Loose piece after crash?
662 11 2021-8-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_P7YbhNxN1E2e
lvl.1
United States

I had a small crash with my mini and the attached shield fell out. I can't see where this needs to go. I figure a dab of silicone to re-secure it should work. Has anyone had this type of problem? I don't want to fly in case there are spurious emissions that can cause issues.
Thanks!  Gary

Shield

Shield
2021-8-16
Use props
tomsliwowski
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9413 ft
United States

That looks like one of the RF shields thats on the motherboard as shown on this teardown: https://youtu.be/E7hdTZ2BUSU?t=420 Not sure how it knocked loose.
2021-8-16
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Gary. Thank you for reaching out and for this inquiry. Since there was a crash that happened and a part of the said DJI drone is missing. It would be best to contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support . We have a professional team that will do there best to fix and give out the best resolution for this issue. Again I am sorry for this trouble and please stay safe always.
2021-8-16
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

That shield/cover was on the GPS/IMU board. You would have to take the drone top cover off to access that part. The shield is under the board, so the board has to come off.... or at least raised up. It may be that the ribbon cable has to be unplugged, but you may be able to put the cover back on without unplugging the ribbon cable, which is held on with hot melt glue.
See the teardown video linked in post #2 at 3:59 to see the very quick removal, and at 7:56 to see a description of the board and a view of the location of the cover on the other side.
As always, use static discharge protection methods to avoid damage to the electrical parts.

top removed.jpg
Mini GPS-IMU board.png
2021-8-16
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 8-16 18:49
That shield/cover was on the GPS/IMU board. You would have to take the drone top cover off to access that part. The shield is under the board, so the board has to come off.... or at least raised up. It may be that the ribbon cable has to be unplugged, but you may be able to put the cover back on without unplugging the ribbon cable, which is held on with hot melt glue.
See the teardown video linked in post #2 at 3:59 to see the very quick removal, and at 7:56 to see a description of the board and a view of the location of the cover on the other side.
As always, use static discharge protection methods to avoid damage to the electrical parts.

Very detailed response Gary.  Thanks for always being helpful.    
2021-8-17
Use props
djiuser_P7YbhNxN1E2e
lvl.1
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 8-16 18:18
Hello there Gary. Thank you for reaching out and for this inquiry. Since there was a crash that happened and a part of the said DJI drone is missing. It would be best to contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support . We have a professional team that will do there best to fix and give out the best resolution for this issue. Again I am sorry for this trouble and please stay safe always.

Thanks very much! This was an indoor crash after upgrading the firmware, and I do have the part. I will ask Support for their suggestions.  Gary
2021-8-18
Use props
djiuser_P7YbhNxN1E2e
lvl.1
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 8-16 18:49
That shield/cover was on the GPS/IMU board. You would have to take the drone top cover off to access that part. The shield is under the board, so the board has to come off.... or at least raised up. It may be that the ribbon cable has to be unplugged, but you may be able to put the cover back on without unplugging the ribbon cable, which is held on with hot melt glue.
See the teardown video linked in post #2 at 3:59 to see the very quick removal, and at 7:56 to see a description of the board and a view of the location of the cover on the other side.

Now THAT’S a response! Thank you! I’m not sure about taking it apart but I suppose it’s part of
“Drone life”. I’ll give it a whirl and let you know how I make out.

Thanks again for the help!
2021-8-18
Use props
djiuser_P7YbhNxN1E2e
lvl.1
United States

Thanks to all who responded. Very helpful suggestions. I will post how I make out.

Gary
2021-8-18
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Don't worry too much about breaking the top cover; they are cheap to replace.
2021-8-18
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

djiuser_P7YbhNxN1E2e Posted at 8-18 08:10
Thanks very much! This was an indoor crash after upgrading the firmware, and I do have the part. I will ask Support for their suggestions.  Gary

Hi there Gary. Thank you for the reply and for these additional information that you have given. If you have any other concerns or any inquiries. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are all here to help and assist you. Thank you.
2021-8-19
Use props
djiuser_P7YbhNxN1E2e
lvl.1
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 8-18 14:56
Don't worry too much about breaking the top cover; they are cheap to replace.

Now if I knew where to get one of those dandy tools for prying the cover apart…
2021-8-20
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_P7YbhNxN1E2e Posted at 8-20 06:39
Now if I knew where to get one of those dandy tools for prying the cover apart…

An old credit card or any flat piece of plastic will do just as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1647190 ... :g:g6UAAOSw9jNgNKgl

2021-8-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules