Can a battery cause my Mini 2 to drift while hovering?
572 2 2021-8-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ara.Nova
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11654 ft
United States

Hey everyone, I just got a mini 2 less than a week ago and the first few flights have been incredible. A couple days ago I noticed the drone wouls sometimes drift while hovering. I understand a little bit of drift but this was a bit too much. I centered the drone right in the middle of the landing pad with the gimbal at 90 degrees and within 10-15 seconds the landing pad was almost completely out of frame. I don't think that's an acceptable amount of drift, especially since I was planning on using it to film some sets of tennis. So I calibrated the compass and IMU. Now here's where it gets weird, I tested it out again today to see if it was going to drift, and the first two batteries I used there was no drift, and on the last battery (98%) I used the mini started to drift while hovering. I turned it off, turned it back on with the same battery and hit record this time and it started drifting again. Then I swapped the battery to the previous one (65%) and it no longer drifted while hovering. Also, there was no wind and I wasn't high off the ground at all, just hovering over the landing pad. My only conclusion is that the battery is causing the drift, but that doesn't really make sense to me. Is that even a possibility? Thanks in advance!
2021-8-16
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Ara.Nova. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please try to calibrate the IMU of your DJI Mini 2 and the remote controller of the said DJI Drone as well to see if the issue will still persist. Thank you.
2021-8-16
Use props
Ara.Nova
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11654 ft
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 8-16 21:34
Hello there Ara.Nova. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please try to calibrate the IMU of your DJI Mini 2 and the remote controller of the said DJI Drone as well to see if the issue will still persist. Thank you.

Thanks for the reply! I have already calibrated both the IMU and the controller after I noticed the drift so and it happened again after that. I've isolated the battery that I think is causing it so I will try it again tomorrow with all three batteries and see if it's still happening with the same one.
EDIT: just to add, it doesn't seem like there's any controller input during the drift on the flight logs.
2021-8-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules