Understanding the battery charge/discharge cycle. Why?
964 6 2015-7-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
remltr
lvl.3

United States

Are the batteries on the Inspire 1 any different than a 6S 5200mah battery that I use on my FW550?

If not, then why do we not discharge the I1 battery to storage level if it is not going to be used, say, in 24 hours time.

After I have flown my FW550 I will take all the batteries and make sure they are discharged to 3.7v.

Why does the I1 wait for 10 days to discharge if not used?

What is the difference?

2015-7-26
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

The purpose of this is to recalibrate the software in the battery that is giving you feedback through the pilot app regarding estimated flight time ...

You can change the setting from 10 days to what ever you would prefere (through the pilot app).
2015-7-26
Use props
remltr
lvl.3

United States

w1der Posted at 2015-7-27 06:11
The purpose of this is to recalibrate the software in the battery that is giving you feedback throug ...

So given your answer would you discharge immediately when you know you won't be flying for 5 days or would you let the setting take precedence if it were set at 10 days?

I guess I am trying to get a feel for what others are doing in terms of discharging.
2015-7-26
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

remltr Posted at 2015-7-27 09:18
So given your answer would you discharge immediately when you know you won't be flying for 5 days  ...

I have been trying to make my mind up about this ...
As of now I have my setting for the battery self discharge to start after 5 days on each of my batteries. And I am fine with leaving it fully charged until it self discharge ...
Note: every time you push the power button on the battery this timer resets!

We have been getting some feedback regarding this from DJI reps ... But we are not 100% clear about how it really works (at least not me) ... But I am satisfied with doing this process every 20 flights or so.

You can find some suggestions on this forum on how to discharge the battery with other things then the Inspire (lamps, fans etc ...) but this has not been confirmed from DJI as an appr or safe way  to do it ... At least not that I know of! How ever it seems to work and the person / persons suggesting this I find as mentaly sound people so if you wanna try it out I am not going to discurage you from it ...

Me amongst others have requested this to be included in the battery firmware (if it can discharge itself to arround 50% it should be able to do it all the way down until the "critical battery level self shut down" is initiated ... But this is not included in the firmware as of now ...
It would also be neat if there was a way to tell the imbedded charger to stop charging at 50% (for safe storage)!
2015-7-26
Use props
remltr
lvl.3

United States

Thaks for the comprehensive answer. At least I know i am not alone wondering why it is done this way.

Is it safe to discharge until the bird shuts off (8%) and leave it there until you charge it up, say 5 days later?

2015-7-27
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

remltr Posted at 2015-7-27 19:42
Thaks for the comprehensive answer. At least I know i am not alone wondering why it is done this way ...

The instructions from multiple sources (both DJI repr and people who as exp of this type of batteries) is to recharge "as soon as possible" ... So ... Dont do a deep discharge if you are not able to charge the battery right after you are finished!

DJI repr said to charge to either 50 or 100% dep on what you intend to do with the battery after it's charged.

As I understand it the intelligent charger turns the battery of just before it starts taking damage of the voltage getting to low ...
If the voltage drops to much it will cause the cells to "break" and it wont charge again ... (So I have been told).
My conclusion is that this is why you would want to recharge the battery right after the discharge process!
2015-7-27
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

I have found lately if I fly and get the battery down to around 18 to 20% and leave it in the case until the next day post flight the battery will show in the app as 0%.  Then just charge up to +50% or above for storage until your next fight then you can just charge fully up to 100% before the actual flight.

2015-7-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules