5166 31 2021-8-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tony.simek
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hello - For any Mini-2 flyers that have looked at the battery log, hoping you could educate me on what the max temperature is that you have seen.  Just getting some data for my own edification because I do not know what is a normal range during use.
2021-8-16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just checked my logs back to a warm day earlier in the year and I get this -

Min Temperature 24.90c
Max Temperature  36.30c

2021-8-16
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 8-16 23:34
Just checked my logs back to a warm day earlier in the year and I get this -

Min Temperature 24.90c

Thank you!  I appreciate the input.  Some interesting background on why I am asking, I took a short ~12 minute flight the other day with one of my Mini-2's and upon packing up to walk back home, I found that the battery had expanded in-flight to the point it could not be removed.  And I mean it was really in there.  : ) For safety sake I did not want to get to aggressive, but let's just say I worked at it for a bit.  Since it was a fairly new drone and the battery had only been charged five times, DJI support was very good and had me send back to them.  

I pulled the logs off the smart controller, and saw that my battery temp had spiked at the end of the flight to 63c.  Admittedly I live in Arizona, and it was a hot day, but I have flown many times on days equally hot and never had thermal issues like that.  

Given the variance between your highest reported and mine, I am willing to bet on a defective battery being the cause for my issue.  Thank you again!!
2021-8-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TonyPHX Posted at 8-17 00:20
Thank you!  I appreciate the input.  Some interesting background on why I am asking, I took a short ~12 minute flight the other day with one of my Mini-2's and upon packing up to walk back home, I found that the battery had expanded in-flight to the point it could not be removed.  And I mean it was really in there.  : ) For safety sake I did not want to get to aggressive, but let's just say I worked at it for a bit.  Since it was a fairly new drone and the battery had only been charged five times, DJI support was very good and had me send back to them.  

I pulled the logs off the smart controller, and saw that my battery temp had spiked at the end of the flight to 63c.  Admittedly I live in Arizona, and it was a hot day, but I have flown many times on days equally hot and never had thermal issues like that.  

What was your start temperature.   Mini2 is only rated to start at below 40c (104f).
2021-8-17
Use props
Mini2 Flyr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4347785 ft
Australia

Hi tony.simek. I fly my drone in Australia and my Mini 2 battery has on occasion reached a high of 59 degrees celsius. Quite hot but this caused no issues to my drone at all.
2021-8-17
Use props
Alvara74
Second Officer
Flight distance : 30364 ft
United Kingdom

Mini2 Flyr Posted at 8-17 00:51
Hi tony.simek. I fly my drone in Australia and my Mini 2 battery has on occasion reached a high of 59 degrees celsius. Quite hot but this caused no issues to my drone at all.

Doesn't your battery swell?
2021-8-17
Use props
Alvara74
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 8-17 00:27
What was your start temperature.   Mini2 is only rated to start at below 40c (104f).

So does that mean that the battery can start at below 40c but is capable of operating above that temp?
2021-8-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Alvara74 Posted at 8-17 02:26
So does that mean that the battery can start at below 40c but is capable of operating above that temp?

Operating range of the mini itself is 0° to 40°C,  so if its 41c its too hot to take off.
2021-8-17
Use props
marc70
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4762470 ft
Canada

So if I want to fly on a hot day, would it be ok to store my batteries in a cooler? Then load them in my Mini2?
2021-8-17
Use props
djiuser_nO2RdSW5BSUg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 80646017 ft
Poland

I happen to reach the battery temperature even 65 degrees. The air temperature does not exceed 25 degrees. I just do a long flight against a strong wind in sport mode. The battery hasn't broken down yet, but the temperatures are not good for it. The main thing is not to charge a hot battery.
2021-8-17
Use props
Johnny_J
Second Officer

Sweden

djiuser_nO2RdSW5BSUg Posted at 8-17 06:47
I happen to reach the battery temperature even 65 degrees. The air temperature does not exceed 25 degrees. I just do a long flight against a strong wind in sport mode. The battery hasn't broken down yet, but the temperatures are not good for it. The main thing is not to charge a hot battery.

Also when you fly horizontally (not hover) the air intakes will cool the inside of the drone.
2021-8-17
Use props
Johnny_J
Second Officer

Sweden

marc70 Posted at 8-17 05:46
So if I want to fly on a hot day, would it be ok to store my batteries in a cooler? Then load them in my Mini2?

Lithium-ion batteries do not appreciate cold or hot temperatures.
Read more here:
https://enterprise-insights.dji.com/blog/dji-drone-battery-tips
2021-8-17
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

What was your start temperature.   Mini2 is only rated to start at below 40c (104f).

Well below I believe, but I will go back and look!  Thank you for the info!  I did not know about the startup enforcement but that makes good sense to protect the drone and battery!
2021-8-17
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Johnny_J Posted at 8-17 07:04
Lithium-ion batteries do not appreciate cold or hot temperatures.
Read more here:
https://enterprise-insights.dji.com/blog/dji-drone-battery-tips

Good article, thank you!!
2021-8-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TonyPHX Posted at 8-17 11:30
Well below I believe, but I will go back and look!  Thank you for the info!  I did not know about the startup enforcement but that makes good sense to protect the drone and battery!

Have a look at  airdata.com you can sync your last 100 flight logs for free and get some insight into temps etc.

Ps Jonny_j appears to be a troll based on the other posts and doesn't have a DJI drone based on his avatar.
2021-8-17
Use props
djiuser_VWpYJLm4Lky3
lvl.1
Flight distance : 37451 ft

United States

Hello everyone, I always have a question about the battery, when it is charging and all 4 LEDs are on, do I have to wait for them to go out before disconnecting the cable? Thanks for the reply
2021-8-17
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

My starting temp was 27c.  It really heated up near the last 30 seconds of flight, so I think that's when it fried itself.  Thanks again for the data, you helped me understand what I am seeing.
2021-8-17
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 8-17 11:58
Have a look at  airdata.com you can sync your last 100 flight logs for free and get some insight into temps etc.

Ps Jonny_j appears to be a troll based on the other posts and doesn't have a DJI drone based on his avatar.

I also purchased a flight reader license for Windows.  I like having the capability without the upload.
2021-8-17
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_nO2RdSW5BSUg Posted at 8-17 06:47

Agreed.  I always let them sit and acclimatize to indoor temps before putting back on the charging stations.  Good reminder.  My Ryobi power tools batteries will even prevent charging when they come inside hot.
2021-8-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there tony.simek. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Just a reminder that the DJI Mini 2's Operating Temperature is from 0° to 40°C ( 32° to 104°F ). In addition, it is good to know that you have already contacted our DJI support team for assistance with regards to this matter. Thank you
2021-8-17
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_VWpYJLm4Lky3 Posted at 8-17 12:44
Hello everyone, I always have a question about the battery, when it is charging and all 4 LEDs are on, do I have to wait for them to go out before disconnecting the cable? Thanks for the reply

Not if they are solid...
2021-8-17
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 8-17 19:15
Hello there tony.simek. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Just a reminder that the DJI Mini 2's Operating Temperature is from 0° to 40°C ( 32° to 104°F ). In addition, it is good to know that you have already contacted our DJI support team for assistance with regards to this matter. Thank you

Yes, thank you.  I think that when I went flying it was in the upper 90's so I felt pretty good.  Comparing other log files, the battery always reached a peak and never got hotter.  This one was a rare exception.  But yes, DJI care took good care of me!  Thank you!
2021-8-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

TonyPHX Posted at 8-17 20:07
Yes, thank you.  I think that when I went flying it was in the upper 90's so I felt pretty good.  Comparing other log files, the battery always reached a peak and never got hotter.  This one was a rare exception.  But yes, DJI care took good care of me!  Thank you!

Hi there TonyPHX. You are very much welcome and thank you for these additional information that you have given. If you have any other concerns or any inquiries with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are all here to help and assist you. Have a safe and a happy flying always. .
2021-8-18
Use props
Alvara74
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 8-17 03:37
Operating range of the mini itself is 0° to 40°C,  so if its 41c its too hot to take off.

Ah okay, thanks! Also, by these temperatures, do you mean the temperature of the area or the battery temperature?
2021-8-20
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Alvara74 Posted at 8-20 09:13
Ah okay, thanks! Also, by these temperatures, do you mean the temperature of the area or the battery temperature?

Its ambient temperature.
2021-8-21
Use props
Alvara74
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 8-21 00:37
Its ambient temperature.

whats that?
2021-8-24
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18150351 ft
United States

Google is your friend
2021-8-24
Use props
red_canyon16
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23418189 ft
United States

The hottest mine has gotten was 146.7F which is around 63C I think.
2021-8-24
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

red_canyon16 Posted at 8-24 14:32
The hottest mine has gotten was 146.7F which is around 63C I think.

Cool.  Thank you @red_canyon16 for the update.  My 63C was pretty fatal to that battery.  Sounds like you fared better than I did.  : ).

DJI got me fixed up so I'm all good now.
2021-8-24
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

https://lmgtfy.app/?q=ambient+temperature&iie=1
2021-8-24
Use props
Hannibal_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 297126 ft
Netherlands

I am a drone novice, but yesterday the mini 2 also got pretty warm, even before takeoff
I would like to check the temperatures. Where can I find those logs?
2021-8-25
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Hannibal_ Posted at 8-25 00:27
I am a drone novice, but yesterday the mini 2 also got pretty warm, even before takeoff
I would like to check the temperatures. Where can I find those logs?

I connected a USB cable to my smart controller and pulled them off from there.  I then read the data in a app I found online.  Flightreader or something like that.
2021-8-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules