Smooth panning
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cheddar-man
Second Officer
Flight distance : 44062 ft

United Kingdom

I am trying to improve my panninign on my P3A.Which of these expo settings will give me the smoothest panning, the slowest response to stick movement

IMG_8939 22.05.34.jpg IMG_8955.jpg

IMG_8939 22.05.34.jpg
2021-8-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

The flatter curve.
2021-8-19
Use props
cheddar-man
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Umm, very jerky using that, haven't tried it with the other setting yet.
2021-8-20
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

What you want to figure out is how much response you want from a unit of measurement while you are deflecting the stick.  Normally the amount of deflection in X is the same as Y, but you can vary this.  One axis represents the stick movement which can only be from -100% to 100%, and the other axis represents the amount of power applied.

If you look at graph A, you can see this curve is pretty flat against the X axis, then at the end, there is a massive jump to full deflection.  In practice this means that you can push the stick 25% of the way across in the X direction, but it will only give you 1-2% in the Y direction.  The next 25% to half way starts to pick up speed a bit, but the change might still only be 10% for a 50% stick movement.  It's only when you get very close to full deflection that a miniscule input will give a massive proportional movement.

On the other hand, if you use graph B, you will get a massive response early on, and an almost imperceptable amount at full deflection.   Of course these are extreme examples and you can make the curves less severe, and the response from the aircraft is less "twitchy".

If you want a steady camera pan from side to side, you would be looking at the curve in graph A.  This way you don't have to be super accurate with the stick position.  Anything up to half-deflection will only give a few percent of power, and results in a slow pan.  You can deflect a bit more and it will slowly pick up speed.  This will give you a nice smooth cinematographic pan.  You are still able to pan at neck-breaking speeds by pushing it to 100% if that is necessary, but for most times, gentle movements are enough.

There are times when the other curve is desirable, for example if you want to apply it to forward or up, because you want it to be really responsive getting off the line from stationary, e.g. in racing.

In normal operation you will probably want different curves for up/down, forward/back, and rotate (pan).  If you fly with the settings for a while you will develop muscle-memory and the imbalance of deflection to movement in every direction becomes second nature.

On the Phantom, you can only enter between 0.2 and 0.8, I think 0.5 represents a straight diagonal line.  You won't be able to get anything as exaggerated as my example curves, but you can tend towards it, with lower values looking like option A and higher values looking like option B.

You can change the curve by either entering a number between 0.2 and 0.8, or clicking on the curve and dragging it up or down to make it flatter or curvier.
2021-8-21
Use props
cheddar-man
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Thanks for that endotherm, I'll be playing with it shortly and see where I get.
2021-8-21
Use props
cheddar-man
Second Officer

United Kingdom

I have just found another setting that can affect this in the "advanced" settings, the Yaw endpoint. Although in the picture, taken with only my tablet on and running the DJI Go app, it shows a range of 60% - 300, this was not the case when I turned everything on and was ready to fly.
Then the readings changed to 100% - 200% and was set at 150%.
I reduced this as low as it would got 100%, and it did make quite a difference to the rotation speed of the drone. It was quite windy at the time so the rotation was still quite jerky, but definitely slower.
Now waiting for a still day to see what happens.
Even if this does work, I'll still go ahead with a physical modification to the yaw function in the transmitter because I like messing about
IMG_8985.jpg
2021-8-31
Use props
cheddar-man
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Carried out a modification which I've been working on and pleased to say it works a treat.
I can now put the yaw (rotation) stick hard over left or right and control the the speed at which the drone rotates with a potentiometer.

Bit windy so a bit wobbly but you get the idea.

In the attached video, the first couple of rotations are without the mod switched on, stick hard over, and the following ones with the mod switched on,, again stick hard over.

You get the idea.......

IMG_8991-2.jpg
IMG_8992.jpg
2021-9-3
Use props
cheddar-man
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Stick hard to the right so won't move.
I can make it much slower if need be, so quite pleased with the mod.
2021-9-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules