am sure someone will correct it for me
2021-8-13
Use props
dgorini
lvl.1

Canada

Bashy Posted at 8-13 19:38
The battery's failsafe kicked in because it was below 10% I think it is (may be a bit less than that) and  it was wanting to land but I bet the movement and reflective properties of the water was preventing that, so it hovered there...
Sommat along those lines. I am sure someone will correct it for me

Right... That makes sense.

Searching for "battery failsafe" I ended up finding this page https://store.dji.com/guides/how-to-use-the-djis-return-to-home/ .  Under "Low Battery RTH:" it says: "... If the battery power is critically low, then the drone will automatically land itself, and this can’t be canceled by the pilot....".

Now I think what I experienced was a battery issue, because it went from flying normal to "critical low" without any previous warning.
2021-8-13
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

dgorini Posted at 8-13 23:00
Right... That makes sense.

Searching for "battery failsafe" I ended up finding this page https://store.dji.com/guides/how-to-use-the-djis-return-to-home/ .  Under "Low Battery RTH:" it says: "... If the battery power is critically low, then the drone will automatically land itself, and this can’t be canceled by the pilot....".

That can happen for a few reasons, drawing too much power due to the wind conditions, taking off with a partially full battery etc
2021-8-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules